Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture is worth a thousand something or others, but if I remember right, there is one drain, and two fills, one fill is for "when installed in MB Trac", but that should be cast into the housing.
Picture is worth a thousand something or others, but if I remember right, there is one drain, and two fills, one fill is for "when installed in MB Trac", but that should be cast into the housing.
Hi all I know this is not the place to start but this new format sucks . I want to tell this forum the existence of a CLAAS OVERDRIVE BUILT to fit U4000 U5000 it has all the apendages to bolt straight up to OM904la OM924la it has a 18 spline input shaft has side mount input central slave same as the U4000 and U5000 it is indeed made by CLAAS with part numbers . and the best part is you can retro fit your sbu OM352 or OM366 will make power upgrades easy to find larger clutches or even if you dream about putting OM906la or whatever. I have them in my garage for those non believers I have the photos to prove it . And on another note I am the builder and owner of the U1750l38 DOKA with well body and aluminium wheels and stretched cab . if you know how to move this post to the correct place please do so feel free to contact me and tell me what i am doing wrong ,and by the way I have a pallet load of these .

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Ezy-Trailer, Your information is great, but I'd suggest starting your own thread to post, so you can build it, post photos and so on.

All you have to do is :

A. Start with the home page of this UNIMOG Forum - that is, the page that displays all of the entries, not on an individual topic, as this is.

B. Click on the Blue 'START CONVERSATION' Box in the upper right.

C. Set your title, and off you go.

The moderators can cut this part of this thread, starting with your post, and start a new thread, or add it to a new thread that you open up.

Thanks for posting - the more the merrier, and the greater the reach around the world, the better, without doubt .

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all I want to tell this forum the existence of a CLAAS OVERDRIVE BUILT to fit U4000 U5000 it has all the apendages to bolt straight up to OM904la OM924la it has a 18 spline input shaft has side mount input central slave same as the U4000 and U5000 it is indeed made by CLAAS with part numbers . and the best part is you can retro fit your sbu OM352 or OM366 will make power upgrades easy to find larger clutches or even if you dream about putting OM906la or whatever. I have them in my garage for those non believers I have the photos to prove it . And on another note I am the builder and owner of the U1750l38 DOKA with well body and aluminium wheels and stretched cab . if you know how to move this post to the correct place please do so feel free to contact me and tell me what i am doing wrong ,and by the way I have a pallet load of these .

zzzzz.JPG

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Are the Class units you have the same as the ones developed by Perkins ?

Your great looking DOKA is a different animal Altogether - the custom rims at 22.5" are very
interesting. I'm guessing they are 22.5", as that pattern of Michelin is only available in that size, as far as I know. I believe the photo with the torque wrench shows the 'Standard' XZL, on a 20" rim. Maybe.

In any case, it would be nice to see some photos of the Claas overdrives, and if possible, more photos of your DOKA.

I can't move this to a new thread, but I believe Trev can.

Thanks.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,078 Posts
It's existence has been known for some time...

if you want to sell here as a vendor, you'll have to contact the site admin's.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I do not want sell on this sight I just want to know has one person ever seen one got a photo any spec i have read this forum for years there is no proof that it exists do you have a part number ?

I do

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,078 Posts
No I do not want sell on this sight I just want to know has one person ever seen one got a photo any spec i have read this forum for years there is no proof that it exists do you have a part number ?

I do
part number of what? A Claas overdrive? Yes, for the SBU series it exists in the EPC, not sure about the U4000, never cared to look as there are under 10 in North America.

There is proof it exists, there's several articles (some I posted) on the guy that made it, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

The article (posted above, but here again..) is right here: https://www.goauto.com.au/news/mercedes-benz/unimog/larry-rsquo-s-retirement-goes-into-overdrive/2014-06-04/24085.html

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the part is the standard claas overdrive it will not fit a u4000 as it does not mount to the chassis it is for OM352 or OM366 that one was mounted with a adapter plate and a modified input shaft and central slave cylinder ..I am asking has there been any proof of this transmission exist ?????

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,295 Posts
Hey Ezy trailer, your pretty lippy for a dude with 7 posts behind his name!
I had to read thru this thread twice and I still have no idea if your selling, building or looking for something???
As to the overdrive as stated before its been around since 2013/14. Since you find that this format sucks so much obviously you had trouble finding this thread -- https://www.benzworld.org/threads/unimog-overdrive.1728041/ that was started by LarryP50 who I'm betting dollar to dohnuts is the L perkins the developer of this overdrive.
G Vavra

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
Hi all I know this is not the place to start but this new format sucks . I want to tell this forum the existence of a CLAAS OVERDRIVE BUILT to fit U4000 U5000 it has all the apendages to bolt straight up to OM904la OM924la it has a 18 spline input shaft has side mount input central slave same as the U4000 and U5000 it is indeed made by CLAAS with part numbers . and the best part is you can retro fit your sbu OM352 or OM366 will make power upgrades easy to find larger clutches or even if you dream about putting OM906la or whatever. I have them in my garage for those non believers I have the photos to prove it . And on another note I am the builder and owner of the U1750l38 DOKA with well body and aluminium wheels and stretched cab . if you know how to move this post to the correct place please do so feel free to contact me and tell me what i am doing wrong ,and by the way I have a pallet load of these .

So if I'm reading this right, you have a pallet worth of Claas units that have been tinkered with to fit the U4000/5000 with the OM904LA & OM924LA power train and intone that these could be used to retrofit an older SBU with same or even an OM906LA.

So far so good?

If so this is true, North America is not the happy hunting ground, as Trev points out you could count the total fleet on two hands and they are likely in municipal or industrial service and not likely to be monkeyed with. Not for a long while yet when they get sold off, probably through Ritchie Brothers where I hear you can get a great deal on a U500 Road Building Machine. Your pallet lot is interesting, provided you still have them when these trucks start going private world wide. As Trev points out, you cannot sell them here without being a vendor and the line between vending versus casual off site sales is as clear as it is vague; clearing some old bits from the shop is one thing but selling for commerce is a whole other: play nice.

As for your U1750L38, it's always good to see owners of unique trucks pop up, baby pictures are always appreciated. We love to see how you did it versus the factory or others, a rare moment of group think being a benefit.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,078 Posts
I was just saying I haven't personally looked up much U4000 stuff becaue I live in North America, and it's not much interest here, I don't think Ezy trailer is in North America (Aus perhaps?) Might just be a communication issue, no harm no foul.

I wasn't harping on him, just trying to understand the question or point so I can help if it's a question, or point in the right direction.

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
790 Posts
I “might” be interested. My U500NA turns 1950rpm at 60mph with 395s . A question that has NEVER been answered: what is the actual ratio of the Claas. I don’t want to hear “22%”. Is it 0.78 or 0.82????
And what is the cost?

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I “might” be interested. My U500NA turns 1950rpm at 60mph with 395s . A question that has NEVER been answered: what is the actual ratio of the Claas. I don’t want to hear “22%”. Is it 0.78 or 0.82????
And what is the cost?
And what is the cost?
Hi the answer to your question is 0. 78 . the more important question is the 395s have a max speed rating I think of approximately 60 mph with the overdrive. I would not turn them faster. The overdrive will drop the rpm to the 1650 mark that you already know . You will need to find out if the flywheel housing is sae 3 or sae 2 and what clutch size is it, 395mm or 430mm. If it is the smaller, and I think it is, you can use a 2 to 3 adapter plate. As this transmission is all made by Claas, it has an sae 3. As for the pallet of these, I purchased as a lot with no final thought on what I will do with them . The transmissions are in shipping at this point in time . As to the dollars, it is not for sale at this point in time. If I do sell some of them and if any are left over, then they will be listed on the usual sell sites.

The photos I have are not clear to post on this forum but when I have them in hand I will post the info so this forum knows what to look for for your projects .

PS the u500A already must have all the go fast gears as standard and to the other forum members who think the number of post you have is the sum total of your knowledge of the subject , I personally have played with Unimogs for 29 years and have developed the aluminium wheels 19 years ago and the wheels i now run are the second version . And to answer the question why did I do it, it is just because they did not exist with proper fitment and I wanted them. The Hutchinson aluminium wheel was not around way back then . This forum is a grate source of knowledge for new Unimog owners and old ones alike . Many times over the years I have seen the loud mouth comments that turns people away and Larry Perkins was one of them and I have spoken many times with the man.

The Question I asked in my first post was, and still is, has any actual photo of the transmission been posted or any part number been posted ?

And if the answer is no, and thus I will have something new to add .

1 - 20 of 67 Posts