Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
That's a cool design.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Now thats 1 of a kind! Way ahead of it's time for that...after a 1957 Fairlane 500

·
Registered
328 Posts
By the looks of the rainbow design on the seats the car looks like it used to belong to the ''RAINBOW SHEIKH'' Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi in the UAE. He must have given it away as a gift to someone who sold it on and ended up in Germany. The sheikh doesn't sell his cars he either puts them in his car museum or gives them away as gifts. The vehicle is not a one off I have seen two others with the same roof design, the picture of one of them which is a Saudi car has been posted on here in the last year as it was for sale at a car dealer in Riyadh. I can't recall right now what 80's tuning company modified this car.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,057 Posts
By the looks of the rainbow design on the seats the car looks like it used to belong to the ''RAINBOW SHEIKH'' Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi in the UAE. He must have given it away as a gift to someone who sold it on and ended up in Germany. The sheikh doesn't sell his cars he either puts them in his car museum or gives them away as gifts. The vehicle is not a one off I have seen two others with the same roof design, the picture of one of them which is a Saudi car has been posted on here in the last year as it was for sale at a car dealer in Riyadh. I can't recall right now what 80's tuning company modified this car.
Sorry Banana,

but i have to correct you on this. The wellknown rainbow-sheik has nothing to do with this car. The rainbow on the seats is something
like a trademark of bb Buchmann in Frankfurt.

Buchmann was a tuning company like AMG, Brabus or other in the 80thies. They did conversions mainly on Mercedes and Porsche.

Here some pics from bb products

This has been a SWB 600

Together with Eberhard Schulz (now ISDERA) they build their most famous car - the CW 311

Back to topic! It seems, that the offer on OFAS is the original catalogue car!

Lets hope, that someone will bring it back to old glory

Roland

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes B+B Auto Exclusiv Service that's the company in question that modified this particular sec. I was always under the impression that the Buchmann cars that wore the rainbow livery (most of their cars didn't) were the ones built for the Rainbow Sheikh. Are you sure that the rainbow livery was B+B's trademark too?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SEC TT KS,1988 300CE,1990 560SEC 2nd GEN.KS.1990 560SEL AMG,1985 W126 [parts]
1,569 Posts
I saw a car like that in a magazine from japan,very cool.
koenig did a hard and soft top SEC like the newer Sl's wich is the best ever.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
Now thats 1 of a kind! Way ahead of it's time for that...after a 1957 Fairlane 500
Was in a car show last weekend here in So. Cal. and was parked next to a 57 Fairlane. Was pretty cool. Yellow and white. Only SEC Conv. that looks right...

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
Back to topic! It seems, that the offer on OFAS is the original catalogue car!
Roland
Now that's one rare car - way ahead of it's time and worthwhile as a collector piece. I think the car is different from the catalog car - the A/C console and the window switch consoles are different. Now, it's possible that those were changed out, but I think it's a car that's just like the catalogue car.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
That's straight 80s. I'm traveling in Germany, actually will be less than five miles from the listing location for a May Day party - ahhhh, I should almost feign interest just to take it for a test drive, although the weather here is no conducive to going topless at the moment...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes B+B Auto Exclusiv Service that's the company in question that modified this particular sec. I was always under the impression that the Buchmann cars that wore the rainbow livery (most of their cars didn't) were the ones built for the Rainbow Sheikh. Are you sure that the rainbow livery was B+B's trademark too?
The story behind BB's rainbow-trademark colors are actually borowed from Polaroid: the first BB car in rainbow livery (the famous 911 Turbo Targa from '77 in silvergrey-rainbow) was used on the stand of the Polaroid co. at some convention, the car being used as eyecatcher and thus partially painted in the colors that matched the Polaroid company.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The story behind BB's rainbow-trademark colors are actually borowed from Polaroid: the first BB car in rainbow livery (the famous 911 Turbo Targa from '77 in silvergrey-rainbow) was used on the stand of the Polaroid co. at some convention, the car being used as eyecatcher and thus partially painted in the colors that matched the Polaroid company.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts