Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2003 Clk 500(sold) , 2005 Chrysler Crossfire(sold) 2000 S430
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i brought my car home today and decided to clean it up a little bit. I had a problem with the battery so I was cleaning the cables. after a little I was getting ready to leave and I turned on the car tried to accelerate, no acceleration. Then the car started idling around 1000 going up and down. the car moves in gear whether in reverse or drive. but it will not accelerate.

ANY IDEAs?????

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried it.. unfortunately it did not work. When I start the car, it idles at 1000rpm and when i touch the gas it starts going up and down a few hundred rpm. im uploading a video onto youtube right now. hopefully it will give a better understanding of the problem

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
Can you please explain what you did to the battery & cables before this issue arose? What was the battery problem? Did you disconnect the cables? Was the key out at the time, or had you left it in position 1 or 2? (That sort of detail might help to figure out if it was something you did that caused it.)

Have any warning lights come on? Like BAS/ESP, ETS? Do you happen to have a code reader?

Have you checked the terminal connections since this issue began? You could have low voltage to your electronics, or fried something like your pedal value sensor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did disconnect the cables, but the car was off. The reason why I was cleaning them was because the connection was not stable. sometime the car would not start and i would have to move around the positive and negative cable to get the car to start

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
That's much better, thanks.

Is the car shifting gears, or does it go 'clunk' straight from N into 2nd gear only?

Your BAS/ESP light was always on? For how long? Weeks or months?

BTW, I think you need to reset your service indicator. But first perform the service.

After you disconnect the battery, you must do basic programming to reset your electronics. Search this forum for it, follow the procedure, and please report back.

Basic programming w163

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the bas esp light has been on for over a year now. and the car shifts fine. im not sure what it can be. theres no CEL so i dont know if it could be some maintenance issue like spark plugs

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Try the procedure again (hopefully you are only turning the ignition on to pos. #2) but this time after starting the truck after the 10 sec. wait, let the truck idle on it own for a few minutes before touching the gas pedal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thats where another problem lies about a year ago the key broke in the ignition. MB dealer was charging 1500 so instead we installed a button to start the car so now its only on or off there is no different positions. Also i just took the car out again and it seems that the car is accelerating as if its at 1000 rpm the its not idling there the car is going faster then it would be if i wasnt touching the pedal. I hope that makes sense

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
Have you disconnected the battery before (a year ago)? If you did, was the steering angle sensor reactivated? That would cause BAS/ESP malfunction.

How did you go after basic programming and 43sqd's ECM reset?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
thats where another problem lies about a year ago the key broke in the ignition. MB dealer was charging 1500 so instead we installed a button to start the car so now its only on or off there is no different positions. Also i just took the car out again and it seems that the car is accelerating as if its at 1000 rpm the its not idling there the car is going faster then it would be if i wasnt touching the pedal. I hope that makes sense
Half the story is no story at all. Then why did you say you performed the procedure and it didn't work?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i could not do the basic programming because of the that reason. And I did disconnect the cabbles many times before nothing like this has every happened. Also 43sqd I did the procedure that you recommended to me. In the instruction list am i suppose to turn the car on for 60 seconds and then shut it off? or just turn the key accessory mode. when i followed them i started it.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,752 Posts
The fact that you bypassed the factory starting procedure with a 'button' pretty much negates any solutions that may be offered. These systems are incredibly complex and different programs rely on one another for proper operation.

Spark plugs are not going to fix the problem..........

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you think the problem might have anything to do with the egr valve being clogged. the car is at 130k miles and its never been cleaned

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
The plot thickens ...

You can turn the broken key blade, right? Can you pull it out? If so, fix it.

I know what happened. Your key got stuck in the ignition so you tried to remove it with force. You should be able to reattach it to the fob. If you can't pull it out, search this forum for solutions. "Key stuck in ignition, help!" Happens all the time.

How long since your last oil change? Your engine isn't no-maintenance, you know.

Forget about the EGR for now. That's not the current problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nope the there was a only a small portion of the key in there. I used to be able to turn it then one day went too far in. Had to get the car towed. Had three different locksmith come and try and get it out. it ended up having to be drilled out. I do perform regular maintenance on the car but as for the years before i got the car im not so sure. it could be better

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
You're right about the "unusual" part.

I'm still curious about how you broke the key inside the ignition. Perhaps you broke it outside and used superglue because you had no spare. Transverse failure of the blade within the cylinder seems impossible.

Anyway, that is ultimately what started the chain of events that led to the current predicament. Your permanent hot-wire solution means your truck's ignition is usually on (i.e. key in position 2) including all the electronics. Reconnecting the battery in these circumstances is similar to pulling the battery from your laptop while the hard drive is writing. Not good.

Did you read and perform the steering angle sensor reset? That might fix the BAS/ESP light.

-730 d means your B-service is exactly 2 years overdue. Does the number keep increasing, or is the FSS indicator going "I've been trying to remind him for 2 years, so I give up"?

As for the current predicament, there's no quick and cheap fix this time. There is always power to at least one part of the ECM, hence it forgets before it counts to 10 starts if you disconnect it. The electrical state of the ECM is obviously different between position 0 and position 2, which allows the reset procedure.

You'll need to revert whatever you did with the start button system and get your ignition lock turning so you can select positions 0, 1 and 2. That's the only way you can reprogram the ECM according to 43sqd's instructions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
DrX, the OP never said that the ignition was stuck in position 2.....
Coco, since my curiosity has arose while reading this thread, what position is the ignition in anyway. I can see how the assumption is made its position 2 to have the start/stop button work......but did you for some god forsaken idea create a start/stop button which starts the engine with the key in any other position? If thats even possible i dont know.....

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
Man and I thought I had the most Ghetto fabulous 163 at the moment. I'm not sure I could live with that issue, especially for the long period you have. I say you got lucky for the run you had.

Did your mileage indicator stop working? You said it has 130K but looking at the video I'm seeing 23,585.

Find a 10% off Benz service coupon and get that key fixed if that is your only option. If not, I would part the truck out. It's worthless in it's current condition without a key.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts