Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did you guys in the uk have to wait for your SLK?
My waiting time for delivey seems to be getting longer and longer every day. It was initially 6-8 weeks and it's now 10 to 12 weeks.....
Would picking up the car in Germany reduce my waiting time?
Thanks

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Wimbledon_SLK - 5/7/2005 6:05 PM

..... Would picking up the car in Germany reduce my waiting time?
Thanks
as I've already posted, where my office is, is also a secure area for new cars - when I ordered my car, I thought as soon as it arived in the UK, my 'stealer' would let me know. Could you imagine how I'd feel if my car was due for delivery in a few weeks time, but every morning I'd drive past it. Picked it up from Bremen -good couple of days out, and only 3 (yes three[:)]) miles on the clock when you get it. ... Also, mine was due for diliverymid December, but, when I changed it to Bremen pickup, it suddenly went to mid N

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wolly!
I will think about picking it up in Germany then.
Do they pay for travel expenses?
What do you do about registration and road tax, insurance etc?
What was the experience of other drivers who collected their SLK in germany?
Thanks

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
Ask your dealer for a "Personal Collection" brochure. For the same price as UK delivery, you get a business class flight to Bremen, one night in a hotel in Bremen, factory tour if you want it, five days Europe-wide insurance and a Eurotunnel ticket. You have to pay for any additional hotel nights or passengers, and obviously fuel. No road tax is necessary because you are technically delivering the car, so it's on German trade plates. When you get back to the UK, the car goes to the dealer for a short time while it is PDI'd, valeted and UK registered. I'm collecting mine from Bremen in July, and to answer your other question I ordered it a year ago. However the AMG waiting list is probably longer.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Wimbledon_SLK - 5/7/2005 6:34 PM

Thanks Wolly!
I will think about picking it up in Germany then.
Do they pay for travel expenses?
What do you do about registration and road tax, insurance etc?

Thanks
When you buy a new MB in the UK you pay about 4-500 sheets (about $800) for delivery. If you do this, when your cars ready, you go down to the dealer, pay the balance, and take awy your car with a full tank of fuel, valet etc. ... or, .. for the same price, MB will fly you out to Bremen, put you up in a hotel overnight, give you a tour of the factory(which is extreeeeemly excellent) and give you a Chunnel/ferry ticket back to the UK. You then have up to 5 days on temporary Bremen plates, then, you take it in to the dealer, they then do a full PDI, a full valet and top the tank up. I ordered my 350 in July 2004, was quoted delivery for mid-Dec 2004 but actually collected it in mid Nov 2004.

If you get the chance ,pick it up from Bremen well, well worth the experience, and I think, you'll probably get it about 4 weeks earlier.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
steve-p - 5/7/2005 6:50 PM

You have to pay for any fuel.
You actually get 2 'free' tanks of fuel - one from Bremen and one from your dealer when you finally take it back for the PDI.

BTW MB Personal Collection in Milton Keynes are very flexible on your port of departure/arrival - I flew from Teesside, and got the ferry back from Imjuiden to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, at no extra cost.

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

Sounds like picking up the car in Germany is a good move. I will certainly look into that.
Cant wait to post my pics!!!
[:)][:)][:)]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Wimbledon_SLK - 5/8/2005 8:41 PM

Thanks !!
..... I was more ... hoping I could borrow your cars.. ahahhahahah [:D]
... depends what you're offering for swapsies[:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Wimbledon_SLK - 5/7/2005 4:09 PM

I have a frindly girlfriend (shhhh she does not know I am swapping her for an SLK)......
[:D][:D][:D]
Yeah that could be organised [:D][:D]
You might want to tell her though... [B)][xx(]

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry... mate... I did try.... I have just been punched in the face and elsewhere....
and I am nto even joking!
ahahahahahhaahh
Cant wait to post my pics... now very tempted to go to Bremen...
Thanks

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
I placed my order back on 1st September 2004, and was quoted a June 2005 Build.

I have opted for the Bremen pick-up, just from what I have read on here, and the fact that aside from a few nights in a hotel it is all paid for!!!

When you place your order for your car, you need to indicate to your dealer that you wish to do a Personal Collection - I was that paranoid I wrote a letter as well as verbally telling them!!!

In March I got a letter from MB Personal Collection saying I had a provosional build complete date of 31st May, and I had to provide them with provisional travel dates, hotel choice, pick-up date, and return option.

And on Monday 9th May, I got a phone call off them to say that MB had been in touch and my car is built and ready for collection. They gave me the option to pick it up earlier than I had indicated (6th June). But due to prior commitments I've had to stick with the 6th June. [:(]

My advice is totally go for it - it's gonna be such a great experience, and a really cool way of running the car in!!!! [8D]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
beverage - 5/13/2005 8:01 AM

it's gonna be such a great experience, and a really cool way of running the car in!!!! [8D]
On my way back from Bremen I used cruise control quite a lot and was on Motorways mostly, which was probably a bad idea for running in because you are meant to vary your revs. Didnt think about it at the time, but might be worth remembering for your running in period.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
joyfulheart - 5/13/2005 1:21 PM

beverage - 5/13/2005 8:01 AM

it's gonna be such a great experience, and a really cool way of running the car in!!!! [8D]
On my way back from Bremen I used cruise control quite a lot and was on Motorways mostly, which was probably a bad idea for running in because you are meant to vary your revs. Didnt think about it at the time, but might be worth remembering for your running in period.
Good point, I'll keep that in mind when I'm driving back. [:D]

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know I will regret it.... but unfortunately......work committments.... I understand it is not possible to do the pick up at the weekend is it? It would be good if one could fly out on a Friday and come back Saturday/Sunday. Hoo well..... cant wait to see your pick up pics guys.

p

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done!
I followed your advise! I called my stealer and made arangements to pick the monster up from Bremen, middle of next month!
Expect loads of pics!!!
Thanks

P

1 - 20 of 65 Posts