Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Unimog 404s
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the propane conversion kit I got from K.C. Carpenter on my 404s, and the results are SUPER. It runs better, smells better, and has more power. And the kit is right on, with everything you need (minus a tank). All hoses, clamps, etc., and he'll sell it to you for under $600.

On tanks, I went to my local tank supply company and picked up two 30 lb. steel forklift bottles for $125 (for bother). Hooked those up and it ran like a champ.

I just have a couple of notes:

1. (I had to call K.C. to find this out) You need to remove the oil bath air filter in order to mount the regulator/converter. If you don't, I have no idea where you would mount them, since there's little room under the hood.

2. Related to #1, I went down to my local AutoZone, and they had a $25.00 cone air filter (with chrome - I'm blingin now) and a flexible/extendable air cleaner routing hose ($20). With these two and a couple of clamps, I was able to get an air cleaner hooked up. I think I'm going to get another extension and then I can basically have a deep water kit by mounting the air cleaner to the mirror.

That's it. If anyone else is considering a propane conversion, GET THE KIT FROM K.C. The price is right, and it's got everything you need.

-- Frank

·
Registered
1964 404LF8TS Firetruck
1 Posts
ncmogger said:
I just installed the propane conversion kit I got from K.C. Carpenter on my 404s, and the results are SUPER. It runs better, smells better, and has more power. And the kit is right on, with everything you need (minus a tank). All hoses, clamps, etc., and he'll sell it to you for under $600.

On tanks, I went to my local tank supply company and picked up two 30 lb. steel forklift bottles for $125 (for bother). Hooked those up and it ran like a champ.

I just have a couple of notes:

1. (I had to call K.C. to find this out) You need to remove the oil bath air filter in order to mount the regulator/converter. If you don't, I have no idea where you would mount them, since there's little room under the hood.

2. Related to #1, I went down to my local AutoZone, and they had a $25.00 cone air filter (with chrome - I'm blingin now) and a flexible/extendable air cleaner routing hose ($20). With these two and a couple of clamps, I was able to get an air cleaner hooked up. I think I'm going to get another extension and then I can basically have a deep water kit by mounting the air cleaner to the mirror.

That's it. If anyone else is considering a propane conversion, GET THE KIT FROM K.C. The price is right, and it's got everything you need.

-- Frank

How are to Propane prices and availibily vs gas?

I'm wondering if it be worth it for me to make such a modification to my LF8TS.

I have a junk Carb and have to do a complete replacement instead of rebuilding.

Regards,

bullyhys

·
Registered
1969 Swiss Unimog 404s
8 Posts
Here goes an attempt at resurrecting and ancient thread. Does this kit from K.C. Carpenter still exist?

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,009 Posts
That would be my kit. Only part no longer available is the adapter to rotate the carb.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,009 Posts
I may be able to provide one later on this year.

·
Registered
1963 Unimog 404
42 Posts
I have a design for said adapter. I have installed this kit on my mog but haven’t finished reassembly because i’m tinkering with a bunch of other stuff. I made it thin enough to fit the same as the gas carb, but had to add spacers for the nuts because the studs aren’t fully threaded.

·
Registered
1963 Unimog 404
42 Posts
The opening on the propane carb is a bit larger than the opening on the gas carb, so the adapter is sized accordingly for a seemless transition and maximized air flow. I received a few messages asking if I will sell the cad file... i will not sell it. But i will gladly give it to anyone that wants it fo free! You can have your local machine shop fabricate it for you or you could even 3D print it from a high temp plastic like PEI or PEEK. If there is enough interest, I will have a batch of them made and sell them at cost. I’m not interested in making money from this. I’m just pleased to contribute back to the community that has helped me so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts