Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Brilliant silver 01 ML320
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got back from nigeria but i had a scary incident where armed robbers tried to take my car. In an attempt to escape the ambush i slammed my ride in reverse an ended up in a drainage gutter. At this point a gun was pointed at me and my sony ericsson cell phone was taken from me. I later went back to retreive the car and with my mum and some armed vigilantes but the robbers had left the scene. My keys where taken by the robbers but luckily i had a spare key.

i have posted pics of the damage so any members with body work experience can chime in with advice here. What parts will i need to get it repaired and what will it cost me. I want to change the key so what will a new key set with locks cost me? Does this also mean changing the AAM module. To be honest i want repair and sell the car and get something else i not sure what car but now that i am back in london i will test drive the new X5 and take things from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG DUDE, i'm sooo sorry to hear about what happened. freaking people these days. thanks God that you made it out alive and that nothing worse happened. good luck fixing the car and its time that you get a gun

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,037 Posts
Looking at it from the photos, $5-6k. The quarter panel is about $1,200, the bumper is $600, the tail light is $150. They will cut the quarter panel straight across where the glass is and then seam the new panel in the same way. The rest would be labor and painting.

I wouldn't be so quick about changing the locks because that will cost about $3,000 between electronics, keys and labor. Just safeguard it until you trade it in.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your horrible ordeal kwiklee!

Thank God, you are safe.

I think your actions (though wrecking the truck) probably saved your life - I understand that carjackers out there have no regard for life and would really have killed you.

I see 43sqd has provided you with some information on restoration etc.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,468 Posts
And that happened in London, where policemen carry no guns????
Sorry for your incident. From what I know dealer can "delete" the stolen key from the car memory, so no real need to spend thousand on replacing whole system.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all
Katjek the incident happened to me when i was in in Nigeria last week, here in london the average policeman are not armed. What i now want to do is repair the ride to a good standard however most of the parts i will source in london or in the states. My main concern is the security of the car knowing one of the keys are in the hands of robbers does not sit to well with me. Right now my cars locked away. Where i am situated in Nigeria is hundreds of miles away from Lagos where most of the main dealers are situated making it impractical for me to get it repaired there so i left with the local mech/technicians. Solidjake i dont really like the idea of having a weapon but you know what when i go back to Nigeria probably in October i will look into getting one luckily this last trip my 10yr old son was not with me but what if he was?
The quarterpanel and paint is it only supplied by the main dealer? Are the any online parts site where i can get these items? Any suggestions about the key/security of car are welcome. Thanks 43sqd for your input.

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
kwiklee, i have been going to the dominican republic for over 9 years already. my step father has a licensed 9mm that he carries every time that he goes out. he owns a 2002 bmw x5 4.4i that looks like no other. even though there is security and police there, if you end up in the wrong spot someone will pull a gun on you. he's always ready to take someone out if he feels his life in in danger or ours. luckily he never had to use it.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Holy crap, glad to hear they were unsuccessful and you could get away unharmed!

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
Wow, pretty crazy.

Good to hear you got out okay.

I am not usually one for guns, but I think if you are going to be driving a decent looking vehicle in Nigeria it may be necessary to keep one.

Or better yet get your vehicle strapped with this YouTube - Blaster that will teach the bastards.

·
Registered
2000 ml320
15 Posts
something to think about before you go get a gun....
if you would have had a gun when this happen'd would you have pulled the trigger instantly, or pointed at the robbers and hesitated? If you you think you would have hesitated then you prolly would be dead.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
something to think about before you go get a gun....
if you would have had a gun when this happen'd would you have pulled the trigger instantly, or pointed at the robbers and hesitated? If you you think you would have hesitated then you prolly would be dead.
Thanks all for the input although were going a bit off topic here i not sure if i had a gun that i would shoot to kill but i am sure if the armed robbers new i was armed they would of thought twice before attacking me. Where my parents live in Nigeria is a very small town in the mid west. So i stood out driving my ML plus the fact that i was based in London made me an obvious and lucrative target. I have to take some of the blame by not listening to advice of others and driving around at 10pm especially after there had been a spate of car jackings and attempted car jackings. In the Uk the average policeman and citizen are not armed thank god and thats the kind of enviroment i am use to but when in Rome............ logic has to apply when you are elsewhere in the world.

Now back on topic The quarterpanel and paint is it only supplied by the main dealer? Are the any online parts site where i can get these items? Any suggestions about the key/security of the car are welcome.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
I just went to the dealer recently to inquire about a new key.

What I was told there are two kinds of keys when purchasing.

The replacement and the extra.

The extra key is what you would buy if you have not lost any of your keys. You simply purchase and program as stated in the manual. ($250 at my dealer)

The replacement is more expensive as it requires the dealer to do some reprogramming or adding of some slots?? in the computer of the ml. ($250 plus labour charge prob. 1 hr min at my dealer)

I believe I heard from someone on this forum that the dealer may be able to delete old key slots in the computer to disallow them to be used in the future. Or this all may be a figment of my imagination.

Sorry if this doesn't help, as you may be able to tell I might not know what the heck I am talking about. Yet I felt I should speak up any way.

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
Sorry. Still OT, but I think you faired fairly well without a gun. Regardless of the outcome, a gunfight would have not benefited you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sorry. Still OT, but I think you faired fairly well without a gun. Regardless of the outcome, a gunfight would have not benefited you.
I agree at the cost of damaging my ML its a price i am prepared to pay perhaps i should have let them take the car maybe the cps or fuel pump might have failed as they tried to drive away Lol:) but life goes on

I will ask a dealer about deleting an old key from the memory thanks godfather.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The dealer is only able to delete stolen or lost keys if the vehicle has an "EIS." The key must have the little red dot at the tip and no flip metal key.

And that happened in London, where policemen carry no guns????
Sorry for your incident. From what I know dealer can "delete" the stolen key from the car memory, so no real need to spend thousand on replacing whole system.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I agree at the cost of damaging my ML its a price i am prepared to pay perhaps i should have let them take the car maybe the cps or fuel pump might have failed as they tried to drive away Lol:)
Ha ha ha ha - Good joke kwiklee!

I hope you get it all sorted soon!

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Yo, that is messed up. I'll leave it at that. Glad you are ok !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts