·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Bluetec = Addblue? = lower emissions
Addition of Urea? based compound to minimise No2 emissions
Cant figger that is is necess as Man and others can manage with no additives
Seems the Germans use "blue" to denote eco friendly
Because in Germany the Green party is so strong
that manufacturers do not wish to use "green" in the way we English speaking nations do
VW also use "bluemotion" for their most environmentally friendly cars / autos
Cheers

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
So, do BlueTech4 engines meet US DOT emission standards now ? Or, do we need to wait until the US diesel sulfur spec is cranked down another notch ??

·
Registered
790 Posts
So, do BlueTech4 engines meet US DOT emission standards now ? Or, do we need to wait until the US diesel sulfur spec is cranked down another notch ??
There are 2 problems:
1) the 25% import duty on trucks, which I don't ever see going away. The U500 snuck in as an "implement carrier".
2) I've heard EPA 2010 diesel specs are as rigorous as Euro 6! Which isn't supposed to be till 2013 or later.
That said, it's pretty certain we'll see some more passenger cars with diesels in the next 12-24 months.

Charlie

·
Registered
189 Posts
ad blue is a by-product (or something) from a fertilizer factory nearby (YARA). its a nitrate thingus that get injected in the exhaust and lowers the NO3 emmission i believe. We do some contract work at that factory and the explaned it some years back. So to get to euro4 emission norms the truck manufacturars can use the Hp output of an engine and still get good emmission values.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Bluetec = Addblue? = lower emissions
Addition of Urea? based compound to minimise No2 emissions
Cant figger that is is necess as Man and others can manage with no additives
Seems the Germans use "blue" to denote eco friendly
Because in Germany the Green party is so strong
that manufacturers do not wish to use "green" in the way we English speaking nations do
VW also use "bluemotion" for their most environmentally friendly cars / autos
Cheers
I see !!! Thanks !

GB

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are 2 problems:
1) the 25% import duty on trucks, which I don't ever see going away. The U500 snuck in as an "implement carrier"..
Charlie
not to derail the thread- but what how do the Japanese get away with selling 10's of thousands of trucks in the same weight range as the Mog? they don't just eat the difference, I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Truktor,

Once again thanks for trhe excellent photos and info on the BlueTec system.
I had not heard of it before but then again I was not listening either. Very interesting system how the use / addition of ammonia NH3 reacts with the nitrogen oxides NOs to produce water and nitrogen. Seems like a reasonable way to address the acidity issue in exhaust emmisions. Of course now you have to have ammonia readily accesible which could also pose some environmental hazards of its own. Still, it looks like great technology and I wish my mog had it.

Thanks for showing us.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts