Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends. My name is Russ, this is my first post here. I've been into Unimogs for a while now, and have driven a few and researched a bit. Other than the noise and ride, are Unimogs decent vehicles for everyday driving? Four wheeling is cool, but I also need a good reliable truck for about 25 miles of everyday use. Usually about 30-35 miles per hour, no highway. Can I expect to find a low mileage 404 or 406 (I'd like a diesel) and use it for the type of driving I had described? About how long do the portal axles and transmissions last? Any common problems or concerns I should know about? How bout parts? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'd like to find something by or before summer time. Thanks for your help.<br>
Russ<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Those driving conditions that you are describing are exactly what the Unimog was designed for, what is stressing for a Unimog like a 406 is speed to many gears spining at a high reduction rate, as far as lasting the drive train of a Unimog is designed for high stress, under no load piece of cake, just make sure the fluids are fresh and kept up. The great unknown is what kind of abuse did the vehicle took before you got hold of it, and abuse has many faces, lack of maintenance and contaminants is one of them, after all we are dealing here with pretty old vehicles.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just make sure you get a vehicle with relatively low kilometers and hours... that may reduce some of the abuse possibilities. Also, if you want to increase your speed on a 406/416 diesel - since most don't come with fast axles - you can turn up the injection pump and put 14.5x20 tires on it. This will give you a comfortable cruising speed of 55 miles per hour, without any ill effects on the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts