Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unsorted - So wood loads, greedy boards, trailers, narrow trailers (geared to haul a stack of stove wood, one length wide), and so on, are all mixed together. More entertaining, maybe, but definitely much easier and quicker to post on my end.

The stove wood in Germany is longer than what we in North America generally cut and stack. It looks to be a meter long, more or less. I know that large, horizontal, ceramic tiled wood stoves are popular and will take the longer lengths. This longer stove wood drives the need for splitters with a longer capacity, as would be expected.

Modern wood stoves for sale in Germany tend toward the vertical, steel or ceramic design, and the fireboxes are much smaller....so these long splits would have to be cut again for use in those.

UNIMOGs, forestry, and firewood just go together. I suspect that justifying the purchase of a family UNIMOG for "gathering our own stove wood" is a conversation that has happened at the dinner table more than once. Nothing like getting away to the woods with some mates and/or family members, chainsaws, a splitter and a UNIMOG for a little peace and not-so-quiet.
Some photos.
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle
Sky Logging Wood Tree Tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Plant Tree Vehicle Wood Logging
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Truck
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1250v
619 Posts
Unsorted - So wood loads, greedy boards, trailers, narrow trailers (geared to haul a stack of stove wood, one length wide), and so on, are all mixed together. More entertaining, maybe, but definitely much easier and quicker to post on my end.

The stove wood in Germany is longer than what we in North America generally cut and stack. It looks to be a meter long, more or less. I know that large, horizontal, ceramic tiled wood stoves are popular and will take the longer lengths. This longer stove wood drives the need for splitters with a longer capacity, as would be expected.

Modern wood stoves for sale in Germany tend toward the vertical, steel or ceramic design, and the fireboxes are much smaller....so these long splits would have to be cut again for use in those.

UNIMOGs, forestry, and firewood just go together. I suspect that justifying the purchase of a family UNIMOG for "gathering our own stove wood" is a conversation that has happened at the dinner table more than once. Nothing like getting away to the woods with some mates and/or family members, chainsaws, a splitter and a UNIMOG for a little peace and not-so-quiet.
Some photos.
View attachment 2724177 View attachment 2724178 View attachment 2724179 View attachment 2724180 View attachment 2724181 View attachment 2724182 View attachment 2724183 View attachment 2724184 View attachment 2724185 View attachment 2724186
Firewood was part of the discussion about buying a unimog for me. I don't think it was a convincing argument at all but I did use it! Haha

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,692 Posts
Ah, now the meter long logs makes sense - in our neck of the woods, the only thing that uses logs that size is the old paddlesteamer in Goolwa...
Water Sky Watercraft Boat Vehicle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those are some great pictures - thanks for posting them all.

Here's my 14-year old son splitting osage orange (just "hedge" to us here in Kansas) on a cold day this past winter with a splitter mounted on our 406. I really debated if I wanted to mount the splitter on the front or on the back. Having it on the back would have made it more convenient to toss split pieces right into the bed but would have made it harder to use the Mog for other jobs when the splitter was mounted which is most of the time during the winter. Plus, I prefer dumping to the rear rather than to the side so I elected to put the splitter up front.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I visited the Buch und Bild couple in Gaggenau
at their home overlooking the Mercedes Benz plant,
they had a beautiful stove, covered in Green tiles,
That would take splits that size. It was really a piece of art,and was in the middle of the room, more or less.
It was the centerpiece of the room.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts