Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ride is leaking from the top of the windscreen frame. In a steady or heavy rain, I get drips coming from visor mounts and/or lights. I have read of others having this experience and it seemed a new windshield was the solution. Yes, ice cold water dripping on my leg, on my way to work, looking like I hurried too quickly in the bathroom.......

Anyway, my windshield was cracked and the seals were breaking down all around it so I had a new (el cheapo) one installed, and the leaking continues. The installer mentioned that a couple of the retainer clips crumbled when he took the trim off, I think one was along the top. He used the black gooey adhesive to seal the new one.

The soft top to windscreen seal seems fine - newer, supple, no breaks, installed tightly. The vertical seals, those tricky-to-install ones, on the sides of the windscreen look fine, although I noticed the glass tech incorrectly re-installed the chrome strip over it on one side at the bottom.

One thing though, in the pictures I have shown how a credit card will easily slip between the top aluminum strip and the windscreen frame on each end. The aluminum strip does press in to close that gap in those areas. I half expected a receipt to print out from the rear of the car after sliding the card inside her.

Anyway the glass shop owner informed me that I have an older car (really? news to me!) and that it must be the soft top leaking, or maybe the car is sagging, although he did not get any more specific. I chose to let him continue living.

My question, would it hurt anything to put some type of sealant/filler in that gap? Or, could this leak be coming from somewhere else? Could these leaks be caused by incorrect windscreen installation? The glass guy insists not, although he is willing to try it again, tomorrow. Any insights greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks
Benzportland

Attachments

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
That gap behind the chrome trim would not be your source of the leak. The chrome trim is there only for aesthetic purposes. There is no water tight seal around that chrome. It actually is used to cover the seal / seam between the windshield and the frame.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will rule that one out. I am wondering now about the line/seam where the interior meets the aluminum trim, in other words, the cabin side of the top piece? I have noticed some gap there.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
You could have water coming in from the gap; also, if you are using your hard top, you could be getting water from the holes for the chrome strips on the top. While I fixed a lot of leakage by having my windshield removed and re-sealed, I still get water leaking from the headliner during heavy rains.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Skylaw - I have been using the soft top exclusively, and have not noticed any leaks from the top itself. In fact the top has been exposed to rain for days on end with no visible penetration to the inside. I was just thinking, perhaps I could put some tape over those gaps to see if it helps as sort of a test when it rains again.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
I see you have what look like new grommets in the top lock holes in the header. I never had any leaks with either top, at the windshield; however, after replacing the grommets with new, I have had a leak similar to what you describe, with the hard top on (soft top has not seen rain in a long time). Not every rain, mind you, but a driving downpour resulted in a little water on each seat, dripping from the HT at the windshield. Also, each time (2 that I can state for sure), the car was sitting in a parking spot with the nose high/uphill...

No leakage during car washing or running a hose to duplicate.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wondered about those as well; I had the same leak before I had those grommets, but that was before the new windshield too. Now the leak seems a bit worse. I know the grommets are intended to reduce rattle noise but in heavy or constant rain I would think the fit of those grommets would be crucial.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Guys I think I'm having the same problem as benzportland. I too have a large gap as shown in those photos as well as water raining down onto the centre console and window switches (PERFECT!). I have found that taping over the gap stops the leak, but hockey tape doesn't look so great. So does anyone have any idea how water is managing to get through this gap?

I guess it's not the windscreen seal as that would cause water to run down the screen which is definitely not happening. The soft top seal is fine. My locking pin grommets are missing but those sit behind the seal so I don't see how they can have any affect.

It seems as though there must be some seal or caulking in there that has perished. benzportland did you find the cause/solution?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts