Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was out late at a convenient store getting a can of tea last night after a movie. Left the store with the window down and was approaching an intersection WAY too fast in the 16v with tea in my right hand expecting to make a right hand turn. I made the turn for the most part, but the tag flew off the dash and out the window into the intersection. The car itself started to fishtail - I couldn't really compensate with only one hand. So I ended up spinning the ass end of the car around facing oncoming traffic and stalling (which there was none for 1am).

I sat there for a sec, tried to start the car, but it wouldn't even turn over. The only thing I could do was shift into neutral and roll backwards onto the shoulder still facing oncoming traffic.

At that point like two people were staring at my car outside of a bar next door. The car wouldn't start, I couldn't imagine the starter dying, thought that a battery cable might have came loose.

Instead, I stumbled out and walked several yards to grab the tag, got back in and sat for a few minutes thinking what I could do without a cellphone or without embarrassing myself further by going into the bar.

Going into the bar was the only option, however by that time some cop crossed the center divider and into the shoulder behind me.

bot (in car, cop in his): christ, how do I explain this
cop (now at my window): hey, how are you doing tonight?
bot: pretty good. My car won't start
cop: how much have you had to drink tonight?
bot: Nothin, just a tea
cop: where you coming from?
bot: the mall, just watched a movie with a friend
cop: and where you headed to?
bot: home
cop: where's home?
bot: (-street here-)
cop: so did you have anything to drink tonight?
bot: no, I don't drink
cop: can I ask why you're on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic? Did you spin out?
bot: uh, sorta. Not really. Kind of turned around
cop: but you didn't lose control or spin out?
bot: um...in a way, but I kind of like turned around
cop: ok, what I need you to do is come back to the back of the vehicle with me
bot: ok

This cop had me do a field sobriety test with a pen. I passed, told him the car wouldn't start. So he walkied dispatch to call a tow and left.

But before the tow arrived, I realized my car wouldn't start because the shifter was in drive. I managed to start the car and quickly got out of there before any other cops showed up.

Crazy night. No ticket either! And luckily it was the day I actually got historic tags for the car, I've been using tags illegally from my Civic. Haha

Please hold derogatory smart ass comments btw

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
pshhh automatic

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
damn thats funnie.....car was in D......

·
Registered
193 Posts
LOL damn neutral saftey switch....

Why did it stall though?

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stalled because of low compression, but it still drives ok. No it's not fixed, I'm seriously considering selling the car unfortunately. The body and everything else is great, just that engine. I don't have the time or patience. If a crate motor was available I would do that in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
911 Posts
What was the movie?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts