Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The odometer in my "new" 404 just quit. It worked for the first 12km or so that I drove it, and then just stopped advancing. I was able to reset the trip odometer using the knob but it still isn't turning. Any chance there is some trick to getting things engaged again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
My 404 speedo melted and rolled past the maximum speed pin while I was driving. Funny as all hell in a 404. Haven’t had one since then. That was 20yrs ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most likely the odometer. I’d replace the whole odometer/speedometer gauge and the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed it.

For anyone with the same problem:
Remove the trip reset cable (flat-head set screw in the knob, then 13mm nut on the dash)
Uncrimp the dial by using a very small screwdriver and working your way around from the back
Remove the plastic face by prying out all the way around with a screwdriver, remove the movement. This was the hardest part of the whole thing. It was quite stuck in there.
Remove the speedometer drive (remove the large nut on the back and push out the front)
Remove the odometer shaft by sliding it out toward the small brass gear
Gently crimp some teeth into it about 5mm from the end with diagonal cutters (This gave it grip inside the plastic drive gear that's to the right)
Tap the shaft back into place and test by spinning the input shaft

Reassembly is simply the reverse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts