Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E200 KOMPRESSOR (210.045, M111.947)
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I prepared a PDF document explaining the evaporator temperature sensor repair steps with some pictures including the diagnose & clearing error codes. All job could be completed within half an hour and very easy after obtaining the correct component. No need for a special equipment other than a soldering iron.

Sorry for possible grammatical errors that may exist on the document.

Stop paying tens of dollars to stealers for a $2 part in real :)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
1. Temp Evap Sensor is $37 on autohausaz.com, not $100 as pdf says.
2. My car's AC went kaput while on LA freeway in summer heat 2 years ago. It was the evap sensor. Therefore if you "fix" the sensor as told, I think it's not fully tested until your car's AC runs all summer. Guessing, matching the OEM specs can bring risk. What if the AC goes on switching on/off like crazy or some unforeseeable thing occurs?
3. Replacing the sensor requires removal of some under dash panels, it;'s not simple task. I really hate to spend the labor to take a sensor out, put another one in when one does not work.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
That is a great repair! Thanks for the effort!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for all your positive comments.

@mbvis
sorry, but in last paragraph, i mentioned the price of the sensor here in Turkey, you cannot buy the sensor even from junkyards as a used at that price ($37) here. I'm not forcing anybody to repair their sensors, they may want to spend $200 for it too, it's their decision. I just wanted to share my experience and complete success on sensor repair. There is nothing beyond it.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
This is great as the DIY window tracks. Saves $40.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Thank you very much for all your positive comments.

@mbvis
sorry, but in last paragraph, i mentioned the price of the sensor here in Turkey, you cannot buy the sensor even from junkyards as a used at that price ($37) here. I'm not forcing anybody to repair their sensors, they may want to spend $200 for it too, it's their decision. I just wanted to share my experience and complete success on sensor repair. There is nothing beyond it.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be negative. It's just my own concern about the trade-off between time/labor to remove/replace a part and the saving of $30.
I bought stuff from autohausaz (Arizona, USA), over $50 purchase, shipping is free, I noticed that when entering shipping address, I could see a lot of countries in their pull down A-Z list, from Albania, Algeria, ..., France, ..., Tunisia, Turkey, ..., to Tahiti, ..., to Uganda, ..., to Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Try to see if you can order on autohausaz.com from Turkey. Select your car model, just add to cart a random item or the ETSensor, on the check out, enter your address to see if their system takes it with some shipping charge. Add some more stuff to go over $50 to see if they also waive shipping charge for foreigner.
You don't have to complete the purchase to test the above.
For other more critical part like the crank shaft position sensor, autohausaz sells it for $43. On eBay, some shop sells it for $11. Which should I choose?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand you, but unfortunately international shipping fees of autohaus are extremely expensive to Turkey. I did try to order a rear window regulator repair part (the green stuff) few months ago but the shipping fee was 5x of the actual price of the part.

Few minutes ago, i tried to order evap temp sensor to see the shipping price. For one sensor ($37) the cheapest shipping fee was $57, which makes the part as expensive as the dealer's price here. Then i add one more sensor to pass $50, but then shipping is increased to $65.

I don't like to use low quality cheap parts anywhere on my car too. There is nothing expensive than cheap low quality stuff. But the sensor element (NTC) that i replaced is made by Vishay which is the world's one of the biggest semiconductor and passive components producer, and i trust their goods as much as benz oem parts (and sometimes even more, since due to the cost savings or other reasons car manufacturers may use unreliable/lower quality items time to time) For example, almost all temperature sensors in our cars are NTC type thermistor but only evap sensor fails due to the possible quality problem (redesign on the part proves this too) But if i had a chance to buy it cheaply like you, i could think to buy the whole part as oem.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Whoah, I didn't know the shipping charge to outside US is that much at 5x the price of the item. Perhaps someone that you trust in the US can buy it for you with free shipping then without opening the box, he/she places your address address label on it, pay the shipping charge, shipp from US to you. You two work out how to pay each other.
So far, no one had any doubt about your fix being excellent as described. If you can also figure out the fix for the tiny Mass Air Flow sensor, I think the W210 world will praise you.
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
TIA

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,960 Posts
Whoah, I didn't know the shipping charge to outside US is that much at 5x the price of the item.
Even to Canada, Autohaus's shipping costs are out to lunch. And when I am in USA during winter, they won't ship to me because my address is different from one on Credit card!

I gave up on them.

PDData - Thanks for the great write-up. I have pdf saved in my W210 tech data.

Now, if someone could tell me how to fix my Apparatus case mini-blower I would be happy.

I ordered one from Germany, no acknowledgement from mercedes-benz-daimler-shop , no reply to request for tracking number, they don't reply to me emails :( Have to set Paypal onto them.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Could you not just buy one somewhere in Canada? Sorry to hear about the trouble but international shipping takes a long time. Your part might still be on a ship somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
Could you not just buy one somewhere in Canada? Sorry to hear about the trouble but international shipping takes a long time. Your part might still be on a ship somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. Good luck.
I need to check my cost of a replacement sensor. It seems mine is bad. Probably go to the Turkish repair! Can't see any slight difference in spec being as bad as one that is reading 10C too high!

On my car, with everything cool after sitting all night, most temperatures were 25C +/- 1C. Car interior temp was high - caused by door being open and light coming on in same area as sensor. No problem there.

But, the Evaporator Temp was reading 35C. It does respond when A/C is on as I have seen it down at about 25C at times.

Looking for the sensors, I went to Digikey because I have an account there. But they don't have the exact part the OP used. This is what came up (need to enter 2.7kohm)
http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/thermistors-ntc/1966148

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With properly working A/C system (i mean charge level is OK and system parts are in their spec) the main purpose of the sensor is to keep evaporator temperature as low as possible (depending on temperature setting) but without causing freeze/icing on evaporator. So the system tries to keep evaporator temperature around 3-4 C in maximum cooling mode without causing icing by using a feedback from evaporator temp sensor.

With a malfunctioning evap temp sensor, A/C system will operate but not according to the specs. Additionally, freezed evaporator causes reduction in cooling capacity gradually due to the ice buildup. It will reduce air flow between evaporator fins by blocking them.

Another unofficial purpose of this sensor is you can verify A/C charge level by checking this temperature. With low charge, evaporator temperature will not reach down to 4C in maximum cooling mode. And it is very useful when toping-off the refrigerant if you have a slow leak causing the loss around 1/4 of the charge or less in a year.

I think you can order the correct part from there, take a look: NTCLE203E3272FB0 Vishay BC Components | BC2728-ND | DigiKey

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I think you can order the correct part from there, take a look: NTCLE203E3272FB0 Vishay BC Components | BC2728-ND | DigiKey
My sensor is much like yours was - stuck on about 35C. WIS says it happens because of moisture penetration. Hopefully those Digikey thermistors are waterproofed!

Freight on 5 thermistors is $20.00. So about $25.00. I found that URO make a replacement sensor. Some of their stuff is not that good, but in reality I would just be buying a thermistor that they have sourced somewhere. Cost is C$29.95 + $12.45 from Bimmer.ca (now Mercedes Benz parts Canada and Mercedes Benz OEM auto parts online Canada). Behr unit is $62.99 + $12.45 and dealer probably close to $100! Some on-line stores have another make - ACM, for under $50.00.

Will order one way or other this evening.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The Uro is s shh*t part - and most of this "tech" discussion on the evap sensor is more than a bit offbase... in normal cases when the avap sensor goes bad it becomes inconsistent on readings, and that is what turns off the compressor.. "rest" value of the sensor is 25-35 C represents the circuit value of the sensor at "rest" with ignition/system off...its the reading of the sensor after the system has been in operation 10-15 min that is the real deal ..... this whole discussion is a bit whacked on a $50 part (Turkey politely excepted).. when evap sensor shows crazy during operation thats when the system shuts off the compressor.. and none of that has shon on MBG's issue from his other posts..

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
PCDATA,
I ordered the thermistors this evening. Just wanted to let you know that your post and pdf was a great help to me! I am also getting 5 - if they don't last, at least we have spares and the fix is simple enough. Digikey has a flat rate of $8.00 for shipping in Canada, so it worked out well.

My existing sensor measured 1770 ohms at 25C. Looking at chart in your pdf, that corresponds to 35C which is about what the CC displayed before running engine in morning. Similar but not consistent discrepancies at other temperatures.

PS: I may have bought the URO sensor for $29.95 seeing all it is is a piece of plastic with likely the same thermistor as others. But delivery for it and the Behr unit was about 10 days against a day or two for the thermistors.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts