Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i shipped my G 200 miles away to have the next "local" mb dealer work on it. The service manager called to update me on the problems with answers, My current probles are:

1) cd nav will not eject,
Dealer: said the cd's where to thick for the car, they have no clue what this means because cd are the same size, waiting on more info from mb

2) Drivers Illuminated door sills does not illuminate.
Dealer:Broekn something in the relay parts ordered.

3) Doors do not unlock when you open the front door. Dealer: Broken something so the car does not know the door is open, its tied into the door sill problem.

4) Transfercase in HI,
Dealer: Ordered new switch

5) Traction light flashes still:
Dealer, working on that.

6) Random message to see work shop.
Dealer: Not sure of what it is, car is showing misfires, ordered new plugs, wires, and some other suff.

7) transfercase has a leak,
Dealer: nothing listed yet, he might not have gotten to it.

8) Steering wheel is off to the right,
Dealer: nothing listed yet, he might not have gotten to it.

9) Visit work shop message, brake fluid low.
Dealer, Not sure what the problem is, mechanic has not finished the paper work but parts have been ordered.

So needless to say i am very happy that we are getting some place with my car. They seem to know 100 times more about them that my local dealer. She said yesterday that she will call with a update on it today.

So after 42,000 miles of problmes i might get a G that works!

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
For a 2002 G, your problems sound pretty bad. But then again, wasn't 2002 the year that the G500 suffered from the most electronic glitches?

On the bright side, at least your G will be fixed! [:)]

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i have had a LOT of problems. jenny said my on last tirp that mb has paid $11,750 in clames, and now im back for 10 more....

I wish i could find a 01 back black on black car i would trade in a heart beat... or a cheap 04...

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Kerr - 4/21/2005 4:22 PM

yea i have had a LOT of problems. jenny said my on last tirp that mb has paid $11,750 in clames, and now im back for 10 more....

I wish i could find a 01 back black on black car i would trade in a heart beat... or a cheap 04...
01's are extremely rare and were leftovers from the 00 year model at Europa. Find a 00, and you'll have an identical truck.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Based on Marco's experience, it seems finding the right shop/dealer is very much the solution to most problems with these trucks. Not that i'm trying to steer you away from the older trucks, especially since you want to go big tires. YOu might really want to consider at least bargaining for an extended warranttee like a couple others have done... you certainly can show for how much you've been inconvenienced so far. It would be nice to get your first bearing service done on the dealers tab.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
ewalberg - 4/21/2005 4:19 PM

You might really want to consider at least bargaining for an extended warranttee...
Excellent advice Erik! Extended warrantees on the MB G-class is the best way to go. [:)]

·
Registered
02 G500 Sold. Moved to Texas. Presently 2016 G550 & 2016 350 GLE
705 Posts
I would about give 2 to 1 odds that you will not get every problem in your Gwagen fixed.....especially the flashing ESP light! Good Luck![;)]

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
hey Thai!... saigon smuggler...

Saigon, you've got the g320 rims on your truck now with equivalent size tires to stock... Is the esp behaving the same? or better? or worse?

The reason i bring this up again, though it has been disputed, is because i'm not convinced that MB properly adjusted the programming to deal with the different offset of rims. It can be reasonably argued that it shouldn't make any difference, but i did a calculation a while back, and i think for a 30 or 50' turning circle (i can't remember which) the difference in offset actually would make for a 3% difference in rotation rates of the inside and outside tires from one set of rims to the other. THis doesn't sound much, but considering that 3% change also correspondes to the rate change associated with upsizing your tires by an inch, it's actually pretty significant because it'd be like having 31's on one side of the truck and 32's on the other in a relatively tight turning circle... and considering that the vehicle has a setting for "worn tires" it should mean that little changes in tire diameter should make a difference, as well as just plain old air pressure. People have had problems just with variations in air pressure.

Easy way to test this would be to throw on the fresh spare when the other tires are bald and see what happens.

SO the reason i'm buggin' thai is because if he's got less esp issues, the largest change he's made is to the offset of his rims and not the diameter or air pressure.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a set 16 inch wheels as well but have not had the money to buy the tires yet. that and i think i will hold out till i check on srping.

Anyway with the stock 18" wheels i went to a 275-65-18 the blinking light slowed down with them aired to 45 psi. when i put the 80 psi like the tire siad i get it a lot more now.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Hi Fellas -

Kerr -

You will find when you get a dealer who is honest and knowledgeable that you will have a 2002 "TOYOTA". (I know what I am saying and it is being said for an audience beyond the MB owners who monitor this board). I have 50 K and will be driving back and forth to DC this week end (500 miles)as I did the past two weeks. Nothing. No lights. No visit workshop. Just happiness.

Ewalberg -

16 inch rims and tires. 265/70/16 BFG AT KO. No ESP light issues. Is it less likely to go into the death triangle - YES. Is it impossible to light up every traction warning - NO. Rides great and is unbelievable in bad weather on or off (lightly off) road.

I repeat. Brain transplant, new rims, new wheels, new dealer. NEW OUTLOOK!

MarcO

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
I agree 100% with Marco. My ESP light has not come on at all...however, ESP was NOT an issue either with my old 18" rims. I drive like a grandma...so, i am not a good case.

The ride is better for sure. My G is as speedy as with stock rims. I will talk more in another thread with pics.

Thai.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
abs kill switch.

It looks good that they're actually identified that many problems... considering the last dealer sent it home with you that way.

Quick, make sure and thank them for the nice service, and tell them you'll tell your friends. Then tell them your ESP is very very sensitive for your driving style. Tell them it would really help if they could find a way of reducing it's sensitivity for you.

You have the GK rims? Those have more offset than your stock rims and so you may have trouble. You might not, but there is a reasonable chance you will. I'd work with the dealer or consider installing an ABS kill switch, because it should allow you to shut all traction systems down without affecting anything else... and i'll bet that it will not come on again at any speed if you install a switch.

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
RE: hey Thai!... saigon smuggler...

ewalberg - 4/22/2005 11:13 AM

Saigon, you've got the g320 rims on your truck now with equivalent size tires to stock... Is the esp behaving the same? or better? or worse?

The reason i bring this up again, though it has been disputed, is because i'm not convinced that MB properly adjusted the programming to deal with the different offset of rims. It can be reasonably argued that it shouldn't make any difference, but i did a calculation a while back, and i think for a 30 or 50' turning circle (i can't remember which) the difference in offset actually would make for a 3% difference in rotation rates of the inside and outside tires from one set of rims to the other. THis doesn't sound much, but considering that 3% change also correspondes to the rate change associated with upsizing your tires by an inch, it's actually pretty significant because it'd be like having 31's on one side of the truck and 32's on the other in a relatively tight turning circle... and considering that the vehicle has a setting for "worn tires" it should mean that little changes in tire diameter should make a difference, as well as just plain old air pressure. People have had problems just with variations in air pressure.

Easy way to test this would be to throw on the fresh spare when the other tires are bald and see what happens.

SO the reason i'm buggin' thai is because if he's got less esp issues, the largest change he's made is to the offset of his rims and not the diameter or air pressure.
The offset makes no difference for the computer.
More offset is for less rolling in corners, ESP is sensitive for that, so it's better.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
I suspect if people wouldn't pay attention to the flashing light they would stop complaining. I would guess that less than 5% of the time that the light flashes will ESP kick in enough for you to feel anything.

I don't, and never had, ESP issues so maybe I just don't get it. Granted I rarely look at the dash or speedo especially while turning. I also watch my tire pressure and keep it around 32. Anything higher and ESP is more likely to flash and the ride suffers.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
ESP vs ETS

nothing tells you when the triangle is flashig whether it is ESP or ETS. Especially in a turn under acceleration it probably is ETS, managing near perfect traction. Only when you feel a significant decrease in torque with the triangle flashing - then you will have ESP at work. However, ESP involvement can be quite subtle. Going downhill with a heavy trailer pushing my triangle comes on frequently without decrease in engine torque and I am certain, that it is ESP.
http://www.4x4abc.com/esc-esp.html

Harald

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
TH,

I have to disagree that offset doesn't affect the system. Offset defines your track width, and your track width affects the difference in rotation rates between the inside and outside tires in a turn, and that's being being measured to determine tire slip. In a staight line, your are correct, but once you enter a turn of any kind, for a given turning radius (or steering wheel position) you will have different rotation rates at eash tires. Change the offset and you change the rates, and the computer does use that to sense tire slippage.

UN mobile had less issues with "the traingle" after running 28 psi rather than say 32 psi, and Marco gets less warnings running 16" et63 wheels than 18" et43 wheels. In both of these situations, the owners "should" be experiencing more body roll but the changes result in less warnings instead of more. The gyroscope will be used to trigger the system, but it's doesn't appear to be what's at play in these case.

I could still be totally wrong, but then what has changed so that marco observes less system sensitivity? And why would 28psi make for a less sensitive system than 32psi? FOr marco, maybe the BFG at/ko's have a stiffer sidewall for even less body roll despite more sidewall? for UN mobile, maybe the lower tire pressure makes for such an improvement in traction that the increase in body roll is negligible?

In a straight line, offset doesn't matter, but when turning, it's the biggest change i see in these cases.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Erik, what you're saying makes sense to me. Do pre-2002 G500's have an ESP OFF switch? Wouldn't it be less stress/headache if you could just turn the system off and drive without it?

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Well, the ESP is overrated, but it is sensitive for air pressure. Probably the US-ESP is programmed more sensitive ( the G55 Kompressor ESP is far less sensitive than standard ), but I know, the offset is no problem.
I use 9,5x18 ET50 with 265-60-18 and I have less ESP activating than with 7,5x16 ET63 with mounted 265-70-16 winter tires, it depends on air pressure.
The Theory may be ok, in daily use not, ask 10 owners and you will get 7 seperate answers about their active ESP.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
differential lock system and traction systems...

First a little technical background. When a diffential is locked, the ABS doesn't turn back on until the sensor in the axle reads that the lock has disengaged. So even if you try and unlock your differentials... if they stay stuck and locked, the ABS wont come back on until they unlock.

The only traction system the older interior has is ABS. Which is to my heavy footed tastes. Harald has some pretty good examples of how the new traction systems can help when towing... but i don't tow. Ask AlanMcR and Tom Deckowski if i like driving fast on dirt roads. As long as i can see around the corners, (i'm not into head on collisions) sliding through a turn is quite fun. Having ABS turned off is quite useful when you realize there's a nasty pot hole ahead becuase stopping distances can be scary long on dirt roads with ABS running.

Back on subject... Now, the ABS kill switch simply grounds the very same wire that gets grounded when the differential lock sensors reads a diff has been fully locked. What this means is that my truck doesn't appear to know the difference between sensing that a differential is phsically locked, or wether you've just grounded a wire with a switch. So for the new trucks, although the harness may no longer bein in the dash, wiring a switch that can ground a specific pin of the diff lock actuator box (which you can see sitting in the dash) should cut all the systems at any speed because they shouldn't be allowed to operate unless all the differentials are free to rotate. Even if the truck can turn off the buttons in the dash the system shouldn't come back on because the switch will keep the wire grounded even after the diffs are unlocked.

Most of all, I like the switch because it allows me to drive on dirt roads for hours without having the vacuum pump running constantly and stressing the seals in the system (which it's been speculated can fail due to the stress from the vacuum pump which may generate 2-3 times more vacuum than necessary).

Is that all clear as mud? If anybody cares, i'll pull out the wiring diagram and figure out which pin it is.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
When did Marco changed out to the 16" rims?? Did he do this AFTER MB fixed his G's computer system?? I know that there was a fix for ESP issues on early G500's. Apparently, the ESP would go off too easily...the fix made ESP less sensitive.

So, if Marco switched out the rims AFTER the computer fix, then the rims had nothing to do with his ESP sensitivity.

Marco is the only one that can answer this question.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts