Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I regrettably had to sell my 1992 400E. One of the many things I miss about that car were the integrated fog lights. I remember turning them on and being able to see better in fog, rain, snow, and any glaring conditions. Wonderful! I’d like to replicate that performance in my current vehicle by adding quality auxiliary lights.

Here is the problem: my memory of the “fog” lights in the Benz was that they were more like amber (maybe selective yellow?) driving lights with a dispersion pattern more like a low beam than the flat, low, wide pattern normally deemed as “fog” lights. In the world of aftermarket lights you generally have fog light models with the low flat pattern meant to be mounted low. Alternatively there are “driving lights” which are available in clear and yellow but essentially are a floodlight that is only meant for off road use.

My questions are these:

Does anyone actually know what the specs on the original yellow lights in the grille of the W124 are such as dispersion pattern and specific color? And can anyone recommend an aftermarket product with similar performance characteristics that will be safe and legal for on-road use?

I’m driving a Subaru now and I can get away with mounting rally-style lights. I just can’t seem to find something that will get me there.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Glen

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
You can buy aftermarket fog lights and mount them to your bumper. Just make sure they are "fog lights" as most places will have driving/ highway/ spot/ long distance lights. That's what the punters are buying.

Fog lights emit a wider, "low- power" beam, while driving lights emit a brighter, narrower, much longer beam of light. Mount them low (They're supposed to enable you to see the fog line (white/ yellow line on the right side of the lane) in adverse conditions.) for the best effect.

On motorcycles, where space is at a premium, it's common to mount a spot light on the left side and a fog light on the right. Obviously the combo is to enable one to see the fog line and nearside, possibly animals, etc, on the right, while the driving beam gives you the longer beam to be able to see up the road.

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
the 500E has driving lights which activate with the high beams where the fog lamps are on the other w124 models, and it has fog lamps mounted in the chin spoiler under the bumper.

nicest aftermarket fogs I've used are the Hella MicroDE, these use an H3 bulb and are projectors, you can get Hella YellowStar H3's and put them in it. I ran these on my motorcycle, and I had them on my volvo 740 wagon which didn't have any sort of aux lights from the factory, but had the wiring for them.

i never did cut them into my front bumper on the 740. that was my original plan but they worked quite well just sitting under the bumper, so here they are sticking out.

and here they are 'on', with the Yellowstar bulbs, as seen from well below the lowbeam cutoff line.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey LeftCoastGeek! Nice job with the micros. I've got to look into them. Very good looking on the Volvo.

Alas I miss my Benz.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
GlenInProv
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing