Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of economical replacement tires for my 18'' rims. Current size is 225/40/18.
At this point, I am looking for comfort and quiet over ultimate stickyness and performance.

Looking at the reviews in tirerack.com, the noise and comfort levels ratings on some Ultra High Performance tires such as the top rated Avon Tech M550 or the Kumho ECSTA SPT are better than the ratings on the top Grand Touring tires such as the Kumho ECSTA KH11. Seems strange as I thought touring tires were designed for low road noise and comfortable ride. Can I assume that I should get the UHP Avon's over the grand touring Kumho KH11 in this case?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1984 MB 380SL
46 Posts
I've been considering Kuhmos for my 1984 380SL convertible. I plan on only driving her only on fair weather days during the spring, summer and fall, ~2000 miles. But I'm not sure which way to go, performance tire or grand touring.

At first, I considered Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's but they are quite expensive, considering the good reviews for the Kuhmos and their low prices. Also, I took consideration on my driving style (normally average, but at times spirited) and the miles I plan on putting on them.

Now, I need to pick a specific tire from Kuhmo. I've narrowed my choice to the Solus KH16 and the ECSTA KH11. Any suggestions of experiences about these tires.

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
I think a lot of high preformance tires outpreform all-season's on all driving variables, including ride and comfort. It is when you go to 20+" wheels and tires that you may notice a slightly less comfortable ride. As long as you stay w/ OEM 18" the UHPs are probably the way to go, but you will probably have to pay more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actualy, the UHP tires (Avon Tech 550) are priced the same as the grand touring tires (Kumho KH11). I think I might just go with the more economical UHP Kumho SPT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts