Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560SL 50K
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the “Ultimate SL Stereo” sold by Performance. The new package shelf with woofers dropped right in. Front speakers are easy once you see how the cover is fixed. Sounds great! (not amazing but I’m satisfied - BTW - head unit is a Panasonic and not a Becker). With the seats in place it really looks stock.

Kit consists of two Clarion 4” SRR1016 speakers to replace the fronts and a very well built package (and quite heavy) shelf replacement with two 8” woofers ported though vents in the front lip of the shelf. Only seen difference from stock is the shelf is about 2” thicker with speaker vents on the lip. You’d miss it if you where not looking for it. The only thing I would have done different is cover the vents with a speaker fabric the color of the carpet but an easy project for the future. I'm sure the carpet used on the new shelf is correct and any difference seen is a bit of fading of the original.

The down side – it is expensive and all you get is new front speakers and the replacement package shelf with the woofers…. but if your wallet is thick and a stock appearance is important to you it is the best solution I’ve seen.

Some hints on removing stuff. I did find removing the package shelf was a snap by slipping a thin screwdriver or such about 2” from each side to push back the clips. The front speaker covers come out after removing the (barely) visible small screws and gently pulling down to release the retaining clips. Refer to the pics.

Since I really did not see any details on BW on this product – here you go!

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
So the front has speakers, but the back has only subs? How does that sound?

·
Registered
1988 560SL 50K
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear speakers are woofers rather than subwoofers so between them and the upgraded front speakers it works better than I would have thought. It is at least as good as the pair of boxed 6x9’s the previous owner had tastelessly Velcro’d down that this replaced.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,166 Posts
Speaker covers came off easily enough, but getting them back is not so easy - They ride up on edge of opening and springs don't want to catch on bracket. Any tips? After lunch will have another shot at them!

I thought that bottom brown fiber piece was under the speaker. Should it be on outside as shown? Maybe that is my problem?

The front speaker covers come out after removing the (barely) visible small screws and gently pulling down to release the retaining clips. Refer to the pics.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
Speaker covers came off easily enough, but getting them back is not so easy - They ride up on edge of opening and springs don't want to catch on bracket. Any tips? After lunch will have another shot at them!

I thought that bottom brown fiber piece was under the speaker. Should it be on outside as shown? Maybe that is my problem?
Graham, I remember a thread a few months ago that discussed tricks for reinstalling the speaker grilles.
Perhaps a search will help you.

·
Premium Member
10,166 Posts
If in doubt....get the hammer out.
I don't think a hammer would do it.:rolleyes:

I finally got them back in place, but I don't really know how. It should not be that difficult, but they just don't want to "catch" or fit back in place properly.

Dugald, I did do a search, and found this one. But it doesn't say anything about getting them back once removed.

Actually, the passenger side went back fairly easily, but the drivers side did not. The bracket on the driver's side is not symmetrical - one side sticks out more than the other, but it is not clear why. It fell off, so I had to try it both ways.

I must have spent 3 hours on just the driver's side, and it does not now fit as well as it did before.

Maybe there is a mod we could come up for for this? Or has no one else had this problem?

I was going to install new speakers once I measured the size, but I don't think I want to take those grills out again! BTW, despite what I have read here, the speakers are 4", not 3-1/2" - Canadian Tire have some that should fit by Sony & Pioneer, I think - about $50-$60.

The vinyl covering has a few cracks - anyone know if it is possible to buy new covers that have the slots molded in?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
I
Dugald, I did do a search, and found this one. But it doesn't say anything about getting them back once removed.
I distinctly remember another thread discussing how to use a thin piece of plastic or somesuch to help the catches stay open while the grilles were refitted.
I know Scott was involved ,,,,, maybe he will chip in.

·
Premium Member
10,166 Posts
I distinctly remember another thread discussing how to use a thin piece of plastic or somesuch to help the catches stay open while the grilles were refitted.
I know Scott was involved ,,,,, maybe he will chip in.
OK Thanks - That does make sense and I did end up putting the cover back at an angle so one would catch and then used a screwdriver to lever the other one into place.

I will have another look, but if that fails, hopefully Scott will point me to it.

- back to trying to remove 36 year old carpet!

·
Registered
1995 325IC and 1986 560SL
250 Posts
Just installed the “Ultimate SL Stereo” sold by
Some hints on removing stuff. I did find removing the package shelf was a snap by slipping a thin screwdriver or such about 2” from each side to push back the clips. The front speaker covers come out after removing the (barely) visible small screws and gently pulling down to release the retaining clips. Refer to the pics.

Since I really did not see any details on BW on this product – here you go!
Since your speaker installation is way ahead of what I was doing.

Let me ask you two questions:

Last weekend I try to took the front speaker cover off (Driver side). I noticed two little and long screws located on the bottom of the speaker covers.

Question 1: I can took one on the right side but I can not took the left side off, It turns when I turn the screwdriver but It does not want to come out. I wonder why?

Question 2. The two pieces of metal comes out, these showed on your panel picture it
seem to lock the panel to speaker front package. I coud not know how to attact it back to the panel. Any idea?

Thanks

:surrender:

·
Premium Member
10,166 Posts
Question 1: I can took one on the right side but I can not took the left side off, It turns when I turn the screwdriver but It does not want to come out. I wonder why?
Hole must be stripped - try to loosen it a bit, then grip it with your fingernails or some type of tweezers and turn it while pulling on it - it will come out - it just screws into the fiber of the dash

Question 2. The two pieces of metal comes out, these showed on your panel picture it
seem to lock the panel to speaker front package. I coud not know how to attact it back to the panel. Any idea?
That is the problem I am having - I think you need some type of "self-made" tool (to use MB term for it :)) to spring the clips out so they will catch. You need to locate the top of the grille just above the plate that the clips go onto, push in and up at same time - On passenger side it worked this way, but not on the driver side. I levered the clips with a screwdriver, but not a good way to do it. Hoping someone has come up with a better way before I take them off again!

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I levered the clips with a screwdriver, but not a good way to do it. Hoping someone has come up with a better way before I take them off again!
I used a very thin 6" engineering ruler. Slid it under the clamps and it held them out enough to grab the bar on the dash. When the clips had caught I used a pair of needlenose pliers to pull it out the side, then finished pushing the speaker panel into place and put the screws back in.

·
Registered
1976 450 SL
1,210 Posts
I have yet to find a set of speakers to fit in the dash that didn't have the huge tweeter cone protruding into the bracket /cover area,,,

·
Premium Member
10,166 Posts
I have yet to find a set of speakers to fit in the dash that didn't have the huge tweeter cone protruding into the bracket /cover area,,,
Does that get in the way of the cover?

I did find some that were pretty well flush on the front, much like the originals. They also had 4 mounting holes in exact locations. But, magnet at rear was larger and I would have to buy them to check if that would be a problem on the driver side where the beam is that interferes.

Can't recall which ones I thought would work - Canadian tire had 3 types. One was by Sony and that might have been it:

Sony 4-in. 2-Way Speakers - Canoe Shopping

Dimensions here:

http://www.xplodsony.com/files/manuals/XS-W4021_Owners_Manual.pdf

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Um, that's the Army Corp of Engineers. I'm more
209084main_oco-516.jpg
hubble-space-telescope-001.jpg
lg_jwst_emblem_2004.gif

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,322 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts