Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1978 U900 406
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what its uses are i understand its a supply from the unimogs battery system is it taken from both battery or jsut one. Also wondering what sort equipment would have been run off it, and if a male socket is easy to get hold of. I have looked on the forum but cant find much info about it.

Many thanks

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,033 Posts
I have two converters from the "mog" plug to a "US army" plug and a huge extension cable to allow jump starting etc from truck to truck or truck to camper.

If any one wants to make an offer, I don't have a use for them.

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Hi Liam,

The slave socket is primarily intended for jump starting the truck, or another. It is connected to both batteries so it's 24 v. Many NATO mil vehs had them. The older mogs have a two pin type. Newer military vehicles have a single center pin 'coaxial' connector. There are converter plugs to cross-over between the two types.

Many generators have the same connector as DC output and can be used to charge up truck batteries, or supply 24v DC for radio trucks or any other DC powered tools or equipment. The 404 radio trucks typically have a box under the radio rack which is an input connector (NATO Slave) from an external generator, to run the radios and keep the box batteries charged.

Several people have utilized the NATO plugs and a NATO slave cable to connect to a portable winch.

Replacement cable ends are sort of scarce. Best source is from slave cables. The vehicle sockets are available from such places as Coleman's Surplus and Saturn Surplus.

Bob

Just wondering what its uses are i understand its a supply from the unimogs battery system is it taken from both battery or jsut one. Also wondering what sort equipment would have been run off it, and if a male socket is easy to get hold of. I have looked on the forum but cant find much info about it.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1973 U600, 1977 U900
33 Posts

Many thanks
Hey Liam - how's that "4000hrs only - uses no oil" engine of yours?

In bit's with you standing over it going "...errrrmmm...somebody help me" I'm guessing.

As the inspecting mechanic said to me on the phone

"Quite right - it wouldn't use any oil if it didn't have any f***ing oil in it in the first place!

At least I've got the satisfaction of knowing you're going to have a hell of a job selling that machine now - word's out, you clown ;)

Thanks for wasting my time and energy, Liam.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Hey Liam - how's that "4000hrs only - uses no oil" engine of yours?

In bit's with you standing over it going "...errrrmmm...somebody help me" I'm guessing.

As the inspecting mechanic said to me on the phone

"Quite right - it wouldn't use any oil if it didn't have any f***ing oil in it in the first place!

At least I've got the satisfaction of knowing you're going to have a hell of a job selling that machine now - word's out, you clown ;)

Thanks for wasting my time and energy, Liam.
You made your point in the thread you started, which I thought was reasonable and fair.Obviously we have only heard your side so far. However, if you drag up every thread this guy has ever posted and nail this sort of guff to it, you're going to make yourself look daft.
I wish you well on your search for a serviceable Mog, if the experience hasn't scared you off.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
...Thanks for wasting my time and energy, Liam.

Mogman as the Moderator I will request you to NOT do to the readers here what you are complaining this fellow did to you. DO NOT WASTE OUR TIME and like Normal hints... in the long run you're going to make yourself look daft if you do.

You made your point in the thread you started, which I thought was reasonable and fair.Obviously we have only heard your side so far. However, if you drag up every thread this guy has ever posted and nail this sort of guff to it, you're going to make yourself look daft.
I wish you well on your search for a serviceable Mog, if the experience hasn't scared you off.
Well put NormalBloke and agree with you entirely.

·
Registered
1978 U900 406
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will apologise for "wasting your time " mogman. But i only explained truthfully there was a issue with the engine and i am not going too sell dodgy goods. Rant over. Coach feel free too remove me from the forum.

Thanks for all the help in the past, to all the members.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,033 Posts
I will apologise for "wasting your time " mogman. But i only explained truthfully there was a issue with the engine and i am not going too sell dodgy goods. Rant over. Coach feel free too remove me from the forum.

Thanks for all the help in the past, to all the members.
Don't go running off into the woods just yet. Let some of us help you get your truck back together and help you sell it to the proper person. Its of course very unfortunate that things fell the way they did, but pick up the pieces and move on. AV has good used engines for right at about 3K. And rebuilding is pretty cheap and easy as well. You just have to know where to get your parts from.

·
Registered
1978 U900 406
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for the considerate reply. But its not great being named and shamed over the issue at hand. I cant help for the lack of mechanical knowledge and i hope mogman understands this.

On the brightside i may be found a donor engine up here. Supposedly a ex generator unit from a RAF camp. Dont know much particulars yet, but i will keep everyone posted if anything happens.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,822 Posts
So uhhh... back to the nato plug topic, is it possible that these units are still being produced or are part of some companies vast catalog of connector products?

On the flip side, couldn't it be possible to use standard off the shelf "shore power" connectors like RV's and emergency service vehicles have? As long as your power source and power consumer have the same connectors that is.

·
Registered
1978 U900 406
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its probably just easier too use jump leads if your batteries are low. Although you could likely put any connector on you wish if you were goin too power a winch with it for example. Theres nothin stopping you using connector of a different breed, but the chances of sharing the same connector with another vehicle is likely too be low.

·
Premium Member
G500 and '87 435
373 Posts
Does anyone have a good close up pic of one of these for a 435 SBU 24V?

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Here are some BW/NATO sockets that show up on EBay.de. There are matching two pole cables in various lengths, or just the male plugs with short pigtails.

While they look nice, I don't think they offer much advantage to the popular Anderson Connectors.
They do have a nice cap and seal up well,and there is nothing wrong with them, as long as you have
Both sides to the equation.

Bw Ladedose Natosteckdose 12-24 V nato lade dose iltis bundeswehr bw unimog wolf | eBay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BW-Bundeswehr-Starthifekabel-Schweineschnauzen-Steckdose-/331063438883?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item4d14eb2e23

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nato-Steckdose-oliv-Grun-35qmm-2polig-m-2-0m-Kabel-f-Armee-Bundeswehr-Bw-Feue-/360774507187?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item53ffd61ab3

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bw-Bundeswehr-Nato-Steckdose-z-B-fur-Magirus-MAN-Kat-Unmog-usw-3-/281119801813?pt=NATO_Shop&hash=item41740bc1d5

·
Premium Member
1991 U1550L37, 2019 G550
2,030 Posts
Jason,
If you need the cable and not the sockets, I can bring one back from Calgary to Denver. I paid $100 and would give it away for that as I bought 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts