Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the proces of purchese a UNIMOG 411, '70,hard top, with a dead engine.
So because I have at home a spare FORD 5.0L V8 engine, I was thinking to change the original engine with the V8 engine.
What do you think will the original clutch, gear box and transfer case hold the abuse of the increased HP?
Please help!

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
my (educated) guess is that your right foot will decide weither it will work or not ..

it will hold for how many HP you can fit under the hood, as long as you dont use them ....

if you have an "active" driving style, i think the transmission will give in quite fast ...

·
Registered
2,401 3,411 1,406 1,416 1,MB
109 Posts
we have a backhoe with a 302 ford and a unimog trany and axels and it holds up just fine the bell housing was custom made and we used a ford clutch and welded the ford in put shat to the unimog trany works great never hade any problems and it has been going strong for 10 years now.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Just when I'm about to go off on " how can I cram this big ole engine in that little space, and it won't break anything right?", some one posts that they've done it, my back yard style, and it worked. YOU sir,(mogman700) are being called to the front for some pics. If you really made it work, I salute you, but not until pics are posted:)

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Just when I'm about to go off on " how can I cram this big ole engine in that little space, and it won't break anything right?", some one posts that they've done it, my back yard style, ... I salute you, but not until pics are posted:)
my sentaments exactly

·
Registered
1957 Unimog 30, 1999 E320, 2004 E320
352 Posts
I have seen what happens to a Unimog that has had a V8 stuffed into it and it isn't pretty. the engine compartment is way too small so the cab has to be cut, the space between the frame is too small so it needs to be cut too. The end result is an ugly mess.

I've seen the machine mogman700 is referring to and it's a seriously modified, Unimog axles and transmission but just about everything else is home built. I used to have some pictures of it, but I think they were lost many hard drive crashes ago.

Jason

·
Registered
'62 404 Bundeswehr Radio Truck, '61 Bundeswehr 404 Doka
438 Posts
Put a small 4 banger in it and enjoy it. A V8 is going to ruin the thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts