Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How do you want to see advertising handled on Benzworld Unimog section

• No Advertising on forum. Classifieds and Sig ok. Answering where to buy on tech subjects ok.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Classifieds Sticky. Use your Sig with links. Answering “where to buyâ€� questions on tech subjects

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • No limits on UNIMOG related items and services. AS long as clearly labled and mog related

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • I don’t really care. I click what I want to see. (This one will be added into #3!)

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Unimog Moderator
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope these shortened versions capture the intent on the original thread:

I set it to expire in 30 days, just so in a year from now it doesn't get revived.

Original text:

#1 - No Advertising on the Forum. Use the classifieds section if needed. Use your Signature Line with links as needed. Answering “where to buy” questions on tech subjects acceptable.

#2 - Classifieds Sticky on the Forum. Advertising in the Sticky is acceptable. Use your Signature line with links as needed. Answering “where to buy” questions on tech subjects acceptable. Starting advertising threads in the general forum is not acceptable.

#3 - Complete unfettered ability to advertise UNIMOG related items and services. Must be Unimog related. Acceptable to start new For Sale threads and update them as needed. Thread must be clearly labeled.

#4 - I don’t really care. I click what I want to see. (This one will be added into #3!)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
All the vendors I know on here are really good about limiting what they post for sale and not bumping their threads to keep them at the top, which other people who are not vendors ARE doing.

In my opinion, 1 post with no bumping is good with me. So basically once it's posted, the moderator could lock the thread to prevent bumping, which has happened a lot lately, which I think gets on a lot of peoples nerves.

If anyone has any questions on what is left for sale, they could always PM the OP, or the OP should put a link in their sig to another site that has a list of prices and what is left for sale.

I'm OK with #3 as long as the threads are locked and/or NO bumping by OP.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Not looking for an argument, but just keep in mind that the above idea will hugely increase the mods workload.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Not looking for an argument, but just keep in mind that the above idea will hugely increase the mods workload.
True, but how many for sale items come up each week? Maybe 1 or 2? Hopefully we won't start getting more than that, but if we do say "post whatever you want", then this board might become more of a for sale board and not a discussion board.

So for me, unless the non-vendor posters can self moderate themselves ... yeah right ... then we probably shouldn't have any for sale items at all.

p.s. who are you and what have you done with DokaTD

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Very respectable response.

I for one have several items that are or have been listed via the mog exchange that have not sold. But I am confident that if I advertised them here, that try would sell immediatly. That said, I respect the no advertising rule and have not posted them in any form. Think of how many people are in the same position. And think of how clutters this forum would be when the flood gates open. I for one would immediately open at least two or three threads if advertising is allowed.

The reason we don't see this stuff today is due to Netiquette and enforcement by the mod Coachgeo.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
p.s. who are you and what have you done with DokaTD
Hah, this is who I am when people are not arguing stupid points and using personal attacks against me.

I am actually a very level headed non confrontational person in real life.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I like the sticky idea, but unfortunately the posts are from oldest to newest, so you'd have to go to the last page to see what's for sale. Plus I'm sure that the sticky would get cluttered too.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I like the sticky idea, but unfortunately the posts are from oldest to newest, so you'd have to go to the last page to see what's for sale. Plus I'm sure that the sticky would get cluttered too.
The solution for the clutterd for sale threads is to delete the thread every 2 weeks or every 30days. That's how we do it in the LR section of pirate. We had the same issue over there awhile back an this was the solution. It has been working pretty well.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
The following was posted by Scott Ingham in a thread he started. Just thought it was very well said and very anti inflammatory. So I felt it deserved to be here.

As a member that benefits from the ability to advertise on the forum, I am also one that thinks that it detracts from the forum. All of the long standing forums that I am a member of have a very clear no advertising policy. They have a specific location for the advertising and that is where for sale items are put. It keeps the topic area a lot cleaner and more tech related.

Separating the advertising threads also has the tendency to keep vendors IN the tech forums. I would venture to say that a forum that is cluttered up with numerous ongoing for sale threads is less likely to have other commercial vendors post into it?... Not to be a prick here, but anything that might keep a vendor with valuable knowledge out of the forum should be minimized. Where is Eurotruck, Eurotech, United Parts Service, Terry Lee Enterprises, etc.......I am not saying that advertising is the reason keeping these vendors out of this forum, but I have seen this play out repeatedly on other forums. A few vendors become the "accepted ones" of that forum and it leads to the other vendors dropping out. A no advertising policy tends to limit this dynamic.

Personally, I think a designated area for the for sale items would be great. A sticky, sub-forum, whatever. I also think the signature line is a great place as well. For sale threads can be a pain when they start getting re-hashed. For example I have a for sale thread on Pirate labeled 2010 Portal Pricing. I also have a 2011 Portal Pricing, and in a couple of months will have a 2012 Portal Pricing thread. I am constantly dealing with the 2010 thread being resurrected and having to forward people to the most current pricing thread. A link to a current sight/photo bucket, etc., in the sig. line would minimize this issue.

Bottom line, I don't really care this way or that. As long as the new moderators put a policy in place, make sure everyone understands what that policy is, and then treats everyone fairly in regards to said policy. With the group that looks like they will be taking over mod. duties I don't think this will be a problem.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
Have put in a request for both a classifieds SUB FORUM and a VENDOR's SUB FORUM to be put in the Mog forum.

Sub forums are sort of a new thing to bulletin boards..... well..... maybe better said are just now beginning to be used in various boards, though the capability was there for awhile; just no Admins really saw a reason to put them in use.

Don't know if the engine that drives this bulletin board has capability to add subforums or not, or if the Admin will like or squash the idea......

Will keep you posted

PS- Unimog vendor's.... I put a plug in for you about cost of being a Vendor. Wanted Admin to see that Mog biz are "small" compared to the vendors that sell to the huge market of MB auto parts-n-service. Hopefully they will get the hint that ya'll deserve a different price rate.

·
1,659 Posts
I run a vBulletin forum at work (software Benzworld.org runs off of)
Threads can be sorted in various ways - just not sure if a BenzWorld Mod or an Admin would have to change it and not sure of the rules on changes like that?
Last Page works pretty well (as long as you know, if your new, seems like you would figure it out pretty quickly.

As for clutter - auto delete after x weeks/months?

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts

As for clutter - auto delete after x weeks/months?
Long ago when I first took over here I went thru and started cleaning out (deleting) old for sale threads to declutter etc. and a very wise person brought it to my attention that there as a HUGE disadvantage to doing that.

As you know I'm very big on having a good archive..... and old for sell threads where ever they are located (preferably in their own location) they should be kept for they offer a new seller, prospective buyer or even a new owner a way to check to see the potential "value" of what they have. The classified area then essentially also becomes an Archive to search to get a ball park idea toward $$ value of things.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Yes plus things often don't sell and a year later you might think 'hey I need a disc wheel, didn't someone have some for sale?' or you might want to track down who bought something by contacting the seller because sometimes the buyer changes their mind later and wants to sell it, but instead lets it sit in the barn for 15 years rather than deal with it unless someone asks.

I'm not sure what you are trying to create but if it was just a sticky can't a moderator create as many of those as he sees fit without contacting the big boys? I'm also not clear why a plain old sticky doesn't fit the need.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I am guilty of posting some for sale items from time to time on here, but mainly from the standpoint that if I had posted them in the open for sale forum they would be overlooked, and that some of the items were obscure enough that people not looking to buy might just like to see what's out there. I know that I am on the hunt for many things mog all the time and I forget that the open classifieds are even on here.

That being said, I think that an unimog classified sub forum would be the best... but if that is not an option I think a classifieds sticky would work out well. I'm on a pinzgauer forum and a g-wagen forum which use the sub forum setup and it seems to work well... and you can see what was offered for sale in the past, and the money the stuff was listed for.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
This is a great topic....I think it's well to voice and talk about what's really at play here. Has it really been a problem to date?
No it hasn't because it's been heavily regulated by Coachgeo.

Sure a few slip through the cracks here and there, but the majority have been deleted or moved promptly by Coach.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Very respectable response.
Thanks. Most people like to include "you're an idiot" somewhere in their response, I don't do that. ;)

I for one have several items that are or have been listed via the mog exchange that have not sold. But I am confident that if I advertised them here, that try would sell immediatly. That said, I respect the no advertising rule and have not posted them in any form. Think of how many people are in the same position. And think of how clutters this forum would be when the flood gates open. I for one would immediately open at least two or three threads if advertising is allowed.

The reason we don't see this stuff today is due to Netiquette and enforcement by the mod Coachgeo.
I think there will be some mod work to do, even if we have a "no posting for sale items" rule. There will be some people who don't know about the "sub-forum" or the "for sale sticky" if we go either way. So just because we have rules, doesn't mean people will follow them, or try to break them.

I think a sticky would be a lot of mod work ... having to clean it up all the time. The sub-forum sounds like a GREAT idea to me. Keep the main forum to just questions and discussions. Only mod work would be moving them from the main form to the sub-forum.

So it would be http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/forsale or something like that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts