Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to take a crack at this brake problem?
1998 E320 W210 Sedan, 99,000 miles. New calipers 2 yrs ago. New Front rotors last yr, New front pads 6 months ago, rear pads have 30% left. ASR

Took the car in for new tires and the mechanic told me the front anti-rattle springs were missing off the front calipers. I believe I wanted to put new ones on 6 months ago at pad change and forgot. The brake pedal is extremely firm, brakes work well, no noise.

Ordered two springs and installed them. Immediately the pedal goes to the floor on the first application. Took the car to the MB dealer and explained problem and they thought it has air in the line and needs flushed/bled. Dealer bled lines and flushed and pedal continues to go to the floor. Dealer figures car needs new master cylinder. Got car home, pulled both anti rattle springs off and pedal is extremely hard again and brakes work great.

Figuring with springs off the caliper pistons/pads are up against rotor. With springs on the pads and pistons are returning to slightly open position. Going to bleed brakes with pressure bleeder and make sure all air is out of lines. May also pinch off all caliper hoses and see if I have a firm pedal which would rule out master. Open each caliper hose and see if pedal goes to floor which would isolate a bad hose or caliper.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure I would want to pinch on any flexible brake line. Too much chance of damage. A "blind" banjo bolt would be a better way. By blind I mean one without a through hole. Chances are you could just use an M12 bolt in there to replace the banjo bolt connecting the line to the caliper. Of course, you are going to want to pull one to get the correct diameter and thread pitch and you will need a handful of sealing washers as well, 2/bolt, actually 4, 2 to test and then 2 to replace the test ones when reconnecting with the proper banjo bolt. PITA, I know, but so is having a brake hose pop when you mash the brakes in an emergency.:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Anyone care to take a crack at this brake problem?
1998 E320 W210 Sedan, 99,000 miles. New calipers 2 yrs ago. New Front rotors last yr, New front pads 6 months ago, rear pads have 30% left. ASR

Took the car in for new tires and the mechanic told me the front anti-rattle springs were missing off the front calipers. I believe I wanted to put new ones on 6 months ago at pad change and forgot. The brake pedal is extremely firm, brakes work well, no noise.

Ordered two springs and installed them. Immediately the pedal goes to the floor on the first application. Took the car to the MB dealer and explained problem and they thought it has air in the line and needs flushed/bled. Dealer bled lines and flushed and pedal continues to go to the floor. Dealer figures car needs new master cylinder. Got car home, pulled both anti rattle springs off and pedal is extremely hard again and brakes work great.

Figuring with springs off the caliper pistons/pads are up against rotor. With springs on the pads and pistons are returning to slightly open position. Going to bleed brakes with pressure bleeder and make sure all air is out of lines. May also pinch off all caliper hoses and see if I have a firm pedal which would rule out master. Open each caliper hose and see if pedal goes to floor which would isolate a bad hose or caliper.

Any thoughts???
are you sure the anti rattle springs are installed correctly? If they are like my 97 E420, They should not touch the pads at all. All they do is keep the floating caliper from rattling against the caliper mount. When I did my brake job this weekend, I kept trying to get the anti rattle springs against the pad, then I looked at the side I hadn't done yet and realized how they worked. The ends go in the two holes on the floating caliper, the bottom needs to go under the caliper mounting frame (the fixed part) ears. When they are installed correctly they will not touch the outer pad.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
are you sure the anti rattle springs are installed correctly? If they are like my 97 E420, They should not touch the pads at all. All they do is keep the floating caliper from rattling against the caliper mount. When I did my brake job this weekend, I kept trying to get the anti rattle springs against the pad, then I looked at the side I hadn't done yet and realized how they worked. The ends go in the two holes on the floating caliper, the bottom needs to go under the caliper mounting frame (the fixed part) ears. When they are installed correctly they will not touch the outer pad.
Plus 1 to this ... that is exactly what would happen if the springs were installed incorrectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts