Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had the digital camera out and decided to post a few pictures to find out 'what's this?'

Just in front of the firewall: looks like some relays of some sort; what are they for?

What's the relay with the red top?

What's this item?

Here's my fuse box; what is the proper way to pull out the relays?

Where are the fuel pump and air conditioning compressor relays located?

Thanks for any anwers to the above...

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,492 Posts
First two are the Klima(climate control Relay, the other is the Fuel Pump Relay.
Third(red top)(fuse under red top)is the OVP= Over Voltage Protection relay.
Fourth is the ABS = Anti-lock Braking system.

As to the relays in the fuse box....ya got me All I know is whats on the fuse card and the long thin relay is the lighting relay. The others I don't have a clue as to what they are.

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First two are the Klima (climate control Relay, the other is the Fuel Pump Relay.
Third(red top)(fuse under red top)is the OVP= Over Voltage Protection relay.
Fourth is the ABS = Anti-lock Braking system.
Chadahar;

When you say 'first two', are you saying that one of them is the climate contral relay and the other one is the fuel pump relay?

One is part number 003 545 25 05 (climate control?) and the other one, in part, says 002 545 18 xx (fuel pump?). Too much flash bounce to read the number, but I'm trying to learn whats-what under the hood.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Klima relay says Klima on it. The other one is the fuel pump relay. The CD service manual is great for showing what all the various fuses, relays, etc are for. I suggest you get one, has helped me a great deal.

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CD service manual is great for showing what all the various fuses, relays, etc are for. I suggest you get one, has helped me a great deal.
I have the Mitchell manual on CD; can't recommend that one to anyone. I have another manual on CD coming from a seller on eBay; I think it was shipped all the way around the world a few times first, as I stilll don't have it. I have the older WIS but have never gotten it to install properly. May order another WIS version, just waiting to the last eBay manual first to see what it is...

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,114 Posts
I have the Mitchell manual on CD; can't recommend that one to anyone. I have another manual on CD coming from a seller on eBay; I think it was shipped all the way around the world a few times first, as I stilll don't have it. I have the older WIS but have never gotten it to install properly. May order another WIS version, just waiting to the last eBay manual first to see what it is...
dont know if its my place, but i just oderd a disk manual set from johnathan. as i was going through the same run around on ebay, & getting disks that were junk ect. he seems to be easy to contact, responds promply, set up to take cc, paypal ect.plus i just told hime what car i had, & suspect ill get exactly what i need. simple, no gues work or wories.works for me.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
I agree entirely with Granit; I've purchased the CD manual from Jonathan aswell and it gets the job done, a plus when you own a 420.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Richard--

I hope the relay ID thing is straightened out, but looking at your fuse box I noticed that all of your fuses are the older aluminum type (they may be new, but probably not). It is generally recommended that these type of fuses be replaced with copper ones (readily available and inexpensive on the net). The aluminum ones can corrode and cause electrical gremlins to show up, and this is the first thing to change before trying more expensive things. When I replaced my fuses, I also found a couple of them had the wrong type (too high/low amperage), so it was good to set things straight. Your fuse box should have a listing inside the top cover; if not, this is easily gotten from someone here.

Pulling relays is pretty straightforward-- just pull them, maybe working them back and forth a bit while doing so.

Good luck with the new car!

Dave

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
'...but looking at your fuse box I noticed that all of your fuses are the older aluminum type (they may be new, but probably not). It is generally recommended that these type of fuses be replaced with copper ones (readily available and inexpensive on the net). The aluminum ones can corrode and cause electrical gremlins to show up, and this is the first thing to change before trying more expensive things...'

Dave
Good eye, Dave! I had gotten all new fuses recently and changed them out today, just after taking the picture of the fuse box this morning. Might not do any good but then it can't do any harm either.

Nice license plate on your SEL, by the way... and sooner or later I'll post of few pictures of my 420. So far, I have replaced the OEM wheels with the same ones as you have with new tires, and replaced the front grille assembly, star and headlight surrounds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Greetings yall, new to this forum (was on another, got tired of being "slammed" on every post I made there :mad:) and this is my first post here :wave:. On a '91 300SE, behind the fuse box there is a silver box (marked "MAS") with a knob (don't have a pic). A while back I think I read that there is something on the car that would enable me to use a lower grade of gasoline, I am presently running high test (93) but with gas prices . . . I was wanting to run the mid-grade (89). I don't hotrod the car and most driving is highway (I live 18 miles out of town) with some in town going to work. Is this "MAS" box what I'm looking for? If so, how far around would I turn the knob?

Thanks

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
41,059 Posts
Greetings yall, new to this forum (was on another, got tired of being "slammed" on every post I made there :mad:) and this is my first post here :wave:. On a '91 300SE, behind the fuse box there is a silver box (marked "MAS") with a knob (don't have a pic). A while back I think I read that there is something on the car that would enable me to use a lower grade of gasoline, I am presently running high test (93) but with gas prices . . . I was wanting to run the mid-grade (89). I don't hotrod the car and most driving is highway (I live 18 miles out of town) with some in town going to work. Is this "MAS" box what I'm looking for? If so, how far around would I turn the knob?

Thanks
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a '91 300SE, behind the fuse box there is a silver box (marked "MAS") with a knob (don't have a pic). A while back I think I read that there is something on the car that would enable me to use a lower grade of gasoline, I am presently running high test (93) but with gas prices . . . I was wanting to run the mid-grade (89). I don't hotrod the car and most driving is highway (I live 18 miles out of town) with some in town going to work. Is this "MAS" box what I'm looking for? If so, how far around would I turn the knob?

Thanks
Interesting question, what with fuel prices being what they are, and mostly likely to get worse. Myself, I have never used anything but premium unleaded fuel (Octane 91) in both my E320 and 420SEL, and have never heard of Mercedes recommending anything less. I'll be surprised if it's acceptable to run anything less... owner's manual states conditions for using a lower octane but it's really only until you can get premium as soon as you can.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes Teutone, search was done first, didn't find anything on it. I agree with you Richard, since owning mine it has had nothing but a premium diet (don't know what the PO fed it). I was just looking for a way to save a little at the pump as a temporary measure. Again, I don't hotrod my car and a full throttle, pedal on the floor doesn't happen here (don't see the need to ;)). Once I reach highway speed I simply maintain that speed.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
If you're not laying into it (and you REALLY should from time to time w/ these cars...esp. as the mileage adds up) you'll have No problem running 87 in stock tune.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good information so far, but I'm still wondering what this is-

I'm sure if the manual-on-CD ever shows up it will answer a lot of my questions but in the mean time...

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like already said; ABS unit.

gr J
Oops! Missed that part of the answer in the first reply; went out and took a good look today with daylight and then noticed 'ABS' embossed in the black cover.

Thanks...

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you're not laying into it (and you REALLY should from time to time w/ these cars...esp. as the mileage adds up) you'll have No problem running 87 in stock tune.

Jonathan
You are SO right Jonathan about laying into it :thumbsup:, I have been known to, especially to pass someone who speeds up where they can be passed and slows down where they can't, and only twice in the five years I've had my Benz I got the 100 MPH wild hair :eek:;)(last time a couple of months ago, 128 MPH before I had to get out of it for the curve...pssst, don't tell the Cops). It's so good to know that your car CAN outrun many others with out even trying but for the most part I keep it at the speed limit +5 (my daughter says I drive like some old Grandma :rolleyes:) I just threw out the question because of the need to save a little at the pump :surrender: until my paycheck catches up with the increased prices on everything, I'd be running 89 octane instead of 93 (I don't even run the cheap stuff, 87, in my lawnmower)

·
Registered
1988 420SEL, for sale
317 Posts
I've owned a 420SEL for 5 years, and have always run mid-grade in it with no problems. Never tried regular gas.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Interesting question, what with fuel prices being what they are, and mostly likely to get worse. Myself, I have never used anything but premium unleaded fuel (Octane 91) in both my E320 and 420SEL, and have never heard of Mercedes recommending anything less. I'll be surprised if it's acceptable to run anything less... owner's manual states conditions for using a lower octane but it's really only until you can get premium as soon as you can.
Don't go any lower then premium for that E320 of yours. These W210's are pretty sensitive to the type of fuel that is run through them. Fuel for W126 was already explained.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts