Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why you can't have both UMI (universal media interface) and TeleAid as options??
I went to MBUSA and was playing with building both a new 2009 C-Class and GLK-Class and was a bit surprised that you can have either UMI or TeleAid..

I have a 2008 C300 Sport w/ TeleAid and I was scheduled to have UMI retrofitted next month at my dealer for about $1.9k..
However, if have UMI means the TeleAid features will be disabled..then I will have 2nd thoughts...

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
I would guess it is because of some conflicting parts or connections. Tele-Aid on the other hand does not seem to use more than the centre speaker and the "keep-on" signal wire towards the head unit.

Since UMI is compatible with Sound system that also has the front centre speaker, I don't see why this could be a conflict (or is it only allowing two inputs)?

I would expect the keep-on signal being open collector type. Difficult to see the restriction then, perhaps someone knows.

Should you consider retrofitting Comand if UMI does not fit to your car?

dorryjam, US owners may explain more but Tele-Aid is an emergency call system including GPS for tracking the car position. The system can alert help automatically too if it detects a serious crash (like airbags deployed) and gives the car position to the emergency centre, also allows normal voice conversation. I understand that there is also an option for less urgent help, like for technical issues with the car or even help for navigating to an unknown address. This isn't just a GPS receiver and a cellular phone because the device is quite fail safe with redundant parts (for parts that could fail in an accident).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts