Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota FJ 40 LC
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all Moggers,
I am new to the Unimog scene and would love any input from some of the more experienced members. For many years I have heard many great things about Unimogs but have never had the opportunity to own one, until now. I have been a diehard Land Cruiser guy for a long time but I know comparing the 2 would be like comparing apples and oranges as they are 2 very different vehicles. But what has made me such a diehard Cruiser fan has been the reliability, ease of maintenance, and capabilities offroad.

The model I am looking at is the 404 gas model either in troop carrier config or in radio box. Can anyone provide me any information on performance (offroad and highway), driveability, reliability, maintenance, and pros and cons of diff countries of origin (i.e. German vs. Swiss, etc.) as well as pros and cons of the 2 diff configs I mentioned above. Also, are there any features that are a must for offroading as I will be using this as a work truck on a ranch in the hill country of Texas? Thanks in advance for any input and I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Goose

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
S 404

The Swiis Troop Transporter was "customized" somewhat from the German version of the same truck. It has breakers instead of fuses which I like myself. The interior and controls are the same. Canvas is set up a bit different. You will not be in an air-conditioned environment and course you are sitting on top of a hot engine in the summer months. If you like the creature comforts, this may not be to your liking in Texas. These trucks are great, but remember they were designed for the military. High ground clearance, poor gas mileage, and HEAVY!
[8D][8D]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 404 hardcab and chassis for sale in Jacksonville FL. If you're nearby you're we...

I have a 404 hardcab and chassis for sale in Jacksonville FL. If you're nearby you're welcome to come check it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts