Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Why do you want to do it would be the better question. Sometimes people want to be able to rotate the tires, but you'd have to buy two more front wheels since the wheels are not interchangeable from rear to front.

To do it properly you'd want to buy four new/replacement wheels (aftermarket is fine so long as they are quality wheels) with a properly matched set of tires. But you'd probably get a fair price for your used set (unless they're curbed, dented, etc.) because often people want to go the other way.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
If tyre rotation is your aim, better to keep the 2 sizes and make sure you only fit 'non directional' tyres so that you can swap left to right every 5-10k - it is surprising how much one side will wear compared to the other (opposite side in Oz because we drive upside down!)

SLKs have this issue and tyres such as Conti Extreme Contact DWS fits the bill - assymetric and non directional - quiet and good wear rating.

Oberoi

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor
50 Posts
Any downsides to un-staggering tires?
Okay, here's why I wouldn't do it..

(1) It will change the car's handling at the limits of adhesion. In a 4cyl RWD car I used to race, a 10mm stagger was all I needed to change its handling from oversteer to neutral; in this case you're talking about getting rid of a 20mm stagger. I've never driven my C230 at speed on a race track, so I couldn't tell you exactly... but coming from the factory I'd imagine the car is set up to be neutral or to understeer at the limit. The worst thing that could happen by removing the stagger is that since there is less grip in the back (or more grip in the front) than stock, the car may tend to oversteer in an emergency maneuver. If you know how to deal with that (perhaps from racing), it's probably not a big deal. But if you're not used to driving a car that's set up a little loose, it could spell trouble.

(2) It'll probably look funny.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If tyre rotation is your aim, better to keep the 2 sizes and make sure you only fit 'non directional' tyres so that you can swap left to right every 5-10k
Thats decent advice. Also bear in mind that in my case the C230 has staggered stock rims. Even tho I use use 225 snow tires all round on them, I still cant rotate them because the wheels are different widths and offsets.

·
Registered
2006 C230
6 Posts
I have a 2006 C230 and I am planning to replace the rears with 17 x 7.5. In my area, SW Florida, I have a couple of people selling the wheels that I need. I hope to buy two new front wheels next week.

·
Registered
2006 C230
6 Posts
I did buy the set of 17 X 7.5 wheels. Installed the tires and wheels last week. No problems so far, will let you know if there is a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts