Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

· Registered
'88 gd240 / '85 240TD /87' 300TD / 88' flu419
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Lots of little odds and ends... Fuel filter. Fuel lines,. Fake some sensors and finally a try..started first turn..it runs, responds to throttle.

Next is the hydraulic clutch.. then the cab can get mounted and see how the radiator and intercooler are lining up.

I have a video of it running but do no know how to upload it.

Johan

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
Thanks gents,. I will see if it can work.. probably better to ask my daughters. Haha

To link it outside the forum often leads to broken links 2 years down the road. Oh well.

The standard VW clutch is to short , the one I had was already rusted out. The proprietary ends can rotate on the line itself, I assume an o ring with a crimp connection?

I had some NICU brakeline around it it is supposingly weldable? To reinforce the 1/4" line I first TIG welded a short piece of large NICU tube on the end and then welded that to the steel VW coupling..
Will see how it holds up...a fun exercise
anyhow.
Johan

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Installed clutch master cylinder..Designed bracket for new brake/ clutch oil that has also a low level switch.

Installed cab.
As a precaution I took the oil filter adapter of and as it turns out the hose pillars are to long and interfere with the cab.. so need two 45 degree elbows.

Had to grind a flat spot on the starter motor so that it does not to touch the cab but it is a little to tight so probably some cab modification has to happen.

One Obsolete engine stud is touching the cab but can be cut off.

Mocked up the throttle pedal.
I like to keep the original air filter housing. The oily air filter has to go with the diesel to avoid runaways. The air outlet from the existing filter matches up pretty good with the turbo inlet.

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Some struggle with the throttle pedal. Have to see if it is convenient?
Mounted the new coolant inlet and it is uncomfortable close to the clutch master bracket. So I will redo that.
Thanks to Noob with the air filter number.

I mounted parts of the old filter back in to get a better seal with the new style.. now I have to make plate for the MAF air sensor to mount properly.

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Another 1/2 day of putting around.

The modified bracket for the master clutch worked out.

The improvised stainless bottom radiator mount worked out as well..funny enough the TDI has an unused hole in the center of the timing belt cover . It will be easy to copy the 404 top radiator mount so that the radiator does not get stresses from the moving cab.

Rearranged the wires around the engine and removed the old voltage regulator and high voltage coil resistor.

Started mix and matching coolant hoses to the radiator.

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
In a separate thread on SS I made a electric steering assist.. it was time to see how it would be mounted. A test fit before the final welding would be done. After sitting in the cabin it felt that it would be more comfortable to move the seat 1-1/2" towards the door. The stuff original steering column would not have allowed that but with the u- joint that was no big deal.
This is tilt steering column. Not sure if it is handy but I did integrate it.

More routing of coolant hoses..

The air filter needs a modification.. to a larger diameter air outlet and an interface plate to the MAF sensor of the TDI.

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I made a thread about the EPAS at steel soldier. It was intended to be fitted in another 404 but then this one came without engine or steering housing.. so it worked out.

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Back to the wiring grind.. it is getting a bit of a drag... Some other issues.. one rear passenger brake line was missing... Replaced that with a 41" stock one from NAPA. The driver side is rotted so I will replace that tomorrow with a 51" line.

Bought a fancy moroso remote oil filter adapter but it is still to bulky. Decided to molest the cheap one that I used to experiment.. drilled and tapped holes on the side and made plugs for the original 1/2" NPT in and outlet. Will see if the hydraulic sealant holds up.
Should have thought about it a bit longer and make the new holes on the other side.. it would have given me more clearance with the dog house sheeting.. oh well.

Pics of before and after

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Pushing along, another 7 hours , tired and at the end of the day it seems nothing has changed much.

Hooked up the EPAS.. impressive .. one finger turns these wheels on concrete. I am happy I used a spreader plate where the load transfers to the fire wall.. it flexes.. need a spreader plate all across.

Flushed the remote oil filter adapter with brake cleaner.. hope that leftover specs of dirt and remaining hydraulic sealant are gone.. scary thought that one small dirt particle can get into the bearings.. installed on engine and connected to filter base / filter

Hooked up remaining coolant hoses...only one more to go..

Made the TDI wiring is essential separate from the unimog wiring.. so separate power and neutral directly from the battery. This 404 will be converted to 12 volt.. I will see about the wipers and heater fan.

Replaced both brakeline on the rear axle.

Tomorrow water and test run. See how much oil and coolant leaks it has.

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Machine Vehicle
Another 6 hours..wiring somewhat organized..extra idiot lights for this TDI..oil pressure, glow plug, alternator,, and computer malfunction.. would like to add low coolant/low brake fluid but have to find a spot for another hole.

Bypassed the intercooler for now.. I took a high end chrome pipe, you can see it at the engine picture from the passenger side.

First fixed a small oil leak...forgot to tighten the screws on the side of the engine that hold the PCV oil return.
Then still water leaks from the old heating radiator connections.. The hose size is not compatible enough. Hope a second hose clamp will beat it in submission. Ran out of hose clamps, so a quick run to the scrapyard.

Still to improve the radiator bracket .

Engine runs. Clutch works. Brakes need to be bled.

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Another half a day.. more wiring to straighten out.. double hose clamps on heaters and remote oil filter lines.

I had an issue with not wanting to shut off.. first measurement showed 3 volt remaining on the ignition wire going to the TDI ECM.. thought that maybe the contact switch on the 404 had some internal resistance but later realized that it only did not shutoff after the alternator light went off. Turned out that the alternator light was backfeeding the ECM ignition wire after the contact switch disconnected. Wired a diode into the alternator indicator light wire.. problem resolved.

My nice chrome turbo pipe came apart.. and with lack of turbo pressure some oil came thru the turbo shaft seal.

It is nice that these are small problems that can be easily corrected .

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
And again,yesterday... By now boring , my excuses.. more wiring.. installed teach wiring and OBD2 port. Also added the missing link from the radiator support, forgot to take a pic but similar to the original 404. Started cleaning and clearing the junk that accumulated around the Mog. One would think 1- 1/2 hour but no.. again 5 hours.
Today I hope more interesting stuff..planned for.. Brake bleeding , stuck parking brake, exhaust and removal of air lines.
The air lines seem in good shape but no use to me. Let me know if anyone needs them.

Johan

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
The brake still don't work. Pedal is sinking and no leaks... Fluid is flowing freely out of each bleed screw..what is next leaking master?

Last part of the air cleaner..temp exhaust in flex line, no muffler and drove it out of the shop.
Turbo seems to be leaking, intake is oil wet.. so some smoke..need to fix that first before I have a runaway.. and the brakes of course... Got it titled and insured so hope it is not all to bad.

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Disconnected the turbo and took a same test drive as in the vid..The smoke went away.. of course this is all low power.. the axial play in the turbo is about 1 mm so it seems good to get a rebuild..checked blowy. It seems still some sucking on the oil filler cap and that was with the PCV or ccv disconnected.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 106 Posts