Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an strange unimog!
Is there anybody out there who can realy tell me what this thing is?

it is a Unimog 405 sh (frame nr; 405.110.800003).
I believe it to have its origin in Sweden?

It has the same engine, gearbox and axles as the 404, but the engine is in the rear, and the gearbox is remote controlled by rods and cables. There ar no frame, the chassis is the frame, and the suspension is VERY stiff and realy heavy.

Driver possition is in the middle of the front, with orbitrol hydraulic steering (with servo). it has 24v elecrical and std. NATO power source contact.

I am swapping the engine these days,(the old one has not been run since 1970).
The fun thing is that this vehicle has been registered on normal norwegian liscense plates.

I am realy thankfull if there are anybody who has any info on this vehicle!

Thanks
-Jørgen

Attachments

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
132 Posts
Now that is truly unique. I would say home-built but with that transmission cover and linkage that looks like it came from the factory. I can't wait to see if we find out more of this vehicle's story. Take a lot more pictures, please. :)

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Just when you think you know a thing or two about unimogs a post like this pops up to slap you down. Neat truck, welcome, and a few more pics please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, i can get some more pics tomorow, i think maybe that the bottom chassis is factory made and the upper is home made or something, but it looks realy professional.

does the "00003" in the frame number mean that it is number 3 ever built?
all the covers on the gearbox has mercedes part number on them. the engine is a m180.941 but i believe it was swapped somtime in the 1960's.

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
wow, more pics, that stinks of a prototype of some kind. If that's it's original condition, please please please don't restore it.

0003 would suggest the 3rd one built. Prototypes are often built together for testing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sorry, its not 100% original, the original engine lost its oil pressure sometime in the 1960's and is long gone by now. at that time it was changed with one from a car, and this engine has now rusted barrels, and bad crankshaft/bearings. the engine i am going to use now is a m180.941 from 1962 220s.

·
Registered
LAND ROVER 90 / DISCOVERY BOTH FITTED WITH TWEEKED PERKINS PRIMA ENGINES UNIMOG 404
121 Posts

has anyone noticed the similarity to the volvo L3314 could this be unimogs bid for the same contract .

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the Volvo "Valp" isi much smaller and simpler. i think the volvo was introduced in the 50's. this unimog is newer than that, I have been told it that it came to norway in 1962 or 1963.

but there i is one thing i wonder about: the suspension is WAY to stiff to be used offroad. both springs and shocks ar several times bigger than the ones on my 411. i have a bad pic of them, i can get more later

Front/rear axle. Lol the whole thing is bacwards and confusing

Attachments

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
132 Posts
Front/rear axle. Lol the whole thing is bacwards and confusing
I was wondering this earlier, is it rear steer? The linkage to the transmission looks like it runs towards the back of a normal 404. I guess you are really driving from the back of the truck?!?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, its the front axle who has the steering, but it has the hole drivetrain positioned backwards, so it is like putting the front axle in the back of a 404. (404 in reverse)

its hard to explain and i am not very good at writing english,

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
132 Posts
no, its the front axle who has the steering, but it has the hole drivetrain positioned backwards, so it is like putting the front axle in the back of a 404. (404 in reverse)

its hard to explain and i am not very good at writing english,
Your english is great and thanks for answering all the questions. I was just curious if they had switched the axles since, like you say, the rest of the drivetrain is backwards. I wonder how the transmission handles running backwards.

·
Registered
1990 Unimog 1300L, 2004 ML350, 1999 SLK 230,
579 Posts
Is there anybody out there who can realy tell me what this thing is?

it is a Unimog 405 sh (frame nr; 405.110.800003).
I believe it to have its origin in Sweden?

It has the same engine, gearbox and axles as the 404, but the engine is in the rear, and the gearbox is remote controlled by rods and cables. There ar no frame, the chassis is the frame, and the suspension is VERY stiff and realy heavy.

Driver possition is in the middle of the front, with orbitrol hydraulic steering (with servo). it has 24v elecrical and std. NATO power source contact.

I am swapping the engine these days,(the old one has not been run since 1970).
The fun thing is that this vehicle has been registered on normal norwegian liscense plates.

I am realy thankfull if there are anybody who has any info on this vehicle!

Thanks
-Jørgen
Hello Jørgen
What you have is an experimental Unimog of which there were only 6 units built in 1958. These vehicles were modified Unimog S, with the engine installed in the rear and numerous other modifications. It looks like you have unit # 3 of the six that were built. These units were originally tested by the Austrian army but it was later decided not to put them into production. The build designation 405 was used for these models, but when they weren't put into production, the number was retired until March of 2000 when the 405 designation was resurrected and used for the UGN model line (U 300, U 400 and U 500)
You probably have one of the rarest Unimogs around.
I hope this helps a bit.
Regards
Gary

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,628 Posts
TRIPPIN'

And besides getting the engine fixed, don't change a thing. I would even spend some time trying to locate the original block...you never know...it could be in a pile somewhere...

One of the "missing" JEEPS in the evolution of the original JEEP was found not too long ago running around the California desert, and it was a shock, a missing link, that was long thought lost.----this #3 belongs in a museum, and that may very well facilitate your purchase of another UNIMOG.

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
873 Posts
I agree with Truktor. If this were restored Mercedes might trade it for their museum in Gaggenau and give you a new 405 or 437.4 (UGN or UHN)!! Especially if you could find and fix the old motor. Mercedes probably has restorers on staff and might be happy to get their hands on it as-is.

Charlie

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
WOW!

You have a unique and valuable vehicle there! Thanks for sharing the excitement with us!

best regards, and good luck on your engine replacement.

Bob

Is there anybody out there who can realy tell me what this thing is?..chop....

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion this should make it to the Unimog Museum in Gaggenau, where they will be able to restore it to spec with the help of the MB factory.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,430 Posts
I agree with Truktor. If this were restored Mercedes might trade it for their museum in Gaggenau and give you a new 405 or 437.4 (UGN or UHN)!! Especially if you could find and fix the old motor. Mercedes probably has restorers on staff and might be happy to get their hands on it as-is.

Charlie
PLEASE !

If Gaggenau wants it, let THEM restore it - DON'T touch it before contacting them.

One of the fastest appreciating group of vehicles out there right now are ORIGINAL, UNTOUCHED examples. Sort of like old (real old) furniture, ect.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts