Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

During the recent snow/ice in the UK, my B Class rolled down my driveway and crashed into a metal fence.

The number plate holder seemed to take most of the damage and this is easy to replace.

I took the car to a local dealer and they seemed to think the whole bumper would need replacing but I am not sure if is worth it for a small dent as I think it may be possible to repair.

Below is a picture of the driveway the car rolled down, the black metal fence at the bottom is where the car crashed into. Amazingly, the damage doesn't seem too bad.

There is also a picture of the dent in the bumper. I think the bumper is made of plastic so I don't know if repair is possible?

Also the silver grill, near the Mercedes badge seems to be a bit loose but apart from the dent, the bumper seems fine.

Anyone have any idea of the best (and cheapest) way to get this repaired in the UK? I live in Buckinghamshire.

There is also a small crack you can see just under the Mercedes badge.

·
Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
11,048 Posts
Hi buduk, Welcome to our merry group.

Sorry to hear of your mishap.
The damage and crack is minor and seems very repairable. The plastic chrome grill will probably need replacing but it's hard to see the dark bumper damage.

Try a straight on shot and try to keep the pics to 800 x 800 as requested by BW. I'm scrolling from one side to the other of the screen and not able to view the whole pic. Lets see the lower bumper also at the plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I have tried to get some better shots which you will hopefully see below, also I have tried to resize them so they display better.

The numberplate holder is cracked in the middle, so it currently held together with a mixture of black tape and glue but will be replaced when I take the car for its first service at the end of this month.

The black plate holder is actually quite cheap to replace.

Bottom of number plate and bumper.

Crack near Mercedes badge.

Damaged number plate holder stuck together with tape!

·
Registered
B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
1,581 Posts
Hi Buduk

First the view of your driveway is beautiful :thumbsup:and hard to think that such a tranquil place could harm anything.

Dealers and major body shops always recommend total replacement. More profit and less fiddling about.

Try to find a mobile detailing shop that does work for car lots or rental agencies they can fix most dents and blemishes for next to nothing. The chrome will need replacing as DEVOURS mentioned but the bumper can be saved.

Neighbour had severe damages to rear bumper and was quoted $1800 to repair at dealership. Local mobile shop did the work for $175.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks.

I now think I will try and see if I can get someone to repair the bumper rather than having it replaced at the dealer.

I guess the grill should be much cheaper to have replaced than the bumper would be.

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
There are always lots of bumpers available on ebay. and grills

The newer bumpers (UkMarket) have a built in number plate holder.

A body shop would give a cheaper repair than a M/B dealer (who might farm the work out anyway.

·
Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
11,048 Posts
Much better pics and definitely repairable. It is a nasty hit and cut but the right shop will fix it and you won't know it.
Sometimes with heat, they can reshape the small dents.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts