Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for unimog 404 and thinking install GAZ-66 (ExUSSR truck) winch on it.
Please explain can unimog's PTO work in both directions (forward and reverse) or it works forward only?
How have-to be swiched gearbox and reverse levers when operate PTO?
What is ratio of 404 pto?

P.S.May be somebody knows where i can download operation (worshop, parts etc.) manuals for unimog 404?

Thank You :)

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
the PTO only spins in one direction ...

i dont know which way, and i dont know if the gearbox affects it in any way, but i cant see why it would ...
i dont even know if the reverse lever affects the PTO ...

heck, i dont know much, but i´m still talking alot ....

over and out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How i understand your winch has reverse gears inside?
So you can swich direction on the winch and don't need swich it from the cab?

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
My winch only has a "engaged/disengaged" lever ...

If i want to winch something i set the lever to "disengaged", pull the cable out with my own force, and attach it to something (a tree, a car or whatever). Then i set the lever to "engaged", and climb into the cab. I press the clutch down, and then i pull the lever to engage the PTO. After that its just to let go of the clutch and winch in!
And no "slipping" on the clutch, its either on OR off, you´ll burn the clutch if else.

My winch cant winch out, i dont know if thats common for mechanical winches or not ...

Gena - 5/6/2005 8:32 AM

How i understand your winch has reverse gears inside?
So you can swich direction on the winch and don't need swich it from the cab?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm... But what you do when your cable under tension and you need deattach it. In all whinches that i used (electric: warn, ramsey, mechanic: toyota, GAZ66 ) it is imposible turn "engaged/disengaged" lever when cable UNDER TENSION. You have to winch out little bit to make posible lever switching. Situation when you need deattach cable happend quite offen.
For example: You need pull your truck through long deep mud. You attch cable to the tree and start winching. Then, when your spool full of cable You need reattach cable to another tree. You truck cannot run forward by wheels because mud. Tree cannot go to truck :). So you have only one way relax cable - winch out.
I saw that situation many times on offroad trophy, when electrical winches has malfunction control. (can winch only in one direction)
So it is very important to have posibility relax tension of the cable. And it is very interesting what unimog's engineers did for it. May be you can operate with "engaged/disengaged" lever when cable under tension?

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
seems a bit strange, but i have never got myself into that situation ...

i have never tried to move the lever when the cable is under tension ...

i see your point though ..

hope someone else with more experience of the 404 winch can fill in!

Gena - 5/17/2005 10:45 AM

Hm... But what you do when your cable under tension and you need deattach it. In all whinches that i used (electric: warn, ramsey, mechanic: toyota, GAZ66 ) it is imposible turn "engaged/disengaged" lever when cable UNDER TENSION. You have to winch out little bit to make posible lever switching. Situation when you need deattach cable happend quite offen.
For example: You need pull your truck through long deep mud. You attch cable to the tree and start winching. Then, when your spool full of cable You need reattach cable to another tree. You truck cannot run forward by wheels because mud. Tree cannot go to truck :). So you have only one way relax cable - winch out.
I saw that situation many times on offroad trophy, when electrical winches has malfunction control. (can winch only in one direction)
So it is very important to have posibility relax tension of the cable. And it is very interesting what unimog's engineers did for it. May be you can operate with "engaged/disengaged" lever when cable under tension?

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
Gena - 5/17/2005 3:45 AM

Hm... But what you do when your cable under tension and you need deattach it.
yes - that is a problem with non-reversable PTO winches [:D]

May be you can operate with "engaged/disengaged" lever when cable under tension?
No...[:p]

No Mog that I know of has a reversable PTO - the PTO gearing is off the main shaft, before the gear reduction. If you need to have power-in/out, you need to find a hydraulic winch and a Mog with hydro power. I think there are some PTO winches that are reversable, but not under load.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very strange that Mercedes doesn't solve this problem.
Are you sure that gearbox reverse lever doesn't reverse PTO spin direction?

Thanks to all very much for attention.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
Gena - 5/17/2005 2:18 PM
Are you sure that gearbox reverse lever doesn't reverse PTO spin direction?
Yes. The take off gear for the PTO is on the main shaft *BEFORE* the selectable ratios. This is why you can have PTO drive with the truck in neutral.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crashmaster - 5/17/2005 4:06 PM

Declutching will release the tension in the cable.
Understand. [:(]
See unimog winch has planetary or spur train. GAZ66 winch has worm train (the same like toyota landcruiser) and declutching doesn't affect on the tension...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts