Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SLK200 - Here! ;-)
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read alot of USA posts refering to 'Option Packages', I suppose these are groups of options at a slightly reduced rate... [:)]

Does anyone know if any of these packages are available to us UK customers? If so, any idea of order codes [?]

Just trying to get the cost of all my options down [:D]

Thanks

Darren

·
Registered
SLK200 - Here! ;-)
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I thought, another way for MB to fleece us of more money in the UK [:(!]

Darren

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I don't think the purpose of the packages is to save the customer money but rather to obligate him to take a few items he may not actually want in order to get the one that he does want.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Duo-Art - 5/17/2005 4:43 PM

I don't think the purpose of the packages is to save the customer money but rather to obligate him to take a few items he may not actually want in order to get the one that he does want.
Spot on duo-art inventive selling, with every 2 items you really want add one thats not going to sell. What would be good is buy 4 items get one free.

gary

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
homealone - 5/18/2005 10:40 AM
What would be good is buy 4 items get one free.
gary
Free? I don't think that word is in the Mercedes-Benz dictionary somehow. What is hard to stomach is that some optional items such as rain sensing wipers, folding mirrors, auto-dipping mirrors etc are all standard equipment in other cheaper MB models compared to say the 350 or 55.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
When ever my wife asks why someone charges so much for something, my reply is always "because they can". This applies to M/B when it comes to all kinds of pricing.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Duo-Art - 5/18/2005 6:08 AM

When ever my wife asks why someone charges so much for something, my reply is always "because they can". This applies to M/B when it comes to all kinds of pricing.
I once read an article on car pricing in the U.K. which said that the specific sales price of a car is set by the manufacturer based on what they anticipate buyers are willing to pay. They try to determine a limit, beyond which customers will back off (buying) and refuse to buy the car. The price of cars in the U.K. has absolutely nothing to do with manufacturing costs vs profit margin vs taxes, etc. It is all to do with how much they can fleece the general public.

Car prices in the U.S. are set along the same lines, except that foreign manufacturers have much greater competition with the big American car makers, which keeps pricing much lower than most every other country.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Essellkay350 - 5/18/2005 4:22 PM

I once read an article on car pricing in the U.K. which said that the specific sales price of a car is set by the manufacturer based on what they anticipate buyers are willing to pay. They try to determine a limit, beyond which customers will back off (buying) and refuse to buy the car. The price of cars in the U.K. has absolutely nothing to do with manufacturing costs vs profit margin vs taxes, etc. It is all to do with how much they can fleece the general public.
I paid about £43,000 for my 350 SLK in the UK, with a few toys. About the equivalent to $80,000 USD. I believe in he states you can pick up a basicish 55SLK for about $50,000. You can't beat global macro economics!

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
I believe that all in US buying an MB will have to sign an agreement not to export the car. Going thru the INTL MB site, I've noticed that people in Singapore pay about US $170,000 for a full option SLK which costs about $66K out the door here including tax.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I never heard anything about an agreement not to export my car when I bought it. I don't think that U.S. law would allow that kind of agreement.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
babysml - 5/18/2005 11:56 AM

I did sign one when buying the 350. It may vary by state and may not be truely enforceable.
I asked about this in another thread, and no-one had heard of it except me. The dealer had me sign a piece of paper, with a penalty of $10,000 + costs + attorney's fees if I exported the SLK within 12 months. Because I want to move to France in the next six months, I sent off an email to MBUSA querying this. They replied to say they have forwarded my email to the dealer for handling. Seems like MBUSA really don't want to be involved - especially as it's obvious most people haven't signed the same kind of document - which suggests that MB know it's not enforceable.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Woolly - 5/18/2005 3:05 PM

I paid about £43,000 for my 350 SLK in the UK, with a few toys. About the equivalent to $80,000 USD. I believe in he states you can pick up a basicish 55SLK for about $50,000. You can't beat global macro economics!
I'm here in the states, where can you pick up a 55SLK for $50,000? I want to buy one. [:)] It's cheap here in the states compared to other countries but it's not that cheap. SLK55 with metallic paint and no options is closer to $65K, full options and tax could run you close to $80 so, it's not that much different. [:(]

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
I've noticed that it is a piece of paper typed up by the dealer and it does not have the MB seal of approval - not even the dealer's letterhead. However, it is pretty sure that the directive comes from MB which does not necessarily want any legal tangle in general. From the dealer's standpoint, they care or less. My guess is that if you take your car somewhere and don't ask, don't tell, it may be just fine.

However, if someone starts exporting cars in the massive, then MB may start getting involved because they will definitely lose money if people in other countries start buying from private dealers here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts