Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

· Registered
'88 gd240 / '85 240TD /87' 300TD / 88' flu419
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Although the TDI part is not completely finished yet I decided to move on with the camper part.
Our oldest daughter was searching for a highschool project and seemed to be interested in building it out so that put some pressure on me to get the shell in place.
Fortunately my brother was visiting from the Netherlands and was willing to lend me a hand.. snow was there and the old hyster has already issues to start in summer but we managed to get it running. The bus body from the Econoline was almost separated but of course there are always section that escaped the grinder and sawzall.

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
The next phase was moving it onto the 404. As already explained I cut the swivel subframe so that the hard point would be the the first mounts behind the cabin and the both sets on the back of the bed would become swivels.
The distance between the 404 swivel frame and the transverse crossmemembers ( am I doubling up over here) under the bus body did not match up. So we decided to move the bus body forward so that the 404 swivel frame crossmembers would directly support the us floor.. another reason being that that would lower the overall height with 2-1/2" and also match the cabin floor height with the bus body floor height.
By going more.to the front the overhand in the rear became less and the connection between cabin and bus body appears to be easier...will see about that when I get to it..
The rear wheel wells are a bit to much to the front. The wheel wells are to narrow , so the inside of the tire would rub against the bus body floor when so some creative work has to be done there.

Last pic . First test fit, body still to high...my brother right and me on the left.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Johan

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
MM77,. I am sure the family will come up with a color paint scheme. Drab green would be fine with me, but we will see.
First some welding to be done to enclose the cap and then remove the rear panel of the original cab so that it becomes an open space. Depending on interior layout several windows will be removed and skinned over.
Also the rear overhang might be shortened in case we have to much interior space.

The main plan is to make a double bed above the driver and use swivel chairs for the front seats so that it can integrate with the living space.

Johan

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
MM77,. I am sure the family will come up with a color paint scheme. Drab green would be fine with me, but we will see.
First some welding to be done to enclose the cap and then remove the rear panel of the original cab so that it becomes an open space. Depending on interior layout several windows will be removed and skinned over.
Also the rear overhang might be shortened in case we have to much interior space.

The main plan is to make a double bed above the driver and use swivel chairs for the front seats so that it can integrate with the living space.

Johan

Attachments

101 - 106 of 106 Posts