Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1991 SL500 with the Panoramic hard top. (Glass Roof)
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://picasaweb.google.com/rollmagain/1991SL500#

I just purchased a 1991 SL500. Looked through the owners manual and can't find what this gadget is. It seems stock so enlighten me please!

This switch is beside the stereo console on the drivers side cockpit at knee level. It is a three way switch rotational and on the bottom ring of that switch is a rheostat control. doesn't seem to do anything!
Any ideas.

BTW this is my first roadster and I am glad its an MB classic. compared to some of my friends that have Vettes BMWs etc this is the sweetest of them all.

I did add a post to the picture at top

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Yes, you have the sweetest car. LOL And of course I am not biased. :D

Welcome to the forum, there is a huge amount of information here in the threads and people heads. haha

If you fill out your info like location, etc it sometimes helps in figuring out things for you like shipping and car version, etc.

Can you post a pic of this switch? I am sure another owner of your year knows but maybe someone else can help if they see it.

Congrats on your purchase, you are going to love it.

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Hey,
Welcome to the forum!
I too have a 91 r129... and yes, i agree with both of you, it is the sweetest! my best friend has multiple vettes, but now he wants an r129. ;-)

anyways... please post a picture to help us out... the only 3 way switch i can think of is for the mirrors...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No its not the mirror. the mirror adjustment is on the console bottom left of the shifter.
This switch is along the right side about knee height.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
That's the passenger eject seat secret button. You can adjust how high you wish to propel the occupant next to you.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
Boy....... Got me...... It does look kinda old...... Maybe reach inside behind it (( further behind, inside the foot well, maybe an opening where you can stick your hand)) and see where the wires go?

(Watch for spiders)

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
that definately is not stock. Never seen such a thing... What puzzles me is the type of switch... if it was a single switch button, i would suggest it is the first gear start switch? Because I know many people who put a first gear start switch in it and put it there... Just a possibility? Or maybe for winter mode and summer mode and stuff? trying to make it like the newer r129s?

Or maybe it is the passenger seat ejection button... Ive seen that launch up to 50 feet! Make sure the top is off or down though!

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
It looks like the radar detector I have in my 560SL. Left on the outer knob is city, right is highway. The rheostat (inner Knob) is the volume for the piezo-speakers/buzzers. I ahave 3 tiny lights as well. Some have them mounted in the dash cluster. There is probably (or was) a module mounted at front and back of the car, behind the grill, etc.

http://www.k40.com/installation-gallery-pages-29.php

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
I was looking for that switch under there, for a long time.
I had no idea what it was for, then one day I got the switch out, it was marked K40....
If you go to their site, you may find a manual.
Like Ears said that is how it works.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unknown Switch

Bingo! That is bang on. When I trailed the wires they did go to the front and appear to be disconnected from an apparatus that was at some point mounted on a bracket. Makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks for clearing this up.

I have used the "ejector seat" B.S to keep my occupant (wife) at bay from time to time. LOL I might just leave it there! :)

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
It's the ....... Nipple......... ;)

·
Registered
1998 sl500
43 Posts
Ears and the K40

Would it be uncool to ask the price of that unit and how it compares with a Valentine system. I'm considering a anniversary gift for my wife's SL500

1 - 20 of 23 Posts