Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Interesting conversation....great pics. Im pretty sure he said 18spline....then at the wnd everyone is quoting 16....lol. Thanks for the interesting read.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
Wow, this whole thread took a weird turn; offering to go mano e mano with DTD, starting some drama with Truktor; rather a mess all in all.

So, at the end of the day, are we any further ahead despite all the brain damage?

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Well, I think so.

It was an odd exchange, and I don't know that it is worth trying to figure it all out.

Some notes -

Ezy-Trailer's UNIMOG.

I think that is a fine looking piece that shows attention to detail an a tidy approach. Whether he started with and Ex-ADF UNIMOG (U1700), or a civilian model (U1750L, as the badge indicates) doesn't really matter, as he produced a nice stretch cab DOKA, with a unique bed.
The fact that he made the effort to match the panel lines of the cab on the bedsides indicates that he is willing to go the extra mile to achieve what he is after. ( How he smuggled it to Western Australia from France is another story....Ha ! .........Kidding)

The same can be said for the Aluminum wheels. Having 22.5" Aluminum rims opens up a world of tires beyond what is available for the 20" rim, and whether he started from scratch, or had a wheel manufacturer make custom centers for an existing 22.5" wheel, it still illustrates a certain devotion to getting what you are after.

Nice work on both accounts.

The NEW Claas Overdrive.

After looking at the photos he posted and comparing them to the other Claas photos I have, it appears that the aft, gearbox section of the OD's are the same. By same, I mean the castings match up. I would think that the internals also are the same, but that is a guess.

The spines on the central shaft, have a different count, 20 ('OLD') vs 18 ('NEW'), as has been noted.

The other different part of the 'NEW' OD is the bell housing section, which mates up to whatever engine it is designed for. This bell housing shows a pair of circular ears, which I think can be fairly taken to be mounts which take a rubber donut, similar (or identical ?) to the mounts seen on the Om352 and Om366 engines. These mounts on the 'NEW' OD are presumably meant to take a good portion of the load off of the rear of the engine, for whatever application it is designed for.

The two holes in the side of the bell housing with the machined flats could also be for affixing a mounting bracket, possibly for a different application. There is a third hole in the bell housing as well, which could be for a mount, but it is hard to tell from the photos. The oversize holes might be designed for elastic bushings in the mounts, similar to the donuts.

The 3rd hole could be an inspection port / drain, as it is on the bottom arc, and there are what look like four threaded holes which would indicate an external plate mounts there. I think that this is more likely than a mount.

The 'OLD' Claas OD has a much shallower bell housing, which has no drain or inspection port in evidence, and has no additional provisions for external mounts.The overall length from front to rear of the two units might be close to equal, but the bell housing of the section of the 'NEW' one is noticeably deeper.

So, Claas has issued this 'NEW' version of their OD, for a different application than our SBU UNIMOGs. It 'might' have the same guts (apart from the shaft), but that can't be known from photos.

If it is indeed for the UHN series UNIMOGs, then I wonder if it might be the factory response to the work that Perkins did to adapt the 'OLD' Claas unit to work with the UHN series?

It could be that the redesigned bell housing allows the OD to bolt directly to the diesels available in the UHN, leapfrogging the adaptation that Perkins made. If MB and Claas recognized the validity of the gearing problem that was identified by Larry Perkins on the UHN UNIMOG, I think that it is at least in the realm of possibility that they took steps to produce a factory engineered solution.

This is all speculation, to be clear.

Now, whether this 'NEW' OD will fit into a UGN, or whether it has ever been adapted to fit into and work with a UGN, who knows ? I expect that time will tell.

While the rarity and mystery of this 'NEW' OD gets into the cloudy part of this story, I personally think that is is very unlikely that Claas would go to the trouble of engineering and tooling up a run of their OD's with a new bell housing for a run of 30 or 40 of them. It does not make much sense. Now, if this new version is meant for the UHN series, where the application is in the thousands, then that does make good sense to me.

It could be that this 'NEW' box is made for something else entirely, and has nothing to do with UNIMOGs, of course. The spline count and the bell housing could be a coincidence.

The Encounter / Story

The odd part was the attitude. It was like a strange game of keep-away : " I have this information and you don't ! You want it...? Ha !"

Then, taking this forum as some sort of homogenous mass of UNIMOG enthusiasts, a mass that gave Larry Perkins a hard time and drove him away...., well, that is a leap.

After having re-read the thread regarding Larry's OD adaptation, I realize that he did get a little more guff than I remembered. He clearly knew what he was on about, and he identified a gearing void for his application, and he set about to fix the problem. The commentators that were giving him a slightly hard time seemed to think they knew more about driving his UNIMOG around Australia than he did, which is a little odd in itself.

Then, the extra attitude, well, that was the gravy. The whole "do-nothing, Couch Potatoes, Ego Stoking (as if...)" is just a bunch of unwarranted ravings. Not based on anything, and just an odd way to announce that you have found a 'NEW' Claas OD that might be of interest to UNIMOG guys.

'PROVE ME WRONG' is combative and just sorta Goofy.

Anyway, some photos.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Just some quick doodles
seem to show that the donut holes in the New bell housing are at least very close to the size of the mounts for the OM352 / OM 366 donuts. The hole size is compared to the same cast-in rib on the case, just as a rough reference.

The red and the yellow circles are the same size in each photo.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
More work with the crayons, trying to get an idea of the relative bell housing depths between the two.
An imprecise exercise to say the least, but they look fairly close.

The New one is clearly deeper, as far as where the shaft is, and the overall length is similar, but the new one does seem a little longer overall. It is hard to say with this Mickey Mouse approach.

The shaft looks to extend out of the case more on the Old one, but it isn't surprising, as it is all down to the engine block / clutch assembly of the corresponding engine.

In the end, I'm just curious. The overall length does not matter between the two, as they are designed for different applications.

\

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
Taking advantage of some down time got me sniffing around Class a bit and I see they do have an agricultural presence in North America and I do wonder if these unit might also see main line duty on one of their range of equipment that just also happens to be compatible with newer Mercedes bits. Mercedes being a rather prolific supplier of diesel engines and all.

I get the feeling that because we didn't welcome him as the new overdrive messiah, his views on us became tainted, pointing out prior works likely didn't help much either.

But hey, some men you just can't reach right?

61 - 67 of 67 Posts