Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it possible to play DVD's from the comand unit whilst stationary in a UK R500?

It has the rear dual screen entertainment system - but if I put a DVD in the comand system it just saya 'no video' ; the car does not have a tv tuner.

Also, is it possible to retrofit a tv tuner?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2007 R350
284 Posts
Nup, it's a different system on the R-class from the SL where COMAND can play DVD's. From what I've been told, you have to get a DVD player to plug in.
I mailed [email protected] and was told:-
"you will need an additional aftermarket device that gets mounted in between the TV tuner and DVD comand. This device will enable TV while in motion, because the DVD comands in the R-class (and W164 M-class, and facelifted W203s, W209s, A and B-classes) can NOT play movie DVDs by itself and can NOT be versioncoded through stardiagnose for TV / DVD while in motion. The DVD comands in these MB models can't be compared to the ones that are being installed in your facelifted SL (or the W211, W219, R171 for instance) that all have a SEPARATE navigation drive that can be installed in the boot.

The aftermarket device for TV / DVD while in motion can be offered for Euro 200 including shipment per International Priority Post and including 19% Dutch VAT."

You could try mailing Steve for more info, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bobby,

Thank you very muvh for the info. I'll email Steve and buy one of the 'dongle's' - I'll report back to the forum once I've done the install.

Best Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2007 R350
284 Posts
Hi Alan,

No problem. Let us know how it goes. Never did get round to getting Video in motion for the SL but maybe for the R.

Bobby

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tv tuner and rear headrest system

Does anyone on this forum have oth the rear seat entertainment system and a tv tuner installed on a euro spec R class?

If so - do you know where the tv tuner unit is installed and possibly the model number?

Thanks,

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts