Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am creating this post in hopes that I can receive some advice on what my options are in terms of selling my car. First, a quick back story:

I am the second owner of this Mercedes-Benz 1997 C230, since 2005. It has been a great vehicle to me over the years, however it is time that I let her go serve another purpose. What will that purpose be? I am not going to wager it would be sold to another driver. Perhaps as parts? This is why I am here, to ask all of you. Amazingly, the car still drives! There has been work done to it over the years, but no major engine swaps or otherwise major work in that fashion.

However, there is very recently a coolant leak occurring somewhere near the engine it seems. I am not a mechanic, but I am technical minded; I tried to investigate where the leak is occurring by renting a coolant leak detector (with the pump that attaches to the liquid spout). It is very difficult for me to see without having a place to raise my car up, and without knowledge of if it is coming from within the engine, or outside of it. Either way, there is an obvious leak, with pressure added to the system, it is more of a stream than a drip, and it seems to be dripping down from near the engine, at least. I've taken photos and video with my go-pro, I'm happy to share those if anyone would like to see.

Anyway, I already have another car to replace the C230, and so it is just sitting in my garage while my new car is sitting under the hot sun in the driveway. I would like to sell this Benz for what it is worth to whoever would like to buy it. I considered selling it to a dealership via KBB, however I didn't get any call backs from posting it. I thought perhaps this forum would be a good place to consider alternatives, whether that be advice on where else I should post it for sale, or, perhaps somewhere here would like to buy it?

Mileage: ~185,000
Condition: Fair. Scuffs on the exterior, interior headliner is coming off. But other than these major items, it is presentable for its age.

Either way, I'm happy to share any information or fresh photos of the car if anyone has questions. Thank you for any contributions!

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,611 Posts
How much do you want for it? Most people want too much for these cars. At you mileage and defects the car is not worth much. You might get more for parts than selling it whole and I suspect that is why you have not listed your asking price.

Post it on craigslist and other local venues such as possibly at your local mechanic's shop, auto store boards, etc.

BTW, the coolant leak might be an easy fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do you want for it? Most people want too much for these cars. At you mileage and defects the car is not worth much. You might get more for parts than selling it whole and I suspect that is why you have not listed your asking price.
I've checked a couple of websites, including KBB, and spoke to a couple people. I've been told a good range would be between $1000 and $3000. Since it does drive, the AC works fine, and other essentials are in working order, I was going to shoot for the upper end. I don't expect more than 3k I believe. Does that sound about right to you?

Post it on craigslist and other local venues such as possibly at your local mechanic's shop, auto store boards, etc.
Good idea, I will try craigslist and some local mechanics that deal in import vehicles. What is an auto-store board?

BTW, the coolant leak might be an easy fix.
I thought so too, however I just cannot seem to get up under close enough to see exactly where the leak is sourcing. It seems to run down the engine belt from about half-way up, the top of the belt is dry, but it's very tricky for me to get any closer. I could spend more time and buy a roto-camera, but then I'm throwing good time and money at something that I'm not sure will even increase the value of the car at this point. Thoughts?

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,283 Posts
Even posting on FB too.
GL

·
Registered
151 Posts
Broken cars are very hard to sell. At best you’ll get half of KBB trade. And that is if someone really wants the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Broken cars are very hard to sell. At best you’ll get half of KBB trade. And that is if someone really wants the car.
I wouldn't call it "broken", it definitely drives perfectly fine other than this coolant leak. Someone could fix that and use it as a secondary car, or use it for parts. That I do not know until I find the right person.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Gotcha, its different for everyone, but to me a car streaming out coolant is broken. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it to the store. I see countless ads like that on CL.... "Only has one minor issues, easily fixed" When I read those I always chuckle and think, well, if its so minor and easy, why didn't you fix it already?

Anyway, good luck with the sale, if its a nice looking car, someone will want it for sure, that's the beauty of Mercedes, it can be a basket case and someone will still fall in love.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts