Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 C250 sports coupe
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are million posts about tow hitches but...I was looking around online and I found this at kragens, now here is the question... I need to get a hitch for my truck just carry my mountain bikes I don't tow anything and I am not planing to tow anything anytime soon either so can this be installed behind MLs bumper? I can may be even modify it, like cut the top of it and just bolt it on to the bumper flush? what do you guys think?:dunno:

Reese Hitches Class 2 Hitch: Step Bumper Receiver Hitch; Accepts 2" Hitch Bars; Easily Bolts To Most Factory Step Bumpers; Tongue Weight 300 lbs.; Gross Trailer Weight 3500 lbs.
Part Number: 81378
Click to view enlarged image
(click image for full-size view)

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 ML 500, 2008 ML 550, 2011 ML 63 AMG
363 Posts
It won't work.

That type of hitch is designed to be bolted to the underside of the bumper of a pickup or van. Just as you put in your post, "Easily Bolts To Most Factory Step Bumpers". You don't have a "Factory Step Bumper". The ML has a rear frame cross-member that is all pre-drilled and set to take a hitch.

For the few bucks difference to put the proper hitch (from Reese, Draw-Tite, or whoever) on compared to screwing around with that one to make it fit is not worth it IMHO.

I put a Reese on my truck and it took about 5 minutes to do the whole job.

·
Registered
2014 C250 sports coupe
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It won't work.

That type of hitch is designed to be bolted to the underside of the bumper of a pickup or van. Just as you put in your post, "Easily Bolts To Most Factory Step Bumpers". You don't have a "Factory Step Bumper". The ML has a rear frame cross-member that is all pre-drilled and set to take a hitch.

For the few bucks difference to put the proper hitch (from Reese, Draw-Tite, or whoever) on compared to screwing around with that one to make it fit is not worth it IMHO.

I put a Reese on my truck and it took about 5 minutes to do the whole job.
Agreed with you and I just bough this on ebay difference was only 50 bucks.

eBay Motors: Trailer Hitch Mercedes ML320, ML350, ML430 & ML500 (item 130299300095 end time May-10-09 06:34:06 PDT)

·
Registered
2014 C250 sports coupe
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How hard was the install? I noticed you can just put the hitch on and tow about 3500 lbs, and if you attach the bumper reinforcements, you could tow 5000 lbs.
it didn't arrive yet I should be getting it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow but from what I read I should be done with it in 15 mins if I don't install the reinforcements, like I said only thing I'll be doing with it is putting my bike rack on it but then again if I am going to get dirty might as well do it right.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you think you will have to remove the bumper? I took a look this morning and it looked like I could just shove a rachet up for the top two bolts and tighten it that way. I don't plan on putting the bumper reinforcements on, unless I can get to them under the car.

·
Registered
2014 C250 sports coupe
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think you will have to remove the bumper? I took a look this morning and it looked like I could just shove a rachet up for the top two bolts and tighten it that way. I don't plan on putting the bumper reinforcements on, unless I can get to them under the car.
Yep you have to take the bumper off which is very easy, it has four screws two under the left and right cover and two on the each side of the spare tire. I wouldn't even try to shove ratchet up there to tighten that thing up.

·
Registered
2007 ML 500, 2008 ML 550, 2011 ML 63 AMG
363 Posts
What Reese model did you use? Can you post a picture or link to their site if they have one?

TIA
Sorry, I missed the question.

The Reese website doesn't show a picture of the hitch, but it's "Part Number:33027".

It is an exact replica of the M-B hitch, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who made the factory hitch.

·
Registered
2004 ML350 Inspiration pkge, 2010 Ford Mustang GT
37 Posts
Universal tow hitch

I was looking to purchase that same one. Let us know how you like it and a pic if possible. Thanks,
Hi guys,
here are some pics of my draw-tite trailer hitch.
Pretty easy installation though. Bumper has to be cut out a bit and the center cover too, otherwise the draw-tite will not fit/ bumper will not come back on...
let me know if you need anymore pics.

Greets
Mat

Attachments

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Sorry, I missed the question.

The Reese website doesn't show a picture of the hitch, but it's "Part Number:33027".

It is an exact replica of the M-B hitch, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who made the factory hitch.
Thanks, I found it. I also have located Hidden Hitch and Draw tite for W163.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts