Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been to my dealership this morning, to see what my current R170 SLK's value is - I think I may just cry [:(] [V]

Last September they would give me a trade-in price of £18 000 but with my new car being nearly 12 months away they couldn't hold that price.

So for my car's spec:

SLK 200
Registered March 2001 (Y Reg)
Manual
Just under 30 000 miles
Metallic Silver
Black Leather Interior
10 Disc CD Changer
6 Spoke Alloy Wheels (Non-Standard)
AMG Boot Spoiler
Full Service History
Two Careful Lady Owners - ahem [8)] [;)]

Currently similar spec cars cost £18 000 - £18 500. Dealer will offer me £13 000 - and apparently that's them being generous!?!?!?!?!? [:0] [:(!] Can't believe they add on a £5 000 mark-up price - actually I really shouldn't be all that surprised ... [:(!]

So am not too happy today - I was hoping for £15 000 for it (maybe being optomistic, but hey!!!)

I'm curious to know if there are any other UK bodies who have traded in a similar spec/age car and what trade in price they got??

Cheers!!! [:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
As I am likely to be trading in my car soon also, I just bought a Parker's car price guide. This suggests that a 2001 SLK 200K auto with 30k miles would be worth £13785 as a trade-in, but that there is a blanket statement across all of the SLK data that manuals are worth £1000-£1500 less.

So it looks like £13k is not an outrageous offer, but not generous either. Dealer price for such a car (auto) is supposed to be £16850 (deal price), implying a dealer mark-up of around £3000. Perhaps the sticker price would be £1000 more. Again, presumably a manual should come out a bit lower.

Unfortunately, spec options seem to have little impact on used car pricing. (So much for the optional air-con, HK hi-fi, CD changer on my Z3[:(])

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Sell it privately. It doesnt sound like you are getting a good deal, even though the price will have been hit by the R171.
Dealers offer good prices to entice customers. If your dealer is like mine was he doesnt make any effort in the enticing department because he knows he can shift the R171. So he will offer you a price for your R170 that will make him a comfy profit. Why pay him again?????
Sorry if this is patronising but selling a good condition car privately should not be that difficult.

According to parkers you should get £14400 for good condition model. And according to the same source their part ex offer is on the money.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_car/valuation.aspx?deriv=18502&model=512&plate=66&pay=false&buyorsell=sell

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glass's stated that I should be looking at £13 500 - £14 000.

So £13 000 was a bit lower than I wanted.

And then to top it off, when I was told the price I said oh I'll have to go and have a think about it.

Several days later I get a voice mail message on my mobile, saying that that is the final price they will offer me, and if I want more I should sell it privately!!!! [:(!]

They're just not interested in helping the customer out, or even trying to keep the business.

So have decided to sell it at the local auction. Cause don't want the hassle of selling it privately, and have been to a couple of other dealers but they're just not able to take the car off my hands at the moment.

I'm really disappointed by it all. [:(]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts