Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my car, a 1991 560 SEC (Euro), both door locks were broken as a result of someone trying to break in with a screwdriver...

I looked into repairing them... but baulked somewhat at the cost, and decided I had more important issues to address first...

Anyway, since I've had her, I've been using the trunk lock to lock/unlock the doors...

The problem I have is this...

I've been working away from home for a couple of weeks... and when I came to use the car this weekend... I found the battery to be completely drained... meaning that the central-locking system is not working...

And as such, I cannot get into the car to pop the bonnet and change/charge the battery...

I took a look at the vacuum pump in the trunk and thought about disconnecting the compressed air hose and blowing air into it to force up the door locks... but decided that this was too tricky for my limited mechanical skills...

So I remembered reading about a manual way to open the sunroof from the trunk...

My question is this... will I be able to open the sunroof fully by turning the nut on the sunroof motor... or is it only used for minor adjustment...

I don't want to force anything...

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

I don't really want to have to break a window to get in...

Thanks in advance,

Beckett

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks deathrattle...

Just to confirm...

Is the nut behind the white plastic 'knob' on the motor...?

Sorry I haven't got a photo, it would make life much easier...

Beckett

·
Registered
'08 E63 AMG Wagon. C280 (320) track/drift slag. Wife has CLK500 Convertible
1,029 Posts
I thought the door handles on the SEC were ugly anyway, so did away with them after my car was vandalised in a similar way to yours, and fitted big solenoids in the doors instead. I now have a remote keyring entry - pop kits are availble for about 150 pounds here, cheaper in the states. I have run wires into the trunk, so that if the battery goes flat, i can still get the doors open, and a mechanical locking release cable by the wipers.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Christ...

Looks like they made a eral mess with your locks...

Luckily on mine, it's only the barrels that are screwed...

Even so... it was highly frustrating being locked out of my own car...

As I'm now back working abroad... I'm going to have to wait another couple of weeks until I can try the sunroof hex in the trunk...

Then I can climb in via the sunroof... pop the hood... replace the battery... and hopefully start her up...

This is what happens when you ask your girlfriend to look after your car...

All I asked her to do was, "Start her up every other weekend, and let her run for 5-10 minutes..."

Unfortunately, she seemed to think the only reason I asked her to do this, was to annoy her...!!!

She loves being driven in the car... but that's as far as her committment to it goes...

Oh well...

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
deathrattle - 2/28/2005 1:23 PM

That procedure would probably take more from the battery than it replaced.
He’s right – you’ve just run down the battery; a battery charger is the way to go. Just plug it in the night before you use the car.

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,579 Posts
Maybe there's an easier way - why not put a small charge on the battery from the trunk? You said you can get in there, which means you could uncover the vacuum assembly next to the spare tire. The Red/White wire on plug number 2 goes up to fuse #15, 8-amp, which is labeled "hot all the time". Put a small charger on the car, maybe a 2-amp setting, and leave it alone overnight and you should have enough juice to unlock the car.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
I have a simpler solution to your dilemma. Take a coat hangar and bend the tip to an angle a little more than 90*. Insert the hangar through your grill and pull back on the unlocking mechanism in similar fashion as you would if you had popped the hood from the inside and the tab was exposed through the grill. VOILA! Hood is released and you can now either jump or replace the battery as needed. There is more than one way to "skin a Benz."

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts