Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched in vain for UniMog's with Automatic Transmissions. I've found SB350 converisons, but no Automatic Transmission conversions.<br>
<br>
Has anyone any information on Automatic Transmission Conversions?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: UniMog & Automatic Transmission

The only way to do this is to come up with a seperate transfer case. The Unimog transmission and transfer case are a single unit. There is a good reason nobody has done this.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Brent, thanks for that informaton. I've missed that 'little' detail when I've been doing my research... I guess it's hand controls!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Leve:<br> Have you ever considered a torque converter?<br> They are available for Unimogs. The same unit fits 416 and 417 models. It provides a 1.94 mutlipication and is positioned between the engine and the regular clutch. I have 1 on my 416 and it greatly reduces the amount of shifting. From a dead stop in 8th gear for flat in town try driving.<br> There are 2 bell housings for these Unimog models. The one to mate the torque converted to the engine is the shorter of the 2 so that with the torque converter attached, it is an identical match for the 1 without torque converter.<br> It is the best thing since sliced bread!<br> Dave

·
Registered
C280 2009, Unimog 406 1978.
34 Posts
Torque Converter help

Hi guys, I have a 406 with Torque converter. once you are moving, you dont need the clutch any more. it basically operates under the turbine principle but with the difference that the stator is monted on a free wheel. so when you are just moving, the stator works deflecting the fluid and adding extra torque (1:1.94) once its been moved (monted on a free wheel) it stops acting as torque converter and then it acts as hydraulic clutch.
Well I'm having problems with my torque converter due to a leak, but im not quite sure if its a simple problem or a complicated one where in need to bring down the box. If you have time please take a look at the presentation in the zip file and see if any of you have an answer for the questions or know where i could get them.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,978 Posts
There are a a small handful of 404's in the world that have been converted to automatic transmissions. Both retaining the stock transmission as well as some that get rid of the mog transmission all together.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
u90 & u100 used a divorced transfer case design and had a standard Turbo-Hydromatic derived transmission in place. But while functional, is not the wonder of a beastly true unimog transmission & tranfercase.

The torque converter transmissions as found on the 406/416 aircraft tug models will permit preselection of a gear and then allow a ramp up in power delivery, very smooth from what I am told but a specialized application option. Still not an automatic in the true sense.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
... I guess it's hand controls!
From your mention of hand controls Im guessing you do not have all of yourself fully functioning.

There is an alternative to hand controls for clutch and or gear levers. There is out there full hydraulic control for manual gear shift vehicles. These will shift gears for you at programable points in the RPM range. Basically it is a computer that determines when to shift gears and hydraulic levers that manipulate the gear shifting and clutch for you. Granted it will cost boooocudals of money to install such a thing.

since one should never go offroading alone (especially not someone with disabilities) why not give the gear shifting to the passenger? Bend up a new gear shift lever and move the hydralic clutch mechanisim to the passenger side. Granted easier said than done but might be doable.

How is your grip strength? Does anyone make a motorcycle like clutch lever you can put on the shift lever? The cable could activate a switch or hydralic valve that indirectly opperates the pedal clutch.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
M35A3's have automatic transmissions. I'm guessing it would be rather difficult to get one into a mog though.

·
Registered
'62 404 Bundeswehr Radio Truck, '61 Bundeswehr 404 Doka
438 Posts
You guys do realize this is a 9 year old thread? :)

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,978 Posts
Umm uhh yeah, I knew that. Just being thorough. And tying up loose ends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts