Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 1991 Mercedes 190E 2.3 (Automatic)

I recently followed the instructions for draining my automatic transmission fluid and replacing the filter; crankshaft drained, transmission filler pipe drained, transmission oil pan emptied and cleaned, transmission filter replaced.

The instructions called for me to add 4 liters of ATF fluid through the dip stick pipe then cycle thru the gears and add more accordingly. After doing so i discovered it was difficult to get a good read on the level so i turn off the car, return a couple hours later, then let the car idle and test for level. Each time the dip stick shows nothing. I've perhaps poured in about 5 liters so far.

My questions:

1. When i insert the transmission dip stick down the filler pipe is it snaking down into through the tranny filler piper (the one with the banjo bolt near the tranny oil pan) and then dipping into the oil pan for a read OR is it dipping into the crankshaft?

2. Before draining my tranny fluid as described by the service manual i check my engine oil. It was topped up well. After the transmission fluid change it appears completely empty. What happened? When draining the crankshaft did it drain all the engine oil? Why didnt the service manual state i ALSO needed to refill my engine oil?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
When you say you drained the "crank shaft", do you mean the torque converter? That holds quite a bit.
The engine oil has no way of draining into the transmission. Engine oil should be checked with engine off. Tranny is checked with the engine running.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Did you check your owners manual?

Automatic initial fill = 7.5 US qts. or 7.1 liters
Fluid change = 6.3 qts. or 6.0 liters

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say you drained the "crank shaft", do you mean the torque converter? That holds quite a bit.
The engine oil has no way of draining into the transmission. Engine oil should be checked with engine off. Tranny is checked with the engine running.
Retroscott is dead on here. DAMN.

Firstly when following the service manual it does say "turn the crankshaft until the torque converter is accessible". I ignored the torque converter part, As for the engine oil is made the mistake of checking it while it was warm not giving a chance for the oil to settle. I checked on a cold engine and it seems fine.

Thank you slk230red for the capacity.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The torque converter is the part you wanted to drain, not the crankshaft. The point of turning the crankshaft was to make the torque converter drain plug accessible..

Did you drain your engine oil? You do not need to do this to change the transmission fluid, nor should you loose any oil while draining the transmission...

·
Registered
951 Posts
I checked mine, whilst the engine was running and it was about 3/16" below the second line on the dipstick. Would this be considered normal?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It should atleast be between the two lines, if not at the top line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts