Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
03 ML350 Inspiration
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of idle curiosity I took a peek at my rear brake pads today through the wheel spokes. Lo and behold, they were worn DRAMATICALLY unevenly - basically the outside edge of the outside brake pads on both rear wheels is worn appx 5mm more than the inside edge in a nice diagonal wear pattern.

I didn't take exact measurements or pull the wheels since I'm basically lazy so I haven't had a look at how the inner pads have worn... but you can see that the edge of the pads closest to the hub is up against the rotor (normal)and shows minimal wear while the edge of the pad closest to the tire is appx 5mm off the rotor with only 3 or so mm left on the pad before it starts grinding away metal-to-metal. Has anyone seen a similar wear pattern? My 350 currently has 17k miles on it and for the most part, I actually treat it nicely.

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,284 Posts
Yes, my 2001 ML320 had similar asymmetrical pad wear. One of my pads (and of course one w/o a sensor) was worn to the metal by 20K miles. I replaced them with Rotex Gold. I now have 55K miles and still experience asymmetrical wear, but the pads still have plenty of life left.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
03 ML350 Inspiration
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rodney - at least I know I'm not insane :) My "B" is coming up in about 2000 miles / 2 months and I'll have my SA take a real good look at why it's happening. If I get a worthwhile explanation, I'll post it for posterity!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There used to be a peoblem with the inner pads wearing quicker than the outer so we started fitting the sensors to the inside pad. The type of wear you describe is different though. i havent heard of this before. But with the way rear pads wear on an M-class anything is possible. Could have been a set of pads with a bad compound batch or something like that.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
12 Posts
Mine did the same told the dealer when I was buying the car and he said that they were still 75% good. 2000 miles later sensors were telling otherwise end up replacing them my self and changed dealerships.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts