Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this feels weird, haven't been active (in the forums) for quite a while, but to be honest, neither has my car, really starting to turn into a garage queen. But anyways...

I finally got to drive my car a bit last week, and the rear left tire kept rubbing on little bumps. It used to rub every once in a while (when I hit a bump in the highway at excess speed) but now it's happening all the time.

Took in to an independent mechanic and all they could offer was to go back to the stock wheels and tires. Two problems, I'd rather not, and I don't have the stock items.

So now, I need to raise my rear a bit, or stiffen it up. I only have 35k miles on the car, so I doubt that the shocks could be going. Well, what do you guys think?

TIA

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that was one option, I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Some years ago I had my car raised because of the same problem. Just got some H&R springs and rubbers from a local distributor and he did the job nicely for about AU$800 all up including wheel alignment.
Alternative is check rubber as Bazzle said and also have your guards rolled.

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sydney, nice place, can't wait to go back.

Wow, that doesn't seem too expensive actually. Was that including the parts, or just labor? My guards are already rolled, but I think the rubbing is happening on the inside corner of the tire.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
That was 2 or 3 years ago and included labour. This was on an SLK230 - don't know whether SLK32 springs are different - could be so, but shouldn't be a huge cost.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
A stiffer shock would help. Koni yellows are good but will cost about $600. As Bazzle said, you can just change your spring pads to #4. Pads are about $5 each. I can change them for you so it won't cost you anything. You would just have to drive to my house. I live in Saratoga.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
SteveL said:
A stiffer shock would help. Koni yellows are good but will cost about $600. As Bazzle said, you can just change your spring pads to #4. Pads are about $5 each. I can change them for you so it won't cost you anything. You would just have to drive to my house. I live in Saratoga.
Just swap in your standard stuff :D

Bazzle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts