Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed the fluid this morning and here's what I found. I took out almost 8 quarts of oil Is this normal? It only took about 6ish to fill. Trans. shifts much smoother, butterier now and the thump upon deceleration is gone (I'm still changing my guibos). One thing I'm noticing is that "R"everse is slower to engage.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,151 Posts
You probably changed some very old fluid (due to service neglect) that was the only thing holding the trans together.

With the fresh fluid, it has different properties and thus your trans behaves differently. BTW, what fluid did you use?

In any case, your trans was very likely already on the way out.

The only way to get max life out of these transmission is to change the fluid and filter every 25K miles. I change ATF every 15K miles with a filter at every other interval.

How many miles on the unit? The average lifespan is about 150K miles, but I've seen them go before 100K and I've seen them go beyond 250K miles. It all depends on how they were driven and how they were serviced.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,682 Posts
This is due too...???
The delay in engagement of R is a characteristic of reverse going out. Many of us have gotten yrs of service and miles driven with it slow to engage, so don't think of it letting next week, or next time you drive the car. Several members have continued to drive their cars with no reverse, also for years and miles added.

My suggestion is to just pay attention to the car as you normally would. Make sure you are completely stopped before changing directions and reverse is complety engaged. Start making some plans on what you want to do with the car and the investment you'll need to make in it.

Good luck

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The records I inherited:

Trans fluid/filter changed at 115K (type of oil used unknown)
Trans fluid/filter changed at 152K (synthetic oil used)

Trans fluid/filter changed at 167K today by me.
I used Schaeffer Trans. Supreme, it's what I've always used. I did the research and it meets the requirements.

·
Registered
W124
4,898 Posts
The slow engagement of reverse is usually due to wear on the clutch discs and the extra time needed to compress the clutch pack. Its not the end of the world. As others will tell you, they can go years without the trans failing. If you are cognizant that you should only select reverse when the car is stopped and not while its rolling you will help it last much longer. That said, a rebuilt will oddly last much longer than the original. Most likely this is due to better parts going in on a rebuild than were originally spec'd and installed at the factory. MB is not infallible.

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,066 Posts
I would be a little concerned that the transmission was apparently overfilled. To much fluid can cause foaming inside the transmission housing which ironically can lead to lack of lubrication on key components like bearings, gears, and clutch packs. Drive it carefully and make sure the fluid level is correct.

·
Registered
17,151 Posts
Well, you've gotten your money out of the trans mileage wise. However, the trigger was very likely caused by the PO by putting in synthetic fluid at 152K mi. Synthetic fluid is slippier and causes the clutch packs to slip easier. Using synthetic on a high mileage transmission is a big no no.

These transmission are too old to benefit from synthetic technology, and if you are intent on using synthetic only do so when the trans is brand new and then stick with it exclusively.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,613 Posts
When my '95 reverse clutch went, it was a slow and steady decline. First slow engaging only when hot then even cold, and eventually when hot, no engagement. It took about 1-2 years.
Luckily never had to push it out of my garage as it was cold starts every time. I'm sure many have experienced this.

Last time I took it for CA smog was a bit embarrassing. Passed smog in flying colors but got stuck on the rollers. 3 of us had to rock it back and forth the get it out.

Definitely have to plan ahead when parking, never park down hill where your front is blocked.

My Mercedes mechanic with 40+ years experience told me that the problem is the reverse clutch seal which was made of plastic. Eventually they wear and do not hold pressure (especially when the fluid viscosity changes when hot.

He also told me that the rebuilt ones do last longer because the replacement seal is metallic not plastic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car is shifting silky smooth. When it comes to reverse, I don't know if it's slow to engage or that it's shifting so smooth that I do not feel when it does?!?!?!
I put it in reverse and I don't hear or feel anything, I press the gas and she moves. I do not feel the engagement. It's kind of disconcerting.
We'll drive her until she stops. In the meantime, I already looked at Sun Valley and their prices...$1750, trans. for my car.
Thanks for the tip sbaert.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
17,151 Posts
Since you are feeling little to no engagement, I highly recommend you crank up the modulator (white lever) to the fully forward position (max clockwise). That is about the only thing you can do in the interim.

Also, do not do any further trans fluid and filter changes. Any further disturbance to the box will likely only make it worse very quickly.

·
Registered
W124
4,898 Posts
The car is shifting silky smooth. When it comes to reverse, I don't know if it's slow to engage or that it's shifting so smooth that I do not feel when it does?!?!?!
Try Going from Park to Neutral on a flat surface. Take your foot off the brake and put it in Reverse to see when the car starts moving.

·
Registered
1989 300CE & 1971 280SE; 73.5 911T
161 Posts
Shifter bushings. Have you checked their condition?
By the mileage on your W124 the shifter bushings are either cracked or have fallen out. (Unless they have been replaced recently.)

This is a photo showing the rear shifter bushing that has just been replaced, the front bushing is a little trickier because a lever must be removed to access the bushing.

When this happens, you will experience sloppy shifting.

Changing the (2) shifter bushings from underneath the car is a DIY project for anyone who can change ATF fluid & filter.
MercedesSource.com sells 2 special tools & the bushings & grease, that make it a doable job. I just did mine with no previous experience. It took me a couple hours.

·
Registered
W124
4,898 Posts
^ is it an optical illusion or is your O2 sensor harness getting perilously close to the drive shaft?

·
Registered
1989 300CE & 1971 280SE; 73.5 911T
161 Posts
^ is it an optical illusion or is your O2 sensor harness getting perilously close to the drive shaft?

Thanks, but it is just miles away- I sure see what you mean though!
It's factory original placement- I'll replace it when I get some extra cash, meanwhile it's okay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts