Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It might be that range change just needs adjustment.
Here is the procedure:
Awesome. Thanks. Just about to hit the bunk but I’ll read that tmrw. Where do you guys get the workshop manual from? I’m currently downloading one (10gb) that I just purchased. Hopefully as detailed as the info you guys kindly provide!

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
952 Posts
Re manual, I used to use a CD or DVD disk, but now it’s downloaded onto a Microsoft Sync and also on a little “dongle” with a USB male plug sticking out. I wonder if I can email the thing to you? I will look later as to its “size”.
Also it’s a feature on my 2 Star systems, on an old IBM laptop and a Toughbook.

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Re manual, I used to use a CD or DVD disk, but now it’s downloaded onto a Microsoft Sync and also on a little “dongle” with a USB male plug sticking out. I wonder if I can email the thing to you? I will look later as to its “size”.
Cheers, I will send you a DM about it - Maybe Dropbox? Currently looking at AUTEL and other systems and compatibility! I’m sure I was going to bed 90 min ago…!

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Well, I got the machine back from the spray shop (attached) and checked the linkage length - had to make a dummy guide as my calipers can’t fit in there but it’s 127 plus or minus maybe 2mm max.
I did a minor teach, then a major, last step in both instances takes quite some time (more than 30 sec)

through the various motions of driving, teaching etc the errors that came were GS11 GS17 and “( n )” ~no spaces, but it creates an emoji if I type it exactly~

video attached you can hear what I believe to be the pneumatic solenoid actuating

I’m pondering tightening the linkage 1mm just to see if that leads to success - side note it’s in a bitch of a location.

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I would definitely test that transmission fluid.
SAE 75 W-80 (235.41)
I'm thinking...might be a solenoid for range change...
When you shift from 4th to 5th does it go to neutral or does it stay in 4th?
Also looking at changing the fluid as the stuff I ordered has arrived. I hope it’s an easier task than the linkage!

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
further update. I changed the linkage spacing about 1-2mm either side of its first position. Made no difference to the problem.
I filmed the linkage during a minor teach and as you can see from the video, it’s moving no prob.

when I go into the faults section after getting the various GS faults mentioned earlier, I find the GS0511 as shown.
Going to start digging through the manuals I was kindly sent and see what else springs to mind!

Sky Automotive lighting Cloud Vehicle Gauge

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
952 Posts
The GS (actually all) error codes should be 2 capital letters, like GS, referring to which computer system. Then 5 digits, not 2!!
The “n” in parentheses refers to the computer controlled fixed rpm fast idle switch, which for normal driving should be OFF. I use it rarely for stuff like running my hydraulic generator at 890 rpm for example. When ON the truck is likely undrivable, at least in a normal way. The switch is on the panel between the seats.

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The GS (actually all) error codes should be 2 capital letters, like GS, referring to which computer system. Then 5 digits, not 2!!
The “n” in parentheses refers to the computer controlled fixed rpm fast idle switch, which for normal driving should be OFF. I use it rarely for stuff like running my hydraulic generator at 890 rpm for example. When ON the truck is likely undrivable, at least in a normal way. The switch is on the panel between the seats.
Hmmmm… Seems I only get 2 digit codes, e.g. 24 if the park brake isnt on when I do the teach and the others are 21 or 17 usually. I bit the bullet and got the Unimog guy in from the city (1 1/2 hours away) and he ran the diagnostics on it and it came up fine. He then started swinging spanners on the forward end of the transmission. he had to leave before finishing but when I last saw him he said he was going to do some more research and some back soon to continue, as well as change the trans oil. - Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well another update. It seems. He’s done some research and determined that its the EPS controller that might be the source of the issue, so that is getting changed early next week. And just to show how over the barrel we are here… about USD2,500 for the controller - seem right (matters not, I have no choice). Also changing trans oil (he scowled at the product I was going to use and instead is getting Castrol (I couldn’t source it) - USD350 for 20lt.

Never a dull moment - just need this puppy on the road before the snow hits!

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
952 Posts
EPS controller = GS computer? Too bad, I have a spare in a box in my camper’s pantry, cost me ~$200 when Unimog North America had it’s “going out of business” sale. Wouldn’t work in yours. What transmission fluid were you going use?
Do you know about this list?
Go first to page 231.3

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
EPS controller = GS computer? Too bad, I have a spare in a box in my camper’s pantry, cost me ~$200 when Unimog North America had it’s “going out of business” sale. Wouldn’t work in yours. What transmission fluid were you going use?
Do you know about this list?
Go first to page 231.3
Thanks. Yes I had seen the list but couldn’t source the approved ones. Looks like the MB guy can!

·
Registered
‘06 U400
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Is that the part we are talking about?
If so, then you can find it for 1/3 of MB price.
A 000 260 32 98
WABCO 433 150 020 0

View attachment 2723530
Yeh that’s what he took, I guess there is a microprocessor or something integrated in it? Anyhow I’m at their mercy, no way he will install something I get. Japan is funny like that and in this instance in particular, I’m over the barrel.
How it typically works is that they charge low labour rates but gouge you on materials.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts