Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between u500 and u5000? Are there any difference in off road capability ? What is the price of u500 and u500?Do you think the u500 or u5000 is worth buying? Or just get a stock jeep/toyota?
Thanks so much for your help and opinion! your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
I don't know what country you are in, but if you are in the U.S. a U300/U400/U500 is the only option you have if you want a near new truck... the U5000 and smaller versions of it are not importable at this time. A U500 or one of it's smaller counterparts will cost you $75K USD or more in the States. Some Unimog people are not as fond of the U500 since it does not incorporate the torque tube driveshaft design that made the Unimog famous, and I think that the offroad capibility may suffer slightly, but not much as they are still a hugely capible vehicle.

If you are not set on a near new truck, a U1300 or similar could be a good option for you, since it is the predicessor of the U5000 series of truck and has almost the same body except for the hood and grille (and these can be changed out without too much trouble if you want the newer look). A good condition U1300L will run you somewhere between $20K and $40K depending on the options and condition, ect.

As far as whether any mog is worth the money... you will have to weigh that yourself. If you thrash vehicles, a mog will hold up MUCH, MUCH longer than a jeep or toyota (especially stock). Besides that, if you decide you want to pull something, haul something, use implements, ect, the only problem you will ever have is the speed might suffer depending on the load (and the model of mog)... but it WILL get the job done, just might take a while.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
798 Posts
Are you serious? You can't decide between a vehicle with a 1/4-1/2 ton payload and one with a 5-7 ton payload? A U500/5000 can carry two Jeeps or Toyotas. You get a big Mog when you want to carry something big and heavy for a long distance over rough terrain, like for instance a big camper with lots of fuel, water, supplies, parts and tools. You use a Jeep when you want to go offroading for a day or 2 or 3 with a lightweight tent, a small camping stove and couple of sleeping bags and minimal supplies.
Decide what you are going to need a vehicle for and then pick the vehicle to match the application.
About the price - there's an old saying: "if you have to ask...."

Charlie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you so much for you help! I am planning to buy a mog in Australia. Do you know of any DIY caravan I can make to sit on the U5000 or trail it at the back? Purchasing a caravan might be too expensive.I try to keep the cost low, I have a friend that might help out in making a caravan. I have a family of about 6-7 people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the differences between the u500 and the u5000? The u5000 seems to have a less powerful engine compared to the u500 engine in the top range.Does the U5000 carry more load and have better durability compared to u500?Thanks so much for clarifying my doubts!Should I get the 1.2m fording capability or I do the waterproof and sealing of the truck at a shop, would it be cheaper this way? Pardon me if I am asking noob questions but please help me out!
Thanks so much again!Thanks alot!!

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
So you're an Aussie hey, what area are you from?
There are a few of us here in Sydney, a member in the ACT, one in Townsville and another bloke over in Adelaide somewhere.

There are a couple of Mog campers forsale locally
Mercedes UNIMOG U1700 Truck motorhome, camper, MAN 4x4 - eBay, Trucks, Commercials, Trucks, Commercial Vehicles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 15-Jun-08 11:26:06 AEST)
and
Mercedes Benz 4x4 Unimog U1300L Motor Home - eBay, Vehicles, Caravans, Motorhomes, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 14-Jun-08 16:25:09 AEST)

And also, there are some 1960's vintage model 404's for sale (like mine) if you know the right people ;)

·
Registered
Unimog 404 TLF-8, Toyota LJ70
67 Posts
u500 is 6 cylinder, u5000 only four...

u5000 is better in off-road performance, but even u500 is far better that any jeep or toyota.

u500 is better on-road, it has permanent all wheel drive, it's more powerful and faster

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,416 Posts
Well, I WOULD say "the difference between a U500 and U5000 is that the U5000 actually WORKS off-road"

But that would make some people mad ;)

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
919 Posts
Not to mention the 300, 400 and 500 series is more oriented as the implement platform rather than the overlander the 5000 series are. I don't think I'd call the 500 the SUV on the mogs, if we're talking about size comparison, they are freaking huge.

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
798 Posts
Thanks you so much for you help! I am planning to buy a mog in Australia. Do you know of any DIY caravan I can make to sit on the U5000 or trail it at the back? Purchasing a caravan might be too expensive.I try to keep the cost low, I have a friend that might help out in making a caravan. I have a family of about 6-7 people.
I think if your funds are that limited you may be looking at the wrong vehicle. A new Mog, whether it be a U500 or 5000, probably runs A$150-200K. And it's senseless to order one without a good set of options that can drive the price up by 25%. Things like CTIS, EAS, working gears, increased GVW, proper tires, hydraulics. If you're thinking about saving money by not ordering the fording package and doing it yourself instead, it's a false economy.
Also, if you have 6-7 people you may think you need the double cab U500. But that has a very small load space (about 3.1m for the 3.85m wheelbase. Look at the links to see what a purpose built Unimog camper has, and what a used one will cost in Australia.

Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a U500 and was not that impressed by the off-road performance. I am hoping that if I purchase the 416 or the 1300, the performance will be much better. Honesty, I have a Jeep with 37" tires that would go more places than the U500 - I think it was just too heavy to be a serious off-road contender. DO n't get me wrong - I'm not saying it wasn't a great off-roader, just not what I had hoped it to be.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
Why does the U500 have a 6cylinder engine and the higher spec u5000 have 4 cylinder?
The U300, U400, U500 (UGN) are as said built as an implement platform & were also made with the ease of fitting a body to the chassis in a more traditional “truck” method due the chassis rails having a flat top full length which is also considerably cheaper to do.

the UGN are also designed to take on “pulling tasks” since the demise in 2003 of the “MBU/SBU U1000 to U2450L38 6x6” as e.g. locomotives “on railroads” or as tractors both in the “road truck” sense & in the agricultural tractor sense so consequently are fitted with the bigger more powerful 6cyl engines due to the increased “gross train weight” vs. U3000 to U5000 (UHN)

You will note agricultural tractor spend most of there life in fields which by there very nature & use are relatively flat/graded so articulation of axels/chassis/body is not needed.

The U3000 to U5000 (UHN) as has been said are the high mobility off road variant continuing on from ware the MBU/SBU left off, however as the “pulling tasks” have been taken on by the UGN there is no need for SWB UHN akin to the U1000 to U1600 (MBU) & U1300 to U2400 (SBU) so only medium & LWB UHN are available & all the “agricultural tractor” & “road tractor” options have been dropped & it has been tailored now more as truck with very high off-road ability, I guess the smaller 4cyl engine is used to reduce the front axel weight for more favrable balance given the more “uniform” loading of trucks vs. that of a MBU/SBU which often had heavy mounted rear implements hung off the back or would take towing hitch loads of up to 3000kg or could lift 4000kg to 6000kg on the rear lift arms.

However I can perhaps see a time not to far away were a SWB UHN perhaps makes a reapriance with perhaps with fulltime 4wd & the 6cyl engine out of the UGN along with all the packages that the MBU/SBU was famed for, as in my opinion there is nothing in the currant range of UGN/UHN that will touch an older MBU/SBU in respect to some jobs.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
Coming back to the original poster question.

Given you are in or near Oz & that parts of it you can be Hundred/s of miles from anyone you not only need something reliable but it wants to be simple so it can be fixed in the field by an average Bruce so wants an air of familiarity about it & commonality of engine parts with older MB trucks in Oz utilising the OM366, going this route you are more likely to have post 1985 trucks in scrap yards/insurance salvage yards to act as a parts pool so when phoning a scrap yard from the middle of no-ware you stand a higher chance of a positive result or that new OM366 parts will me much cheaper & probably in stock via the MB agents or that OEM parts are available than with the engines fitted in the UHN or UGN, also unimog specific parts from MBU/SBU will also be easer & cheaper to get than UGN/UHN parts from MB agents or OEM’s.

For this resion I would say something like a mid/late 90’s U1550L/37 (9500kg GVW option) U1750L/38 or U2150L/38 with a double cab to facilitate seating of 5 to 7 people, however the double cab triads off space you can have for a body, however either way I think you will struggle to sleep 6 without loss of privacy especially as kids grow up besides the more cooking need to be done & the space food & even cloths will take up as kids grow over the years.

What you may need to consider is using a military derived single axel off-road trailer as would be used behind “unimog” sized vehicles (same wheel track) to carry extra water & other transferable items during the day & to serve as extra sleeping capacity for the older kids at night if the trailer has a box on it, this would save the roof height of the box on the unimog from going to high & the trailer can be omitted when not needed.

·
Registered
ex-moglet u1700 (ex U1300L)
472 Posts
Rather than start another thread of the same question..........

I got to sit in a UK electricity board 2005 U500 a while ago, and chatted to its operator while he dieseled up at the local garage :)

He didn't know what model the previous square cab mog he was provided with was, but since 10 years is a common age for them to pop up second hand I doubt it would have been a U5000, more likely a U2150 perhaps.

He said the previous one continually broke down, while this one was 100% reliable despite (?!) all the electrics :) He had nothing but good words to say about it.

This was the first time I'd sat in this mog type and was amazed at the drivers view! I couldn't see the bonnet, and to the side and forwards was much better than my square cab.

Implement carrier maybe, and to mow/plow/sweep etc you certainly need good all round vis, but why doesn't this apply to all offroad vehicles?

i.e. why don't all big mogs have the same cab? Whats the advantage of the square cabs? Top of cab height is lower for square cabs, but is that all?

Watching video of UGNs and UHNs drive round the mog off road course show little to choose between them for articulation, so what is the advantage in real terms of a UHN? Merc are missing a trick with their own course, because showing the UHNs tackle it with ease to prove its the ultimate off roader is jolly nice, but then you see a round cab doing the same in one particular clip I can't locate but is here somewhere. One has straight frame rails, one has curvy (flexier?) rails maybe, but if they go over the same ground with what appears equal ease just makes me wonder whats all the fuss about torque tubes then? :)

Confused :surrender:

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,196 Posts
You can see in a few videos, while the UGN can certainly tackle the Mercedes offroad course with ease, it's not as flexable as the UHN, in a few spots, you see the U400 doesn't have all 4 tires on the ground, where the U4000 does.

Even Mercedes says the square cab will go further offroad than the UGN, but won't haul as much weight. The UGN is a brute for sure, but get off the course and into the deep back woods and the difference would be apparent I'm sure. The trucks are different ideologies, one is a no compromise offroad platform, the other is an implement carrier capable of running multiple implements at the same time and reducing driver fatigue. Both will destroy any domestic iron and most exotic iron offroad.

The Gwagon will do most of the course as well from the video's I've seen, and isn't known for its frame flex. And the Zetro's eats the course for lunch.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts