1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
Mercedes c350
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

We have made some adjustments to the following sections:

Off Topic, Cabaret (NSFW), and Test are now only viewable by registered logged-in users on BenzWorld.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,178 Posts
Instead of messing with unimportant things, why are you not getting the forum back to working the way it was before the platform was downgraded?
Pictures still are missing. I today went to several how-tos I had posted previously and they were now useless, because all images were missing. This is not isolated - it occurs in many posts.
We here try to help each other. But BW is making that more and more difficult.

·
Administrator
Mercedes c350
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Instead of messing with unimportant things, why are you not getting the forum back to working the way it was before the platform was downgraded?
Pictures still are missing. I today went to several how-tos I had posted previously and they were now useless, because all images were missing. This is not isolated - it occurs in many posts.
We here try to help each other. But BW is making that more and more difficult.
Can you provide examples of this?

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
We have provided examples for months now in this community forum. Here is one:

here is another

There are more. All worked before the new platform screwed up the site.

More pics missing from this valuable thread:

Picture at bottom of post #5 here is missing:

Some how, I have my doubts you will get these and the many other screwed up posts fixed. You have been made aware of the problems for 1/2 a year. Too bad you destroyed our valuable work.
Maybe make it a community project. Allow original poster and sub forum moderators to edit all posts. In some cases original poster may no longer be here, but mods may be able to make corŕections. If you dont want help, just let us know and we will move on.

·
Administrator
Mercedes c350
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I wanted to see the most up to date examples as we've been extensively working towards resolving things.
I see no history of pictures in post one and all other photos are displaying here.

I see images here too, is there a specific part of the thread you're not seeing the images?

I see the thumbnail images which can be expanded if you click on them. Are others missing?

Picture at bottom of post #5 here is missing:

I see that one too.

Please let me know if I am missing anything obvious, or if I need to screen shot the images for y'all. But they are displaying on my end, so if they're not for you that may be a further conversation to explore. Please otherwise provide examples of any photos missing in the forum.

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
When I posted those links a few days ago, most of those images were not displaying. Now some of them are. They always did show in edit mode, but not when the post was saved.

Where images are lumped together as thumbnails, most of those should be in-line as they were originally. Having them at bottom is not useful. This thread that is often referred to has that problem. Images are there as thumbnails, but they are not in-line to make them meaningful. In past the forum had a paperclip feature that allowed images to be located in-line

I and no doubt others will continue to advise of missing images. And if for some reason the images in the above links stop displaying again.

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Hey, I wanted to see the most up to date examples as we've been extensively working towards resolving things.
Hey - not sure why you said up to date examples. Any examples will be from right when the platform screwed up the forums.

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
I see the thumbnail images which can be expanded if you click on them. Are others missing?

-Gerrit

Do you see a picture in Pos#1 of above link??? If so please post screen shot. Or check on the archived forum to see if it showed there.

And as mentioned, images should be in-line where they were before the changes.

·
Administrator
Mercedes c350
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I posted those links a few days ago, most of those images were not displaying. Now some of them are. They always did show in edit mode, but not when the post was saved.

Where images are lumped together as thumbnails, most of those should be in-line as they were originally. Having them at bottom is not useful. This thread that is often referred to has that problem. Images are there as thumbnails, but they are not in-line to make them meaningful. In past the forum had a paperclip feature that allowed images to be located in-line

I and no doubt others will continue to advise of missing images. And if for some reason the images in the above links stop displaying again.
Were the original images attached onto the post or were they submitted inline with the text for editing. That may be why they're displaying differently.

Hey - not sure why you said up to date examples. Any examples will be from right when the platform screwed up the forums.
Since launching on the new software, we've been putting out regular weekly updates, within some of these updates were fixes to many of the existing image issues. Some have made things work, but work differently. That's why we're looking for examples that are currently not working, rather than examples that have been resolved. :)

Do you see a picture in Pos#1 of above link??? If so please post screen shot. Or check on the archived forum to see if it showed there.

And as mentioned, images should be in-line where they were before the changes.
Unfortunately there is no archive to be retireved of this page

From what the techs and I have been able to look into I see no image that is missing. I can pursue this further, but do you have any recollection what the missing image is?

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
https://web.archive.org/web/20090728182953/http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1460113-component-location-thread.html

Actually there is. Just don't make too many requests of WEb Archive. Post one shows below. Another administrator told us that you had kept a backup of the site as it was before the downgrade. That would have been a smart move. But now it seems you are relying on the wayback machine?

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Were the original images attached onto the post or were they submitted inline with the text for editing. That may be why they're displaying differently.
On the old platform, we could upload images from our computer or we could use a link to an image hosting site or from another web site or even another post on BW. Linked images could be included within the text. Uploaded images would by default be at bottom of post either full size or as thumbnails. But those uploaded images could be relocated to within text using the paperclip feature.

All of these were possible and were used. Each person may have done it differently.

All images should now appear in their original location. Only ones that could be missing, would be those from defunct image hosting sites.

In my own case, I was given long term editing capability because Dropbox changed their image linking format. I spent a lot of time finding links that did not work and corrected them. But then your new software came a long and screwed up a lot of those. May explain why I am more upset than some about this. I would like to go back and fix some of these, but you don't allow us to edit our own posts.

·
Administrator
Mercedes c350
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the old platform, we could upload images from our computer or we could use a link to an image hosting site or from another web site or even another post on BW. Linked images could be included within the text. Uploaded images would by default be at bottom of post either full size or as thumbnails. But those uploaded images could be relocated to within text using the paperclip feature.

All of these were possible and were used. Each person may have done it differently.

All images should now appear in their original location. Only ones that could be missing, would be those from defunct image hosting sites.

In my own case, I was given long term editing capability because Dropbox changed their image linking format. I spent a lot of time finding links that did not work and corrected them. But then your new software came a long and screwed up a lot of those. May explain why I am more upset than some about this. I would like to go back and fix some of these, but you don't allow us to edit our own posts.
We have some additional "edit window" tweaks rolling out tomorrow so that should help allow additional edits.

We’ve made some changes to editing permissions. Members now have unlimited edit permissions for up to 10 discussion posts, 10 showcase posts and 10 gallery posts per week. That will allow those who wish to update a project thread, correct a typo or update event information to do so, even if the post is from months ago. The new edit limits feature includes unlimited editing of new posts - fix that typo or add more details as often as you like, within 24 hours of posting.

To summarize how editing works, members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.

As always, moderating team members will have access to edit as they always have.

Members can access the edit function on their own posts by clicking the three dot action button next to the timestamp on their post.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
It is now "tommorrow", so I tried to edit one of my old posts. Received this message:
You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days
I guess this is not working yet??

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
15 days since I asked above question.

This today when attempting edit of old post (first try in over 2 weeks)

You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days

·
Administrator
Mercedes c350
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for these reports. We're compiling date as we work towards a resolution, but these bugs tend not to be easy to squash. I appreciate your patience as we continue to work out each bump along our path towards a fix.

-Gerrit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts