Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother had some trouble with his insurers after he had an accident because he had fitted tinted windows.

He advised me to check all my mods were covered by my insurers.

At the time of taking out my policy I was told ALL factory fitted options are NOT classed as mods and are covered under the value of the car.

During my phone call, after explaining I had put the FACTORY MB SUPPLIED AMG kit on my car, I was informed my policy would immediately be terminated in 7 days as they do not cover body kits!!!

I immediately threatened legal action and compensation as this was not what I was lead to believe when I took the policy out. To cut a long story shory, they have now agreed to insure me for an extra £300 which I accepted as I dont have time to start hunting for a new policy again.

So be warned, make sure your mods are covered before you fit them

[xx(][xx(]

·
Registered
R171 200 AMG Kit
117 Posts
I will be sure to take that to mind, I am about to change the alloys over. I dont know if there would be a big deal if I were to tell the insurer. as they are mb alloys optional.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Most mods are not covered by the insurance company (some don't even cover your air freshners!!).

The UK sadly is filled with morons who over modify their cars and make fraudulant claims so insurers have clamped down on modded cars. I recall when I modded my VR6 i had the insurance guy come over and check my car,... funny thing was that when he did an evaluation and actually met me he must have realised that i wasn't the average driver or something because my premium went from about 1000GBP per year to nearly 600.

Nowdays i don't think they would even waste their time.

As is your case, a friend had fit alloys to his fiat and when someone mashed his (parked) ride in the early hours the insurance refused to pay since he had not informed them of the changes he had made.

UK insurers,... gotta love em!

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
What's the problem with telling the insurance company about mods? They may make the car more attractive to thieves, which alters the original basis of the premium calculation. The majority of insurers do not care much about cosmetic options and will not load the premium, but they do expect to be told about them. Factory fitted options are always included in the insurance as part of the value of the car. If they are fitted after delivery, even by a dealer, that is where the grey area begins. Generally I would expect most insurers to leave the premium unchanged, unless the mods increase performance.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
And I discovered that if your car becomes a write-off, UK insurance will only cover for the cost of the car at the time of the claim - not for the original cost of the car!?!?1?!?! [:0]

I really should learn to read the small print!!! [:I]

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Anthony100 - 3/31/2005 5:30 AM

My brother had some trouble with his insurers after he had an accident because he had fitted tinted windows.

At the time of taking out my policy I was told ALL factory fitted options are NOT classed as mods and are covered under the value of the car.

During my phone call, after explaining I had put the FACTORY MB SUPPLIED AMG kit on my car, I was informed my policy would immediately be terminated in 7 days as they do not cover body kits!!!

I immediately threatened legal action and compensation as this was not what I was lead to believe when I took the policy out. To cut a long story shory, they have now agreed to insure me for an extra £300 which I accepted as I dont have time to start hunting for a new policy again.

[xx(][xx(]
My policy has what is called a DUTY OF DISCLOSURE which means I can insure ANYTHING I like so long as I present an invoice and declare the item and what it is. The value and premiun is thus noted thereafter.

Where you got into bother was trying to salvage the truth something after the fact and trying to beat a bureaucrat with logic. No small task I can assure you.

In one of Australias most infamous insurance companies the staff were paid a bonus as a direct percentage of what they managed to avoid paying for.

It still goes on today but the monster in question died several years ago.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
beverage - 4/1/2005 10:01 AM

And I discovered that if your car becomes a write-off, UK insurance will only cover for the cost of the car at the time of the claim - not for the original cost of the car!?!?1?!?! [:0]

That depends on the policy. A lot of policies will pay for a new car within the first 12 months, then the market value thereafter. There's a lot more to choosing an insurance policy than who offers the lowest premium.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
steve-p - 4/1/2005 7:48 AM

beverage - 4/1/2005 10:01 AM

That depends on the policy. A lot of policies will pay for a new car within the first 12 months, then the market value thereafter. There's a lot more to choosing an insurance policy than who offers the lowest premium.
My policy is agreed value. It only come to market value if it isnt a write-off. Some people dont like to drive a car that has been fixed. So they sell the damaged car to a salvage company. Its like throwing gold coins into the ocean.

·
Registered
1988 280GE
149 Posts
Anthony100 - 3/31/2005 5:30 AM

[xx(][xx(]

Anthony,

Thanks for the heads-up. What happened to your brother in the end with tinted windows? Did they insure him? Mine is tinted and am little worried now...

cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts