Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone help me find the secret codes to enter engineering modes in the new Comand system with hard disk ans SD memory card slot for the W211.

The layout has changed and now looks a lot like the SL vertion and the old "mute+phone+serv" combination doesn't work anymore.

I've attached a photo of the unit for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The NTG2.5 device itself is "secret" for most of us so far. If you do a bit of searching you find that there is no other info even for the old unit that has the latest SW except that "there is no code".

Even if you don't mention what you are after, I'm afraid the solution anyway is an external device at the CAN-bus input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for your input, guys.

Well it doesn’t look to promising, I tried the YouTube method again and again with no result.

DB what exactly are you referring to when you mention an external device at the CAN-bus? Is it one of those fittings you hardwire to the Comand unit (and if so, where could I buy it and how is it installed) or is it a programming device that programs the Comand via the OBD conector (if this is the case who would posses such a device. FYI, I live in Spain)?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts

Well it doesn’t look to promising, I tried the YouTube method again and again with no result.

DB what exactly are you referring to when you mention an external device at the CAN-bus? Is it one of those fittings you hardwire to the Comand unit (and if so, where could I buy it and how is it installed) or is it a programming device that programs the Comand via the OBD conector (if this is the case who would posses such a device. FYI, I live in Spain)?
I believe Rob would be the correct source, not sure about Spain but I think someone from Portugal (you must know where it is :) ) got one, so why not Spain. Wasn't the video from their company too. I understand the device for the new NTG2.5 Navi is still on its way, not yet listed on their web page but you can ask Rob for more info:

Mid City Engineering

·
Registered
686 Posts

The CAN interface is a box that sits behind the command unit. you remove the radio and the interface plugs in between the factory harness and the command. its all plug-and-play so there are no wires to cut or anything like that. The way the device works is by regulating input signals; e.g. its not a programmer like the ones you might have ssen that worked on the earlier euro models. MB has removed the ability to program in motion video completely so now the interface works by making the command think that the vehicle is not moving even when it is.

If you want any more info on it you can go to the midcityengineering.com site and contact us via email and we'll get you all set up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a different car and a different looking radio, but I found a button push sequence that got me into the Engineer viewing mode (where settings and data can be seen, but not modified) that was not mentioned elsewhere. You might try this, just for grins,
With the radio on press and hold the Mute button,
then press and hold the "1" and "3" buttons down together.
After about 5 seconds of holding these three buttons I got into that Engineer viewing mode.

Let me know if that works, at least for viewing.

If so, then maybe someone here will come up with a sequence where the settings can be modified (the true Engineering mode). I have tried many different button sequences so far, yet have not tripped across any other hidden sequences. I haven't given up yet, but I am not searching as hard as I was before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
"keyhole comment"?

You mean what was my signature line? "Use a keyhole, go to jail!"
You don't realize that is a signature line?
I change my signature line every few weeks, perhaps you'll eventually see something that needs less explaination.

But sure, here is an explanation: If you are a 'peeping Tom' (a person who looks through windows or keyholes) (some people may refer to that as a 'peeking Tom') you might be caught and spend some time being incarcerated.

But because you are confused as to what that meant, I'll right now change my signature line to something a bit more automobile related.

Perhaps you can help me understand what your "Every option on board" is. Every Option?, come on ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Totally Confused

Guys, I wonder if anyone can help a bit further on the 2008 command unlock and also a DIY way to be able to attach rear monitors to my unit. I can't find the AUX in connector either but have the AUX button.

History so far:

I have an E class CDI 280 sport registered in sep 08 (58 plate) it has what looks like the w211 command similar to the new one but without the SD slot.

I have tried the following according to advice:
Ignition off. (done it also with inginition on)
Turn on command.
Select AUDIO button
press and hold the ; MUTE/PHONEdown/SERV buttons together for 45 seconds (and a lot longer)

RESULT::crybaby2:
Get the standard SERV screen but absolutely nothing happens.
No welcome to Engineering Mode etc ??? so cant enter the next code information as the advice.:eek:

I am guessing my unit is different to the W211 but not the latest with the SD card and why the code access above doesn't work. I am doing something wrong?:(

I am in need to get this changed so my young kids in the rear can watch a DVD and my eldest son watch in the front seat. I think I need a DIY kit to connect to the command to enable a output to the rear TFT screens, but trying to get the command unlock done first.

Do the hardwire solutions work? Has anybody tried the hardwire systems you can install into the rear of the unit on year 58 E class models? or has anyone managed to get into engineering mode in cars registered after September 2008.:confused:

Any help would be tremendous, Thanks.:bowdown:

Totally Confused
Steve

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Guys, I wonder if anyone can help a bit further on the 2008 command unlock and also a DIY way to be able to attach rear monitors to my unit. I can't find the AUX in connector either but have the AUX button.

History so far:

I have an E class CDI 280 sport registered in sep 08 (58 plate) it has what looks like the w211 command similar to the new one but without the SD slot.

I have tried the following according to advice:
Ignition off. (done it also with inginition on)
Turn on command.
Select AUDIO button
press and hold the ; MUTE/PHONEdown/SERV buttons together for 45 seconds (and a lot longer)

RESULT::crybaby2:
Get the standard SERV screen but absolutely nothing happens.
No welcome to Engineering Mode etc ??? so cant enter the next code information as the advice.:eek:

I am guessing my unit is different to the W211 but not the latest with the SD card and why the code access above doesn't work. I am doing something wrong?:(

I am in need to get this changed so my young kids in the rear can watch a DVD and my eldest son watch in the front seat. I think I need a DIY kit to connect to the command to enable a output to the rear TFT screens, but trying to get the command unlock done first.

Do the hardwire solutions work? Has anybody tried the hardwire systems you can install into the rear of the unit on year 58 E class models? or has anyone managed to get into engineering mode in cars registered after September 2008.:confused:

Any help would be tremendous, Thanks.:bowdown:

Totally Confused
Steve
I would like to know your VIN to be sure what is your build date. You should have the new NTG2.5 unit, not the US one if you are from the UK but just about the same. In any case, there is no known engineering menu for the new device (it still is a W211 device) or the older with the latest SW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for such a speedy reply, is it safe to post my VIN number? I have it but not sure I should post it?
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Trying to sus out what unit I have.
I have taken a picture of the unit, is this the NTG 2.5 (UK Model)?

If this is not the NTG 2.5 can anybody tell me what model it is please.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi,

Trying to sus out what unit I have.
I have taken a picture of the unit, is this the NTG 2.5 (UK Model)?

If this is not the NTG 2.5 can anybody tell me what model it is please.

Thanks again.
Your unit is an NTG1 unit.

NTG1 units come in two kinds with TV Input and without.
The ones with have all the inputs (as in photo), the ones without do not have the REAR SCREEN and TV inputs.

So you can check yours

Merry Xmas
George

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
:D
Thanks again,

This is great news. I am hoping it has all conections since the face panel has the aux and tv buttons bt now need to get it out to check. I did find some good step by step images and notes on how to do this with care but for the life of me I can't find the sites again.

Do you know if the is a previous forum link giving step by step removal instructions.

I am guessing since the DVD does work when parked then if it has rear screen 25 way conector this should play on rear screens (hopefully while driving) else it looks like I need to get a CAN bus TV free conector i have seen from various places on the web.

Does anybody know of some good instructions how to remove he car is only a couple months old so I don't want to rip it all apart without some good guide.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
265 Posts
:D
Thanks again,

This is great news. I am hoping it has all conections since the face panel has the aux and tv buttons (THIS IN NOT NECESSARY!!)bt now need to get it out to check. I did find some good step by step images and notes on how to do this with care but for the life of me I can't find the sites again.

Do you know if the is a previous forum link giving step by step removal instructions.

I am guessing since the DVD does work when parked then if it has rear screen 25 way conector this should play on rear screens (hopefully while driving) else it looks like I need to get a CAN bus TV free conector i have seen from various places on the web.

Does anybody know of some good instructions how to remove he car is only a couple months old so I don't want to rip it all apart without some good guide.

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve

If you give me your email and the car's VIN , I can send you full step by step instructions for comand removal and puting back again. (My email : [email protected])

Regards
George

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
marcellen
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing