Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 4matic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still looking for that perfect Unimog. I think I've narrowed it down to a 416. I've searched the forums a bunch, but I've not had a ton of luck finding much info on using a Mog for towing. I know it's more than capable. I'm just wondering how it compares to towing with say a full size truck. I'd be using it to tow a large, 30' boat, weighing around 9000 pounds. I assume the act of launching and retrieving the boat would be no problem for a mog. But aside from the fact that they're noisy and slow, how do they do hauling a large trailer down the highway?

·
Registered
2000 E430 4matic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets say 40 miles, with the odd 100 mile trip thrown in once or twice a year.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,399 Posts
A 416 would tow a boat that size just fine - just not very fast. In fact, it would tow 3-4 boats that size :)

If you are going to jump on a traffic clogged highway with it, you may need to re-evaluate. Remember that a STOCK geared 416 will be hard pressed to hit 50 MPH. If one had a situation where they needed to get to and launch/recover a craft from a primitive ramp, Mogs would be perfect - running down the highway, less so.

But it can be done - easily.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
You could almost put a 9000lb boat on the BED of my truck. My truck is 7500lb but has a GVW of about 15000lb (or close to it). I'd have to double check the VIN.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
I used to put a Suzuki Sammy on the deck of my Dodge and tow a boat. By the time you hit the docks you will have heat exhaustion and delerious from exposure to the noise, vibrations and heat and the boat pushing you through corners and down hills. Towing can be risky business for a novice especially pushing the limits I am not referring to you as a novice. You might be too exhausted to launch and resort to lying in the water savoring your fav carbonated beverage ok just a attempt at humor.

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
I used to put a Suzuki Sammy on the deck of my Dodge and tow a boat. By the time you hit the docks you will have heat exhaustion and delerious from exposure to the noise, vibrations and heat and the boat pushing you through corners and down hills. Towing can be risky business for a novice especially pushing the limits I am not referring to you as a novice. You might be too exhausted to launch and resort to lying in the water savoring your fav carbonated beverage ok just a attempt at humor.
Wow, I often pull 7300lb (legal in the UK) with my Jeep ZG and dont bat an eye lid. I often read about lower tow limits and problems from you guys over the pond, but it's not something that you tend to hear talked about over here... and you guys don't have to negotiate roundabouts doing it ;)

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Roundabouts have made their wat to Anchorage. When you have a little experience towing heavy loads it's not a big deal but wag your tail in a 406 towing 10K trailer and you will make it in Truktors crashed file. This state is full of tourist and chechakos loading their Rigs and trailers for the first time and the carnage can be seen all over. Frequently people go too fast and here and unaware of just approaching the next frost heave that sends rigs airborne. Memorial day weekend is chaos and many folks stay home to avoid the boats and motorhomes etc.. I pull 50,000 pound excavators in winter behind funky old cabovers that throw slush on the mirrors making them useless and compounded by poor road conditions and it sucks.

·
Registered
1984 406
565 Posts
Here is one of me pulling a 38' house boat with STEEL piontoons! Damn heavy, MUD

Attachments

·
Registered
'62 404 Bundeswehr Radio Truck, '61 Bundeswehr 404 Doka
438 Posts
Here is one of me pulling a 38' house boat with STEEL piontoons! Damn heavy, MUD
THAT is a cool photo! Quite the load too!

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,404 Posts
I regularly tow with my 406, however, my trailer is limited to about 10,000lbs and I have not towed that much (more like 7,000lbs and for six hours) but the 406 does fine, just note the SLOWWWWWW nature of it all. I have had just shy of 8,000lbs in the bed of my truck (gravel / boulders) and it has to be noted that there is approximately 1,500lbs of backhoe braces, tanks, fluid what ever on there already. No issues, but still SLOWWWWW. I'm note sure that this is a prudent amount to put in, but I do it very regularly. Note that I ain't too smart either.

To make matters more fun, I put in a 12V converter, installed a standard trailer brake controller and fabricated a 24V to 12V relay bank to send lighting to my trailer. The mogs 24V if you haven't filled in that blank, and my trailer is the town bike, so it has to remain 12V. If I had done a neater job, and the Mog wasn't out in the woods I'd start a 12V conversion and trailer wiring thread like I had planned to, but I must deal with the three feet of snow on the ground (three more coming this week) and my less than professional installation before the thread goes out. You guys are much more skilled than I am and I have thin skin.

Anyway, if you tow, the trailer brakes are a really huge benefit, regardless of vehicle.

Of note, my manual says that my mog is rated for 22,000kg towing. That's a lot, just wonder if it is meant for highway or field speeds. I suspect that the rear diff does care.

·
Registered
1984 406
565 Posts
MUD, what did that sucker weigh in at?
It was estimated by the owner at 12,750 lb. That did not take into consideration when I pulled it out the first time that it had leaky pontoons! I was really scrambling at the top of the ramp, there was a little loose gravel and I had just made the trailer and the guy running the front and rear hydraullic levelers had all the weight on the back 2 wheels! Thought I was going to spin all the way back down. I also air down when pulling them out now, I only have to move 1 a distance, the rest stay at the marina dry docked.
Getting back to the 1200's, it looks as if your off to a good start. remember, if you find your in over your head, call me!:D MUD

·
Registered
1984 406
565 Posts
Of note, my manual says that my mog is rated for 22,000kg towing. That's a lot, just wonder if it is meant for highway or field speeds. I suspect that the rear diff does care.
The manual says? :rolleyes: The manual says? If I can lift it up and the 406 gets moving, that means the manual better say it can do it! MUD

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,399 Posts
Yeah - I think a TC equipped unit is the only way you're gonna pull the big loads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts