Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i didnt have time to work on the ride in the past few weeks, was finishing up my last med school rotation in the ICU

anyways, got to it today, and im still no farther,

ok lets start with the steering. i got the momo adapter, its got 6 holes to match the steering but i dont get how its supposed to be installed with that plastic cover over the shaft. Does the hub go on first, then the wheel, or can i put the wheel on the hub first then onto the car..

actually, let me start with the fact i cant even get the original wheel off. i bought a 10mm allen tool and stuck it onto my wrench set, but the damn thing wont budge . what the heck do i do.

as for the gear, whatever, i still cant get that top of the box open, cuz the damn thing is one piece all the way down . there are bolts on each side, but the left side is no accessable. arraggghh

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ML270
531 Posts
To remove the 10mm bolt from the steering you will need someone to take the load against the steering lock to prevent damage to the lock mechanism.

Get as long a bar as you can that will fit with your socket set.

Some people have had to use crazy amounts of force to get it undone.

I am in the same position as you with the gear lever, I cannot figure out how the top housing of the shifter assembly comes off, I can only see the two bolts at the front bottom edge which cannot be reached without taking the sides off the centre console.

Matt.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
OK, the shift lever top..there are two slide in clips on the front of it right under the top of the shift gate They are on opposing sides. A small screw driver takes them out. Worst case, you can take the 4 10mm bolts out to gain access.

In regards to your wheel, what are you using for leverage? I have never found one that I could not get apart, and I've taken many, many wheels off. Again, a 10mm hex on a 1/2 inch base along w/ the half inch breaker bar. If that won't do it (i'd be AMAZED) you can put a pipe on the breaker bar to add more leverage. W/ the pipe you should have no issue exceeding 300 ft/lbs of force. With just the breaker 200 lbs should Not be a problem.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2004 ML270
531 Posts
Thanks Jonathon, I have pulled those two plastic clips out but still couldn't figure what came apart at that point.

Any hints?

Cheers
Matt.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mattman, LOL, thanks for being in this with me, LOL

in pic 6-8 that i posted has those pins that we speak of, i slipped those out on the left side, but on the right, its not identical to the left, theres some sort of long paperclip looking thing, with a black wire behind it.

the 10mm bolts at the bottom are really hard to get to , esp the ones on the left, like matman was saying

as for the wheel, i gave it a spray of wd40, but still no good. the wrench im using is the basic 9inch wrench, with a 6 inch extension. i guess il lneed to get a bigger wrench.

do i need to unscrew those 5 screws around the hex? ir just the 10mm hex. thanks

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
the right side clip you are speaking of is for the B lockout/first gear start.

6 inches doesn't cut it;-)

No, just the hex.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2004 ML270
531 Posts
As Jonathon says, that paper clip piece is an easy to reach tab to pull out the electrical connection for the B switch.

You will definitely need a longer bar plus someone to take the strain against the locking mechanism.

There are two plastic clips at the front edge on my shifter housing, these are little plastic pins that pulled straight out.

So Jonathon, you pull those two clips out and then what? Nothing appeared to move for me.

Cheers
Matt.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have 2 pins on the front, its smooth on the front of the box, i dont even feel a line that would seperate it into 2 pieces, i just have the clips on left and the thing on right, mat can u post pics of yours, thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
From what my mechanic has told me, pre 1986 cars had a different mounting essembly for the shifter and the steering wheel, than the newer models. True?

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went out and got a 18 inch or so torq wrench and went at it on the wheel. it worked, tho i heard a big snap as i was doing it, i dont think the wrench was made for that. oh well.

anywayws, i havent taken the wheel off yet cuz i am not totally sure what to do next.

how do i put the momo pieces together, in what order, thanks

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
vdubpower - 4/25/2005 4:44 PM

i dont have 2 pins on the front, its smooth on the front of the box, i dont even feel a line that would seperate it into 2 pieces, i just have the clips on left and the thing on right, mat can u post pics of yours, thanks
Take some pictures of your shifter using the infinity setting on your camera - a little flower should show in the display. They will come out clear and we can hopefully help.

tw

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
How much smaller is the AMG steering wheel compared with the original mercedes wheel? Same size or just a tad smaller? I believe the AMG wheels are 380mm in diameter... not sure on the Mercedes wheel.

What would a person with an air bag wheel have to do thats different? I assume there are 2-10mm bolts to undo on each side of the airbag on the back side, and then pop off the airbag and take out the large nut in the middle holding the steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The stock MB wheel as fitted to w126/w124/w123 etc models was 420mm.

The AMG wheels fitted in the 80's (as the one pictured above) were all 400mm.

The airbag is removed by using a T30 Torx bit on the 2 bolts holding it on the rear of the wheel. Don't forget to disconnect the RED MOLEX connector BEFORE any activity with the steering wheel. Disconnecting the battery is not good enough as capacitors within the airbag control module hold enough power to activate airbag (in the event of battery becoming disconnect in an accident). Must disconnect airbag system connector !

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
talbir - 4/27/2005 9:55 AM

The stock MB wheel as fitted to w126/w124/w123 etc models was 420mm.

The AMG wheels fitted in the 80's (as the one pictured above) were all 400mm.

The airbag is removed by using a T30 Torx bit on the 2 bolts holding it on the rear of the wheel. Don't forget to disconnect the RED MOLEX connector BEFORE any activity with the steering wheel. Disconnecting the battery is not good enough as capacitors within the airbag control module hold enough power to activate airbag (in the event of battery becoming disconnect in an accident). Must disconnect airbag system connector !
Thanks for the reply.. can you tell me more about this "red molex"? Where is this part located and how does it look?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The red molex connector is usually found under the passenger dash - it is a red/flame colour, about 3 inches long and thin with rounded corners.

Once you drop the pass side dash panel, you'll see it clearly - snap-together type connector.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
I just updated mine in the same way, The amg wheel sticks out a little further than the stock one and it is just a tad smaller around as well, as for the shifter replacement, i found it much eisier to take the center console loose to remove the shifter (replaced mine with the 560 one with the leather knob and panel that has a light instead of fiber optics) you have to remember on the right hand side of the shifter, wire harness is strapped to the shifter (at least on most models) and it would be much eisier to just lift up the center than try to work around it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, so im back and ineed to get this steering wheel installed asap

so i got the 10 hex loosened, now before i take it off, can someone please tell me how im supposed to put the momo on, as above in those pics, there is the hub, some metal round thing and the wheel, it came with 6 screws and an allen wrench too. so how do i go about doing this, please

ill also take some pics of the gearbox in macro mode

1 - 18 of 18 Posts